We arrived on 17th August 2012 just after 5pm. Christine greeted us and showed us to our room (room 1), explained the keys and what time breakfast was served. We collected our bags from the car, changed into suitable clothes and footwear (it was raining when we arrived!) and set off into Bowness. We turned left then right down Longtail Hill... Walking down the hill is pleasant, although a little steep but the walk back is not for the faint hearted!!! Especially after a few drinks and in almost 100% humidity!!!!! If you turn right out the gate the descent and ascent back is much more gentle.
The guest house cannot be faulted in anyway. Everywhere is spotless, the shower is lovely although my boyfriend did soak the bathroom on the first night with the shower - tip - point towards the wall!! The bed was spacious and comfortable and the view from the windows are wonderful. Clean towels are provided every day if necessary.
The breakfast selection is plentiful, both myself and my boyfriend had the cooked breakfast both mornings and the food is fantastic.
We ate at the tapas bar on the Saturday night. The food in there was wonderful and reasonably priced. We got a taxi to and from there and it was £3.50 each way. We took the boat from Bowness to Ambleside which again was lovely and we had a nice walk round Ambleside before getting some lunch at The Waterhead Bay, which was slightly more expensive pub food but no complaints to what we were served.
All in all it was a very much needed break to unwind and relax. Ian and Christine with their wonderful guest house helped us to do just that. We would most definitely return.
Thank you again
Gemma and Andy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fair Rigg is a beautiful period guest house in Bowness on Windermere, where Richard and Christine provide high quality, comfortable and stylish accommodation. Relax and enjoy comfortable beds in well appointed, spacious rooms with Period features and all with large en-suite bathrooms, mostly with baths. Home-made breakfasts and a warm welcome await you in the lovely surroundings of The Lake District National Park. We have free private off-road parking on site for all guests, one space for each room. Special Offers always shown on TripAdvisor and on our own website. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Fair Rigg Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fair Rigg Guest House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- Fair Rigg Guest House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District