“Super duper!”
Review of Oakbank House

Oakbank House
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The superior room had wonderful views of the lake. The hotel was situated close to shops, bars and restaurants. Comfortable bed and couch in the spacious rooms. Shower had really low ceiling but was nice and clean. Breakfast is for early birds as it is served between 8.30 - 9.15 I stayed here for 2 nights with my girlfriend and it was just as expected a lovely romantic weekend away.
Highly recommended and would stay again in the future!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you for providing feedback on your stay and I am pleased to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again when you return to the lakes.

There are newer reviews for Oakbank House

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I booked up this hotel in a hurry just a few days before our holiday and had actually thought I was booking a different hotel - with very similar name - in the area; hence my puzzlement when I couldn't find the restaurant! However it was a good mistake. The location is excellent, near to the Lake, cinema, shops and restaurants. The place itself is an impressive older building and reminded me of the guest houses I used to stay in as a child, with a homely communal lounge for guests (although we did not use this during our three day stay, nor did we get a chance to use the pool facilities available in a nearby hotel). Our clean bedroom combined old fashioned charm with modern décor, and had a wonderful view of the lake. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. Given the glowing description of breakfast on the website I did find the choices limited - but perfectly nice. My husband enjoyed his cooked breakfast and the breakfast room was pleasant. Danny, the owner, was friendly and very helpful in telling us about the area.

My only quibbles would be to do with the bathroom. They are not major but I feel an honest review needs to cover them. Our en suite was clean and well decorated but really small. Understandable given the style of house perhaps but I have only ever had such a small en suite in youth hostels and by the end of three nights my back was really aching from the contortions needed to get washed and dressed - and we are average sized people. The toilet had a hygiene seal, although the loo roll had only four sheets left on it and needed changing! I thought one of our face towels had been forgotten but Danny explained that the policy of the guest house was to provide one face towel (2 bath towels) between two to do his bit for the environment. I asked for another, which he immediately provided. I have stayed in many hotels all over the world but have never been asked to share a face towel before and I felt a bit awkward about it. Toiletries are provided but we realised too late had not been replenished the second day, leading to severe rationing! I must stress that I am sure if we had asked we would have got some but it was a bit late at night we felt to be bothering anyone. Condensation did build up in the en suite and bedroom and I can see this must be an ongoing problem for the owners and difficult to keep on top of. These are just minor quibbles but perhaps helpful to anyone planning to stay so they can ask for larger bathroom if necessary and perhaps take emergency shower gel!

All in all though, we really enjoyed our stay here and the atmosphere of the place, with a key to the front door enabling us to return as we wanted. It made a welcome change from impersonal hotels and the view and location could not have been better. Car parking was tight when the guest house filled up but even so, on the last day, Danny kindly said we could leave our car in the car park while we did a last bit of sight seeing. I would certainly recommend this place to others, with the proviso that they might need to be flexible if getting a small en suite!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view and check that your room is en suite, and if you would struggle with a small bat...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and I am pleased that you found us and enjoyed your stay.
I do hope you visit again and we will use your feedback to improve our performance. Danny

Reviewed July 23, 2012

hotel very central but up a steep hill room was very good other than cobwebs on one part of the seiling.thay must of missed them.room was very clean staff happy to help at all times.food very good too would i go back yes thank you danny and staff

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
OakbankHouse, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very dissapointed with ground floor damp smelling room next to the car park.staff where as welcoming as the grim reaper on arrival. If you want 5 star don't stay here its a bog standard b&b nothing more nothing less.can't understand how it has rated so high.very misleading.

• Stayed: July 2012
24  Thank stella1625
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I am sorry you were bitterly disappointed with your room and our service.
We try to make our guests feel welcome but on this occasion we clearly failed. The Grim Reaper sends his/her apologies.
We will use your comments to help us improve our service.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

arrived at 12.30pm expecting to have to wait an hour or so to check in after the long easter weekend but were shown straight to a lovely clean bright bedroom with a beautiful view of the lake, the bed was so comfy i felt like the princess with the pea! really lovely clean hotel did not use the lounge but after seeing a comment on here about an old heater and dirty furniture popped in for a peak and saw neither. so close to all the shops ,restaurants and pubs. breakfast was amazing with endless amounts of coffee and toast should you want it - a bit early for me but my partner thought it was fine. if i had to say anything negative would be bath was too small (Im. 5 10) and kettle had to be boiled on the floor as the lead did not reach the table. lovely time stayed before and will return again. thanks Danny and the lady who looked after us on arrival and at breakfast. ps loved the pink Laura ashley wallpaper.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank dawny1970

Reviewed March 25, 2012

i stayed here with KenR946 at this hotel/guest house and would love to stay again as it was absolutely brilliant. Danny and his staff are friendly they should all get a medal for their hard work. Spotlessly clean good food lots of generousity sweets, sherry perfect. had a great two break. Thanks to everyone at oakbank.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
dannyt, Owner at Oakbank House, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Thank you for staying with us and i am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay here.
I will pass on your comments to all of our team and I hope to see you again when you next visit the lakes. Danny

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Just got back from this little gem of a Guest House.
Danny and Co couldn't do enough for us.Spotlessly clean,nice food.
Loved the Sherry and Sweets and toiletries in the room.
Everything good including the price!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind comments.
We hope to see you again.