Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

3,203 results
All reviews steam train top deck yellow cruise boat trip motor museum return trip lovely cruise train ride interesting commentary minute cruise steamers ticket office great trip stunning scenery enjoyable trip value for money windermere lake
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I joined one the MV Teal at Newby Bridge landing stage for the short journey to Bowness Pier. We had not sailed on the lake since the Bowness Bay Boating Co merged with the Windermere Iron and Steamboat Co. The owners of the large white ladies.
While we enjoyed to cruise to Bowness, we returned on one of the smaller Amsterdam type boats which was very crammed and full, which frankly we did not really think it was worth the money as these smaller boats resemble a water bus service and not a cruise.
Maybe its now a case of pack them in, rather than offer more relaxing cruise.

1  Thank Peter G
Windermere L, administrator at Windermere Lake Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Many thanks for your review of our attraction. I am sorry to read that you were not entirely satisfied with the vessels you chose to travel on this particular day. We have a range of differently sized vessels with different facilities onboard which all run a regular service throughout the day, so if you miss a boat, its usually not too long to wait for the next. The different vessels (Steamers & Launches) are clearly colour-coded on our timetables, so passengers can decide which vessel they would prefer. Sometimes at a particularly busy time we may choose to add an extra launch boat to help deal with the demand. All our boats have very strict regulations regarding how many they are allowed to accommodate so there is always a seat for every person onboard.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

On holiday decided to take a short cruise, 50 minutes aboard a lake cruise. The boat stopped off at both Wray Castle, a National Trust property and Brockhole, a Lake District Visitor centre. It's okay to get off at either or both and catch a later boat back, all for £7.40. An enjoyable part of our day, parking next to pier at £4.50 for all day so good value there too, and only just over half a mile into town.

Windermere L, administrator at Windermere Lake Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Many thanks for your lovely, informative review of our Green cruise. I do hope you can sail with us again.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We did the red route from Ambleside to Bowness and it was the perfect distance for my young children who are both under 5 - not too long but long enough for them to take in what they were looking at and find the whole thing very exciting.
To say it was a hot day it was not overly busy but I imagine in peak season it would be wise to adopt a laid back approach and be willing to flexible with times that you get on and off. (Apply suncream if the sun appears as the coolness of the lake is very deceptive as my shoulders testify to!)
I would do a little more planning of where to park in Ambleside next time as we were unfamiliar with the town so this meant we 'wandered' a bit too much for our kids - it wouldn't have been a problem if it was a child free excursion however.
Ambleside and Bowness are both lovely but very popular towns so expect hustle, bustle and tourists of all kinds.

Many thanks for your kind & very informative review of our attraction. I'm sure your information will be very useful for parents/guardians of young children & reassure readers that we are toddler-friendly! many thanks

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I took and recommend an evening cruise (departs 20.15) to watch the sunset over Windermere. Tickets were £10 each which for an hour and 15 minutes cruise seemed reasonably and was well worth the money.

2  Thank Jackw1711

Many thanks for your lovely review & recommendation of our sunset cruise- Your picture is stunning too! I'm very pleased you both enjoyed the cruise & hope you can sail with us again.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We bought a combined ticket for the boat and train, which actually represented good value. We were on the first sailing down from Bowness to Lakeside, so we were on a smaller boat. Unfortunately this meant we had to collapse our son’s buggy, but this was only a minor inconvenience, and the downstairs was empty enough we could stow it out of everyone’s way. The trip takes about 40 minutes or so, and the crew point out all the interesting landmarks on the way. The crew were all friendly and helpful (we were juggling a toddler, a buggy and its contents). There were refreshments on sale but I was unable to have any as my son was asleep on me. They were brewing fresh coffee though and it smelled great.

On the way back we were on a bigger boat, which meant we were up on deck and could keep our pushchair up. There is plenty of seating and everyone has a good view. Again, there was a tour guide telling us about the various landmarks we could see.

It would have been a bit strange if we had come on holiday to Windermere and not actually been out on the lake. The multiple ways you can combine the boat trips with other local attractions make for part of an enjoyable day out.

Windermere L, administrator at Windermere Lake Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Many thanks for your fantastic & informative review of our attraction. We're all so pleased you & your family enjoyed your day out & hope you can visit us again soon!