We had met up with friends for lunch at Lindeth Howe. That was very good indeed. We decided to have a night in the Lake District, fancied a change, and noted the good reviews of Burn How. We called, and managed to get the internet rate, but no lower! This is more a motel than a hotel. The rooms are scattered about the lovely gardens. The rooms all seem to be of good size. I have often found hotels of this type to be a bit cold and musty. This was not so. The room was large, with a super modern bathroom. The carpet and decor were a bit tired, but the heating was pewerful and the lighting was much brighter than the average hotel. The bed was very comfortable. We only wanted a light dinner, and were surprised how empty it was with only one more table occupied even though the hotel was almost full. . I think this is due to the superb situation so close to Bowness that there is a massive choice of restaurants for eating out. The food wasgood but not multiple rosette standard so common in this area.
Walking back to the room in the rain was the only downside. All the reports said that the breakfast was the highlight, and so it proved. Seldom does one get such a splendid selection of fresh fruit at a hotel in this country. Seldom is there such a good choice of cooked breakfast items. The staff were universally nice friendly and helpful. It is hard to rate value. For example we found Linthwaite House to be absolutely superb, but even at a discount rate it was double the price of Burn How. Maybe 4 dots on an absolute level, but considring the price it just makes a 5. So would we go again, indeed yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This unique Lake District hotel only two minutes stroll from Lake Windermere and the village of Bowness, is an oasis of peace and tranquillity. The Burn How's unique layout is refreshingly different to most hotels; all of the bedrooms are located outside of the main building within the private grounds making the stay peaceful and relaxing for the discerning guest. You can take picturesque walks from the hotel, or cruise on Lake Windermere, and if you take the Post Knott walk and you find the hotels bench, bring back the inscription and you will have a drink on us. For the shopping magnets find a special Lakeland gift in the village only two minutes walk away. On your return from a full day, relax and meet friends or family in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar, or on pleasant summers evening sit out on the patio and take in the beautiful surroundings. Relax in the comfort of your room choosing from modern chalet style to four poster or traditional bedrooms. Most have private sun terraces. All have ensuite bathrooms, colour televisions, telephones and hot beverages. Rooms on the ground floor have direct access to the rose garden and patio, with some having disabled facilities. There is ample free parking available. Experience English and French Cuisine made only from the freshest produce and served in the style in which Burn How Garden House Hotel is famous. Three courses and coffee is around £35.00 Per person. At the end of the day relax with family and friends in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar or on a pleasant summers evening take in the beautiful surroundings of the patio and gardens. Shoppers and browsers will delight in the speciality stores and attractions in nearby Windermere and Bowness. Whilst a drive over the Hard Knott pass is for the courageous with its 1 in 3 and 2.5 Gradients - but the views are spectacular. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Burn How Garden House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Burn How Hotel
- Best Western Bowness On Windermere
- Bowness-On-Windermere Best Western
- The Burn How Garden House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District