“Over priced and just unloved and grubby!”

The White House Hotel
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We came here for one night after coming from the Western Lakes. As soon as we saw the crowds we were a little annoyed but tried to put it behind us. We checked in, and upon checking in were told that the couple before had bust the toilet seat, so I was thinking, what a great place this is! We were placed in the Annex which is located just round the corner. The walked up the stairs and could see the walls and skirting was scuffed and marks. The wood work was just finished cheaply as well. At this point I was thinking, this is not worth £105! Got into our room, and as we were on the top floor I kept banging my head on the apex and I am only 6ft 1". Problem being that the petruded too far so I was always bending my head just to go to the toilet or if I wanted to walk acorss the room.
Then there was no toilet paper in the room, went down and asked for some to be then have the gentlemen shout to someone else to put some "bog" roll in our room.
We went out for dinner, but considering we spent a £105 on a room, you should feel reasonably comfortable that you don't mind having a quiet hour in the room, but we wanted to be anywhere else but in the room. Bathroom was pokey, kept banging my head to make a cup of tea and just felt as though it was a hotel run by people that don't really love running a hotel.
Breakfast was alright, but you weren't offered a menu, and my partner wanted some decaf coffee to which they didn't have any.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
29  Thank gxm158

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Stayed at The Whitehouse over the Jubilee Weekend and had a great time. Was met on arrival by John who is the Hotel Manager and was a very nice man who made you feel very welcome. His local knowledge is excellent and because the hotel has no parking facilities, he is very helpful in finding you somewhere to park your car during your stay, which wont cost you a penny!
We paid £90 per night and stayed in room 2 in the newly furbished annex part of the property. We found the room to be excellent, spacious and most importantly from my point of view, clean. The bathroom was also very clean and had a wet area with a hot and powerful shower. As you can imagine during this Bank Holiday weekend the surrounding bars were very busy and the annex part of The Whitehouse is next to Churchills Bar and The Stags Head Hotel and nightclub. Despite this, never were we disturbed in the night with by noise whatsoever.

We only ate breakfast in the restaurant during our stay and this was very nice, therefore I am convinced that the meals in there would have been the same standard.

I know for a fact that one of the recent reviews about this hotel has been written by a competitor and has not been very complimentary about it...Shame on you!!!.......So take it from me, this is a very nice place to stay, with friendly staff and is excellent value for money.

So, would I stay here again?........I dont think I need to answer that do you?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We arrived in Bowness on a Saturday afternoon, the town was pretty much booked up, The White House did have a Vacancy due to another couple leaving early. We paid £90 for a double room with breakfast included.
I feel it may have been worth the money if the room had been cleaned properly, it was a bit rough round the edges which didn’t help matters, marks on the walls, stains on the carpet etc. Although the bed was clean and comfy, which is the most important thing. I was a little disappointed with our ‘Lake View’ yes you can see the lake if you peer out of the side of one of the windows, look through the railings of the car park opposite and hope that there are no big vehicles parked in the way. Never mind, we kept telling ourselves we were lucky to get a room at short notice…..
I have no idea what was going on in the restaurant, we ordered a couple of drinks and picked up as menu, only to be told food was off that night because they had a big party in, so off we went into the town and had a nice meal somewhere else, we returned to the White House at around 9pm, there was no one else there but the man stood outside said they were open, we sat in the garden with a drink and the whole time we were being watched by the bar man, which was quite uncomfortable – maybe he was worried we were going to run off with the glasses? As soon as we stood up to leave he’d grabbed the glasses off the table and before we’d got out of the garden, we heard the door slam shut behind him – and they say customer service is dead!
We did have a decent night’s sleep with the exception of a few noisy passers-by, it wasn’t advertised that the hotel was two doors down from a nightclub. I woke up looking forward to a lovely refreshing shower in the newly installed wet room, it did look impressive at least but what we got was more like a dribble.
Breakfast wasn’t being served until 9am and we had to be gone early in the morning so I can’t comment on it but we did try and make ourselves a coffee in the room until we realised the milk was out of date and the cups were dirty.

All in all I’d say not brilliant!

22  Thank Kealy F
Reviewed May 15, 2012

arrived at hotel and even before shown rooms asked to pay for them the room we had was awful dirty plain glass in bathroom manager who showed us room said there was a nice veiw of the lake all we could see was broken brollys and rubbish milk in room was out of date and so were the crisps behind the bar . toilets in the bar were disgusting loads of jobs in the place needed finishing .the only bonus was staff were very friendly whoever has taken this place over needs to get it sorted

18  Thank wilbermac
Reviewed May 12, 2012

we stayed in the annex rooms..no heat & it was cold!!!! the room was small the bathroom was large, but had to get out the next day because the heat either was not turned on or it wasnt connected, as the guy in the bar told us he put the heat on? no wifi!!! i guess in the main area you get wifi but its closed at night. other than that your a very short step from the lake...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank beachblondegirl
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just got back from two night stay at the white house. The people are great and the food was lovely. The rooms are grea in the new annex, but the gardens need finishing - all in all though, we really enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: No parking, so find a spot to park out of town, five mins walk away. Ask John .
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We booked the white house after previous accomodation arrangements had fallen through. Upon arrival we were given a choice of rooms, one being vaguely bigger than the other. The furnishings were ok but it just needed cleaning!! The carpet hadnt been hoovered, the bathroom floor was filthy and it was unbelievably basic. Very dissapointing room.
I agree with all the other comments about breakfast being basic and the whole place needing refreshing.
However, management and staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was superb.

Stayed: March 2012
13  Thank Kathrynhelena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Stags Head
Stags Head
#12 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Skelwith Bridge Hotel
Skelwith Bridge Hotel
#8 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!