“The hotel may look a little tired but the staff have plenty of energy.”

Windermere Hydro Hotel
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel seems popular with groups due, I expect, to it's size and position. We were a group of around 30 walkers and there were also two other large groups of (non walkers) at the same time. The hotel coped incredibly well with all. Although the dining area was almost full, orders for food were taken and delivered without delays or complaint. There was a good choice of evening meals and breakfast was buffet style.
Outside of meal times the hotel did not seem overcrowded due to the large bar and a number of other rooms for people to socialise in. We discovered a games room in a basement which had snooker and table tennis tables and a dart board. We had difficulty locating the lights in here and it smelt rather musty.
There is plenty of parking space. The hotel is situated a short distant up a steepish hill from the main Bowness centre and may prove difficult for those with limited mobility. Otherwise it is in an excellent position for reaching the Windermere ferries or taking a walk directly from the hotel into the hills.

Room Tip: Room 49 had excellent views of the lake, once the rain and cloud cleared! It was a large room with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed at the Hydro on the13th of September for three nights, The hotel was great for an old hotel we knew what we were booking. Our room was a first floor balcony suit that had a separate living area and a large king size sled type bed. The tellies were ancient with a picture you could just make out but we survived, The toilet was pretty well maintained and reasonably modern the suit was one of the refurbished rooms in the hotel but the décor is already getting grubby and the carpets are a bit rough The meals were first class and good choice on the menu with some specials every night I used the gym and the small pool a couple of times but not the most inspiring experience the pool is freezing and the gym equipment ancient the Jacuzzi smelt like a bleach bath. All in all a reasonable experience but will not rush back. Down side my wife left a charger in the socket and when we got home I phoned and asked if it had been handed in by the cleaners the reception said they would check and call me back, Still waiting other than that and the reception trying to lump a bottle of expensive wine on to my bill and no apology for trying to take 20 quid off me for something I did not have Sorry but it's your fault not mine. I felt I was being scolded for not paying up. I also heard a few others saying to check your bills as some of the staff don't do very good English. There are a lot of coach tours coming to this hotel but no problems with service

Room Tip: ask for a lake view and also a balcony suite otherwise the Burnside hotel has good rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dougalboy
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Every two years I meet up with friends for a reunion at the Windermere Hydro Hotel. It is old and full of character. Over the years there have been continuing improvements and refurbishment of the building. This place will always need a huge amount of money spending on it, but it is comfortable, very well run and has excellent food in a stunning period dining room. The staff are efficient, friendly and helpful and seem to genuinely want their guests to enjoy their stay in this wonderful part of the Lake District. The bedrooms seem to be in various stages of refurbishment and I had one with a small, but newly done out bathroom, as well as a lake view which was lovely. If you like character then you will love the hotel, but if you are used to modern soul-less places which are perfectly decorated then you may find areas which are not to your liking. Another plus is the large car park which is free! This hotel suits me fine and I hope to go back again in 2 years time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view. You may have to pay a small supplement.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a 2 night weekend break. We stayed in a basic room with no view which was ok as we don't spend much time in room. The room was ok nice comfy bed, very quiet slept well. The hotel is dated which we like,old and Victorian they don't build em like this anymore. The hotel is in a great location not far from town centre but not good if you cant walk up a steep hill, it has fantastic views over lake.
The breakfast was very good with serve yourself full English breakfast and selection of cereals and juices. We stayed on bed and breakfast so don't know what food was like in restaurant as there is lots of restaurants to eat out in Bowness.
Especially liked the leisure centre with swimming pool, Jacuzzi, and sauna which is situated next to hotel. Nice to relax in after a long days walking, we would stay here again enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank W7052RBdianed
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have visited the Hydro several times. This time we took the family, including 2 young children. The rooms with Lake views were wonderful, the staff were very friendly and always helpful and the food was good. The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Bowness with easy access to many facilities for the children. We will definitely return on our next visit to the Lakes. Thank you to all the staff for making our holiday so enjoyable.

Room Tip: I recommend the rooms with Lake views and balconies.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2013

my partner and i had a few days off so we looked on laterooms.comm and the windermere hydro hotel came up as a place with a indoor pool which we had requested. we read some of the recent reviews and they were very mixed some good and some not so. We decided to book and we arrived early evening after a little ride around bowness looking for the hotel. It is up a rather steep road but we managed very well to walk up and down (and i was on crutches, so it took us a little longer than most people, about 10mins max). the hotel on arrival looked very nice, we parked the car in the lower car park and there are a set of quite steep steps back up, or you could do what we did and walk up the ramp. the reception staff were very friendly and helpful we had a room on the second floor and there was a good lift to all floors. the room was very large and clean the bed was a king size and we over looked the lake which was brilliant. the bathroom was the biggest we had ever seen in a hotel and had been re furbished recently the bath was big enough for two? the walls had been tastefully tiled and there was a separate large shower. we went to the indoor pool, which is located by the side of the hotel and down the metal steps, remember to ask for the door code as this is needed to enter. the changing room is quite small there are a few changing rooms and lockers and showers. the pool is aprox 10 metres but very nice and clean the spa pool was nice and clean but the sauna was not on when we stayed. we had the pool to our selves two afternoons which was very nice. the food at breakfast was very good, you are served tea or coffee then you go in to a side room for cereals and cooked food, toast etc.We ate down in bowness two nights and on the last night we booked a table at the hotels restaurant, which was very nice and reasonable The hotel as a whole looks a little tired and in need of a makeover in places, if you look closely but if you look past this and remember how old the building is, its a good place to stay. And the family who now own it are trying to up grade things like double glazing and new bathrooms going in If we have to say anything bad about this hotel, we probably have to say the floor boards in our room creaked badly when you walked to the bathroom, ( so sorry if you were below us we did try to tip toe) we would still recommend this to family and friends as a very good place to stay as a base to explore the lakes, at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: we were on the second floor at the front so had a brill view of the lake from two large windows in t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I apologise for my delay in writing this review...! In March 2013 I booked My parents for a 2 night stay with evening meal via 'livingsocial deals'.
My father became unwell and had to return home after one night. The staff were very understanding and agreed to keep the second night for when he was feeling better. Which they did without any problem. It was very kind and something that I expect not many hotels would do.
My parents have reported that the food was brilliant and the room had a great view of the lake.
They would love to return

Room Tip: I understand the hotel is gradually upgrading the rooms so ask for an already upgraded room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
North Lakes Hotel & Spa

Been to Windermere Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!