“Payment beware....”

Laurel Cottage B&B
yorkshire, England
“Payment beware....”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Please bear in mind that if you book here full payment is taken from your account as you arrive. I received a receipt for payment for my whole party when I asked for the bill when we had our final - not very pleasant - breakfast. So I had paid for my friends without my knowledge. I have reviewed the 'policies' as the host liked to call them and there is nothing to indicate that this would happen. Luckily my 'debit' account had enough in to cover the bill. The receipt said 'customer not present' - which I was. When this was questioned the 'gentleman' was extremely aggressive and rude. He pointed out all our 'misdemeanours' as guests in his 'home'. To which I pointed out that we had paid quite a lot of money to stay in his 'home'. I haven't slept properly since and am considering whether to contact the local tourist information centre. There were some nice things, but he spoiled it. Luckily we had stayed with lovely people the other nights of our holiday.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Juani56

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

The host, Jason, was unreasonably aggressive verbally towards us. Jumped toward unfounded conclusions. I've never experienced a hospitality host overreacting like he did. His staff appeared nervous. The rooms were small. The food was ordinary and not well cooked (tepid sausage & black pudding) disappointing. Wifi not available in room only on stairwell. Bathroom small. Something red on overmirror light cord looked like blood. Bathroom fan not working.

• Stayed May 2013
8 Thank Theresa N
jasonjamesturner, Owner at Laurel Cottage B&B, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Hi there,
I am terribly sorry I asked you to take off your muddy climbing boots when you had total disregard for my very polite request to take off all 6 pairs of muddy boots on your arrival.
I am sorry you felt this request was asked in the way you described, I genuinly thought i was being diplomatic (as i was certain that all 3 of you would have taken your boots off if you were walking mud on your own carpets).
As far as the breakfast, I am also sorry you experience was not like most other guests who we cook for here and that we won an award for.
Fortunately, most guests know what I am personally like, and know that every staff member has been here with me for what will soon be 3 years--speaks volumes i think.
I have an amazing high degree of customer focus, but i feel BOTH reviews you left are unfounded.
leeds
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Have been staying at Laurel Cottage at least once a year for a long time, and have never been disapointed, the current owners have done a really nice job updating the interior of the cottage but still keeps its old world charm, the breakfast,s are the best we have ever had in a B&B.
Cant wait to go back again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank moobell
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to this b&b and we had another fabulous weekend. Ideally situated near the lake,bars and restaurants. We were made to feel very welcome. The room was clean & spacious and the breakfast was to die for. Will definitely be returning in the near future

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janet S
Lancashire
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Enjoyed a two night stay with my daughter in April , we had a twin room lovely and clean and warm. Breakfast was fab I had the Vegetarian breakfast which was excellent. Choice of cereals and juices , fresh tea and coffee followed by a cooked breakfast , great location right in the centre and allocated parking which was great. Hosts and staff were very welcoming would certainly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the front onto the road but didnt find things too noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Fourstarlancashire
Belford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2013

First time we have stayed here, but we will be back. Jason and Yui are the perfect hosts, very attentive but not obtrusive. Lovely building, well equipped rooms, great location, pleasant staff and a fantastic breakfast. We have always judged breakfasts by the quality of the sausage and
the sausage here is divine (really good Cumberland) served in a very nice dining room by very friendly efficient staff. Jason cooks the breakfast and nothing is too much trouble. We often come to Bowness and have stayed in some wonderful guest houses but Laurel Cottage is the best so far. All in all we enjoyed our 4 day stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank retnuhblue
Leeds
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Centrally located with a fantastic breakfast!. Room nice and clean and warm, staff friendly and helpful. Would recommend to anyone looking to stay in Bowness-on-Windermere.Three night stay here and I usually dont bother with breakfast after the first day, but did here! Yum!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple