We stayed for a weekend in late September - exploring the town and walking nearby.
It has to be said that the first approach to the hotel look unpromising since most of the accommodation is in the form of small bungalow-like rooms along the front drive or in a two-storey block near the rear entrance - with external staircase. In short, the accommodation looks rather like a US motel and this looks unconventional to the typical UK eye, especially given the attractive Victorian building that is the hub of the hotel (restaurant/bar/lounge). However, it's a system that works very well in the US and it works very well here too.
That initial appearance is really the only significant downside we found with the hotel
We had one of the bungalows very close to reception and, inside, it was very roomy, with decent amounts of cupboard and drawer space, three chairs and still a lot of available floor space. Although the decoration was a bit dated to our taste, everything was clean and well maintained and all the systems (heat, lights, hot water worked nicely).
The dining room where we had breakfast looks over a very pretty garden area two two sides. The breakfast was simply excellent with a good range of cold buffet items and some extremely good local produce in the -made-to-order cooked breakfast. Breakfast and reception staff were all very friendly and efficient. We didn't eat in at dinner-time so cannot comment on the food then but the ambiance in the evening certainly looked very cosy and welcoming.
The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from both the village/town centre of Bowness and the ferry stop, depending on which exit you use, so the location is extremely handy.
One note of caution if you are less mobile; the hotel site and the surrounding streets are quite hilly (this is the nature of Bowness) so you may want to bear this in mind.
Overall we found the hotel very comfortable and welcoming and greatly enjoyed our stay there. .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This unique Lake District hotel only two minutes stroll from Lake Windermere and the village of Bowness, is an oasis of peace and tranquillity. The Burn How's unique layout is refreshingly different to most hotels; all of the bedrooms are located outside of the main building within the private grounds making the stay peaceful and relaxing for the discerning guest. You can take picturesque walks from the hotel, or cruise on Lake Windermere, and if you take the Post Knott walk and you find the hotels bench, bring back the inscription and you will have a drink on us. For the shopping magnets find a special Lakeland gift in the village only two minutes walk away. On your return from a full day, relax and meet friends or family in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar, or on pleasant summers evening sit out on the patio and take in the beautiful surroundings. Relax in the comfort of your room choosing from modern chalet style to four poster or traditional bedrooms. Most have private sun terraces. All have ensuite bathrooms, colour televisions, telephones and hot beverages. Rooms on the ground floor have direct access to the rose garden and patio, with some having disabled facilities. There is ample free parking available. Experience English and French Cuisine made only from the freshest produce and served in the style in which Burn How Garden House Hotel is famous. Three courses and coffee is around £35.00 Per person. At the end of the day relax with family and friends in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar or on a pleasant summers evening take in the beautiful surroundings of the patio and gardens. Shoppers and browsers will delight in the speciality stores and attractions in nearby Windermere and Bowness. Whilst a drive over the Hard Knott pass is for the courageous with its 1 in 3 and 2.5 Gradients - but the views are spectacular. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Burn How Garden House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Burn How Hotel
- Best Western Bowness On Windermere
- Bowness-On-Windermere Best Western
- The Burn How Garden House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District