“The White House Bowness - Great location”

and 1 more site!
The White House Hotel
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked the White house by walking through the door and asking if they had rooms that night. The reception and bar area are tired and need an upgrade and as I was shown up to our rooms along a scruffy corridor with carpet that needed a steam clean. My heart sank, that was until the doors to our rooms were unlocked. One room had a wrought iron bedstead the other didn't, both had spotless bedding with a black throw and cushions setting off the crisp white bedding, they were roomy and had wall mounted TV's.
I slept the best I have in months apparently the beds are new and were not skimped on. The bathroom had everything to offer including complimentary toiletries but the mildew in some of the grouting in the shower let it down. Tea and coffee making facilities were in white fay bone china cups and saucers. Breakfast was a surprise with fresh kippers smoked salmon and scrambled egg amongst the choice. Server was friendly and efficient. I spoke to John the owner who purchased the White house and the one next door eleven months ago, he wanted to do more works to overhaul it completely but was loyal to pre-made bookings hence the tired bits. Would I stay here again? Most defiantly, it was comfortable, welcoming and a great place to stop to visit the lakes.

Room Tip: We had rooms 1 & 2 in the old part of the hotel ( it is a listed building) apparently they are...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SurreySunburnt

Reviewed July 14, 2012

The overall impression was that the hotel was a work in progress. At first sight it looks new and fresh but closer examination highlights how poorly painted things like the starircase and bedroom doors are. Our room was light and airy but lacked any real character. The "desk" top was badly stained, the radiator didn't work and neither did the heated towel rail or the extractor fan in the wet room. A lack of shelving in the wet room means you need to ensure you have all the toiletries you need once under the shower or you will be dashing in and out of the shower. There were two very large damp patches on the wet room ceiling. On the morning of our departure I took a showere and the water was absolutely fine. My wife went for her shower a short while later and couldn't get any hot water.
The breakfast was tasty and freshly cooked.
One point to bear in mind is that the hotel does not have any on site parking leaving visitors to find somewhere on the street or a public car park somewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
23  Thank maltwhiskyman
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I were on our first visit to the Lake district and we found the stay here absolutely superb. The room was clean and refreshed every day. The staff were friendly and very helpful. John Stock greeted us every morning and he was always smiling. It was his exceptional knowledge of the lakes that helped us enjoy the area to it's full extent. We will definitely be going back there and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at The White House for my hen weekend and all I can say is that I have never experienced such exceptional service. From the start, the manager John went above and beyond helping with the hen do arrangements and upon our arrival he continued to constantly surprise me with the level of customer service.

On the second night we ate at the hotel (having eaten out the first night in a relatively expensive restaurant) and we ended up wishing we had eaten at The White House both nights. The food was exceptional and incredibly good value for money.

I cannot recommend this place enough if you are looking for a good value stay with great food and the best service.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Having read some negative reviews I wasn't sure what to expect..

Sure there it is still some work to do outside (owner is poorly in hospital at the mo). But inside is great. Spotlessly clean. Shiny new ensuite. Shower with an ample flow rate.

Our room wasn't massive. But let's be honest. You don't go to the lakes to sit in a bedroom...! It was quite big enough for 2 adults and 2 children.

This hotel is right in the centre of bowness (behind the church). It wasn't quiet at night. You are in the heart of a busy tourist area. If you want peace and quiet and to see sheep wandering past - go somewhere else!!

We thought it was the best value.hotel that we have ever stayed in the lake district.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Me, my boyfriend and another couple were booked in to stay in the stag for the saturday night, when we got there they had booked us in for the friday night by accident! They said we will move you to a nearby hotel which is actually nicer.... And nicer it is!! I visit bowness a couple of times a year and this is the nicest, cleanest place with amazingly friendly staff!! Infact 'john' really did make sure he looked after us after being upset about the miss booking at the stag. He gave me his card for next time we visit which will be soon because we love the lakes!! I really cannot fault this hotel 1 bit. From the location to the breakfast in the morning its just fantastic! If you want a beautiful stay you MUST stay here!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights, and after arriving and finding the hotel, but all the doors locked, wondered what had happened, until a member of staff nearly ran after us saying "sorry we are open", and this late afternoon on a Friday.

Room was a good size, but obvious that perhaps, as they are still doing building work, that they should be trying a bit harder as there had been lots of dirt and marks all through the entrance to the 'annex' and all up the walls.

Bed wasn't very well made, sheet just 'draped' over the mattress so sheet kept moving.

Non of Windermere is good value for money, but to be told by a member of staff to show our room key in the bar to get 'local rates' on drinks, was nice to know, but the one night we went into the bar, it was nearly empty and at 8pm playing music so loud no-one could talk, so we went elsewhere.

Location wasn't bad, but to have to walk outside, around the front of the bar to then go into the 'older' part of the hotel for breakfast was a pain, and one morning in pouring rain, we nearly didn't bother. The designer needs SHOOTING

We got a bed, a bathroom and tea & coffee, and Breakfast which unlike other people staying, the staff managed to get ours right. Other people seemed to be getting all sorts of different things. But ours was fine, and typical English breakfast and the manager loved the fact my wife only eats toast for breakfast! not sure why but...
Might be worth noting for light sleepers that some of the room in the annex is quite close to the nightclub 'bucks' but I think the weather had put a lot off as we only got disturbed by a taxi late one night.

In all, knock £20 a night off the price, find some car parking like most other B&B's have, and get a proper house-keeper and it would be an OK B&B.

Room Tip: Better than some, but there are better out there. Maybe in a year when they have finished everything...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank welshwizardpaint
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!