My wife planned a surprise 7 day holiday in the Lake District for our first wedding anniversary at the end of April and I have to say she picked a perfect place to stay!
We stayed in the Langdale suite and it has to be said it's worth every penny. The room has a HUGE bay window that must be as tall as a door that allows you to observe Windermere north and south of Bowness. It's a fantastic view not only to wake up to but also sit down and relax after a long day's walk and watch the sunset. In fact the view is so good the ONLY way you can get an even better view is to go on a short walk up to Post Knott and then onto Brantfell to enjoy a 360 degree panorama of the area.
The room itself is a very good size, nicely decorated and is finished with antique furniture. The four poster bed is amazing and features some fantastic carvings. The mattress is SO comfortable. I NEVER sleep well in any bed but my own, BUT hand on heart I have to say it's the most comfortable bed I have every slept in and fell asleep very quickly. Being located away from town it is extremely peaceful and quiet.
Parking is a little limited and you might have to move your car for other guests or leave your keys with the hosts, but that is the only negative thing I can think of: it's hardly worth mentioning.
The hosts are friendly and very welcoming and always make a point of making conversation in the morning. There is a good selection of cooked and non-cooked breakfasts and guests can customise them if they wish if they don't like certain elements. In addition to the main breakfast choice is a good selection of cereals and fruit and yoghurt as a supplement. Tea and coffee and toast is made fresh and the hosts ALWAYS offered top-ups or re-fills. Some reviews have marked this place down for there not being enough food, but we were always asked if we would like any more of anything we had- not that there wasn't enough in the first place. I have a very healthy appetite and found the food plentiful to begin with. I don't like waste, and certainly not when it comes to food, so I applaud their policy of only putting out what is needed and top-up if required.
We weren't able to make breakfast one morning because we had an early activity, so Janz kindly made us a packed breakfast to take with us of a croissant and a muffin each that were not only huge but also very tasty, as well as some fruit. It can't be said that the hosts aren't accommodating.
The location of the guesthouse is at the top of a very steep hill (that's why it has fantastic views) so be warned if you don't like hills! My wife and I are very fit and do a lot of walking so it doesn't bother us in the slightest. It's a 0.3 mile walk to the town centre so it should take 4 to 7 minutes to walk down and 5 to 8 minutes to walk up, depending on ability. There are plenty of restaurants in the area to suit all tastes from English to European to Asian, the only thing missing being American fast food (hooray! not a McD's in sight!).
The hosts are very knowledgeable about the area and have plenty of contacts so can easily assist with planning activities.
Bowness is very central to the area and a great place to stay. We abandoned the car for the most of the week, favouring bus transport and our own legs. The price for explorer tickets is very reasonable and allows you to go to virtually all the major towns and villages and allows everyone to enjoy the views whilst travelling.
All in all, top marks here, we'll be coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- STUNNING VIEWS FROM YOUR ROOM: Blenheim Lodge B and B sits in the heart of the Lake District National Park and boasts spectacular Lake Windermere and fell views. QUIET LOCATION AND DALES WAY WALK: Nestled in peaceful countryside, our Lake District Bed and Breakfast adjoins National Trust acres, only a minute's stroll to The Dales Way Walk leading to 4 panoramic viewpoints. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS: Hidden at the end of a cul-de-sac, Blenheim Lodge is a quiet retreat tucked away from noisy main road traffic, crowds, and late night revelers, but only a 5-minute walk to the amenities and attractions of Bowness centre and Lake Windermere, offering the best of both worlds with relaxing accommodation combined with stunning views. COMFY BEDS: Guests can be assured of a restful night's sleep with our bespoke beds, most with deep pocket sprung mattresses topped with plump pillows and fluffy duvets. LOCAL PRODUCE: Blenheim Lodge serves quality hearty butcher-made sausage and bacon. A local dairy delivers fresh milk and eggs daily. MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR STAY: Blenheim Lodge is a Bed and Breakfast, but we are more than happy to act as concierge where we can assist. Feel free to ask help with transport, guiding for hikes and angling; romantic escapes; dinner arrangements; etc. FREEBIES: We offer 2 free local fishing permits and have outside taps for walkers and anglers to clean their boots, fish and fishing tackle! There is also free WIFI and a private on-site car park. SPECIAL OFFERS: Please contact us DIRECT for any special deals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Blenheim Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blenheim Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- Blenheim Lodge Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District