“Lovely place and great value!”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Lovely place and great value!”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

My husband and I have just spent a relaxing two days at Lindeth Howe, and we are already looking forward to returning!

We took advantage of one of the hotel's autumn offers, which represented the most amazing value for money. We upgraded to a deluxe room, which was incredibly spacious and well appointed. The super-king sized bed was very comfortable and we slept very well indeed after the amazing dinners...

The food at Lindeth Howe was just delicious. With an extensive choice ranging from seafood to game (with several vegetarian options too) it was difficult to decide what to have! There were several nice touches, including an amuse bouche and a refreshing sorbet between the starter and main course. The meals were exceptionally well executed and beautifully presented and the breakfast hit the spot too. Also, it's worth mentioning the wine list. It was extensive enough, but most notably the prices were great. Most of the wines averaged around £20 - £30 a bottle (I think we paid an average of £23 a bottle) which is great.

Lindeth Howe also benefits from a small pool and sauna, which were most welcome when we returned from a wind-swept, rainy day touring around the lakes. The hotel also offers massage and treatments, however, we didn't book in advance so missed out on this. Two people we met recommended the therapist, so we'd probably book treatments in advance when we return.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and did whatever they could to ensure you enjoyed your stay. With so many hotels to choose from in the Lakes competition has to be high, and we would certainly go back to Lindeth Howe without giving it a second thought.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Lindeth_Howe_CHH, General Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Hi Edinburgh_Lady,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Lindeth Howe. I am thrilled to bits you both enjoyed your stay at Lindeth Howe. Certainly is always a great idea to keep an eye out on our website for any last minute or future offers we may be running, especially as Timmy Tiptoes is celebrating his 100th Birthday this year.

We are very proud of our food here and pleased you enjoyed the extensive choice we offer. The wine list is very good value for money and is personally chosen by our team at the hotel.

It is such a shame you were not able to reserve a massage as Sara our therapist is excellent and I would recommend in future making a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment.

I have passed on your very kind comments to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe soon.

Hotel General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at Lindeth Howe with our young son. The location in the Lake District was wonderful! The breakfast was good and included a lot of options. They were wonderful hosts even bringing tea to my husband who was reading by the fire in the early morning hours while he suffered from jet lag. The room was good size. The bathroom was large for England. The indoor pool was great especially as an option on rainy days. My only comment would be the mattresses were very poor. We had a double and twin bed in our room. My husband's back really hurt after sleeping on the double so fortunately he could move to the twin which was slightly better, but for the price the mattresses and linens should be changed. The blankets looked like they might have been used for a good number of years. The staff was nice, but with so many options we probably would try another hotel in the lake district for this price next time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank HighlandMommy
Dear HighlandMommy,

Thank you very much for your review of Lindeth Howe. I am pleased your husband enjoyed his tea by the fire in the early mornings whilst he was suffering with jet lag. At present we are upgrading all our rooms to duvets rather than the blankets and we constantly quality check our beds to ensure our guests have a great night’s sleep, although some guests do prefer very firm mattresses, which we are always happy to accommodate.

I do hope we can convince you to stay at Lindeth Howe again in the future and I would be grateful if you would contact either Tony – Deputy Manager or myself direct to make your reservation.

Thank you again for your comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe soon.

south queensferry
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We booked this hotel for our friend's 50th birthday on the recommendation of the reviews on tripadvisor. The whole hotel is spotless and well kept. Our rooms were lovely(205 & 209) and the views made it the relaxing weekend we were looking for. Thanks to the receptionist who selected our rooms. The robes and slippers in the room a great addition.
Food in the restaurant lovely and presented well. Good wine list. The full English Breakfast is not a huge plate but still plenty to keep you going.
We booked the GO GREEN with the Great Explorer. Unfortunately, on the Saturday morning our packed lunch was not available as we had not completed the forms which should have been left in our rooms! The receptionist was a bit reluctant to venture into the kitchen and request our lunches. However, this was resolved.
The only negative (and I say this reluctantly) is that we felt the restaurant waiting staff did rush us through our meals. Desperate to take away your plate as you were placing down your cutlery. As soon as one course was finished the next appeared. Would have prefered a more relaxing atmosphere which the rest of the hotel offers.
We all loved our stay and will be back in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Dear theandrews031,

Thank you very much for your great review of Lindeth Howe. I am so sorry we missed placing packed lunch forms in your bedroom compendium and highlighting the packed lunch forms on arrival for the Great Explorer package. I am unsure why the Receptionist was reluctant to go into the Kitchen, given the close relationship between all of our team. From your comments, we have addressed the efficiency of our Dining Room team who ensure all our guests have a relaxing and excellent dining experience.

Best Wishes,

Warwickshire
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My wife and I stayed for one night on Thursday 2nd September 2010. Our room on the third floor was fabulous with a view of Lake Windermere and a comfortable canopy bed. The small ensuite bathroom was of a good standard, fresh and clean. The indoor swimming pool and sauna were welcome after our long drive to the Lake District. We enjoyed tea in the garden in the afternoon as the weather was sunny and warm for the time of year. Our dinner could not have been better. The staff were professional, caring and saw to all of our needs without fuss. My overriding memory was sitting on the elevated bed watching the sun go down over the lake with a drink before dinner. Breakfast the following morning was, again, just right, served at the table rather than ‘fetch it yourself’.

Our stay at Lindeth Howe was the first night of a week’s holiday and was the highlight of the whole week. It is a small intimate comfortable hotel with a history which we enjoyed. We will certainly be back at some time in the future and stay longer next time.

Any criticisms? Though we didn’t, some may find the lack of a lift a problem if a view of the lake is important.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Hi Standleo,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Lindeth Howe. It is perfect when the weather is warm and sunny to sit in our extensive peaceful gardens and enjoy afternoon tea. I am so pleased your night stay at Lindeth Howe was the highlight of your week holiday, and I certainly recommend you staying for extra nights next time. I have passed on your kind and generous comments to the team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe soon.

Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Stayed in August 2010 on DBB. Got what I expected for the price paid. A nice, traditional , large room with lovely side garden view and excellent meals.The staff are proficient but not what I would call friendly and I felt the personal touch was missing. The reception being in a small office created a barrier from the outset. Meals slightly marred one breakfast when we waited 30 mins for the grilled breakfast to arrive with only a passing 'sorry for the delay'. I found out later there had been a problem with the stove. It would have been nice for someone to have come round to apologise, explain the delay and perhaps refresh tea/coffee and toast whilst everyone waited. If I had known it was going to be 30 mins at the outset I would have asked for this! However, this breakfast slip and lack of personal touch didn't spoil the stay and I would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lindeth_Howe_CHH, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Hi Sucal,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Lindeth Howe. I agree the team are proficient but am rather concerned you felt they were lacking the personal touch and being friendly as the whole team are renowned for their friendly welcoming demeanour and all our recruitment is based on personality and we train the skills, I would be grateful if you would write, e-mail or on your next visit speak direct to me to elaborate on this further.

I am so sorry you waited for your breakfast for 30 minutes, this is unacceptable and totally opposite to our usual standard at Lindeth Howe. We should have communicated and dealt with the delay more efficiently.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Alison Magee-Barker
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2010

What a lovely hotel, the staff are very freindly and so helpful. The place is immaculate.
We booked in for one night as a stop over as we were on our way to Edinburgh, loved it so much that we booked again for the stop over on the way back,
The food is excellent, the setting is beautiful, just looking for another excuse to stay again

Hi Kaye,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of Lindeth Howe. I have passed on your kind and generous comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe soon.

Best Wishes,

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We stayed here for one night and have to say that we won't be returning! When booking we were told they only had one double room left, which to be fair we were told was very small with only a shower. As such we were offered a discounted rate of £130 on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
Having read the reviews regarding the food and general standard of the hotel we were looking forward to our stay.
However... upon a arrival we were shown to a room which was drastically below the standard you would expect from a hotel with these crudentials - or indeed any professional establishment - it had damp patches, peeling wallpaper, chips out of the furnishings and stank of bleach!
The bathroom hadn't been decorated/upgraded since at the 1960's and bed linen was 100% polyester.
When we raised the issue of the bleach/chlorine smell we were told that housekeeping could spray some air freshener to see if this would rectify the situation - which we declined! Unfortunately there were no other rooms available so we were stuck with what we had!
Despite the severe disappointment with our room, we looked forward to sampling the 'fine dining' experience. We have eaten a number of restaurants which held the same accrediation as Lindeth Howe - however the standard of food and service was well below what we would have expected - especially at £40 a head!
Even though we were told our rate had been discounted, I feel like I was severely ripped off!
Both myself and husband left with a stomach upset - which we can only attribute to something we consumed during our stay, as we had spent the previous week apart.
In summary - we would have paid to avoid this hotel - don't believe the reviews and book into Storrs Hall - which really does do what it 'says on the tin!'.

6 Thank hannahb19
Dear Hannahb,

I feel so sorry you felt you wouldn’t be returning to Lindeth Howe. When you made the reservation we had a couple of rooms available, one being a twin superior room and one being a single / small double standard room with shower only. The single / small double standard room was requested and after trying to persuade you to take the twin bedded room which would be more comfortable for yourself and your husband for just an extra £10.00 per person supplement, you opted for the single / small standard double room as you had been away from your husband for the week. You were offered £130.00 as you rightly expressed which is £50.00 bed and breakfast for both of you and £40.00 per person for our two rosette dining experience. I agree the room is in need of an upgrade but the standard of cleanliness and hygiene is impeccable. The twin bedded superior room was still available on your check in, however you still required the small / double standard room. Unfortunately when you finally decided you would like to have a look at the alternative room a couple of hours later, the room had been sold.

We are extremely proud of our food and service at Lindeth Howe and are open to feedback good and bad from our guests, but I find it extremely difficult to hear both yourself and your husband left with a stomach upset allegedly from your stay here, when we are confident that this upset would not have come from Lindeth Howe due to the extreme lengths we go to, to ensure all our food and services are of the highest standard of hygiene and control and received a 5 star award for excellence in food safety performance from the Cumbria Food Liaison Group. No other guests have complained, including a vast amount of our regular guests who were staying with us on the same weekend as yourselves.

We would love to change your perception of Lindeth Howe and hopefully will look forward to welcoming you both back to Lindeth Howe soon.

I will be contacting you direct with regards to a future stay at Lindeth Howe.

Alison Magee-Barker,
Hotel Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!