“Attention to detail and great food made for a very happy stay”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Darlington, England
“Attention to detail and great food made for a very happy stay”
Reviewed April 1, 2010

We spent three nights at Lindeth Howe with our teenage daughters on a special offer package that compared very favourably with the room rack rate, particularly since dinner was included free of charge. Rooms were in good condition, scrupulously clean and very well serviced, with an evening turndown and prompt refilling of anything we used on the well-stocked hospitality trays. We noted the complimentary upgrade to a Superior double, I assume so that we could be next door to our daughters' Standard twin, which was not mentioned but was much appreciated. The pool, spa and fitness facilities are small but adequate, and again clean and modern. The public areas are welcoming and quiet, and the staff were excellent - yes, one or two had the occasional blip with their English, but not in any way that was a problem, and more than made up for by their friendliness and obvious desire to do a good job and make guests as welcome as possible. We liked the way the hotel balances the needs of older and younger guests - a special early high tea is served for small children, and full waiter service is laid on in the library for families dining with little ones, so that the dining room remains a quieter environment for adults and older children, who eat a little later. And the food was really fabulous. I disagree strongly with an earlier comment that it was old-fashioned - yes, it's nouvelle cuisine with a local twist, but really beautifully done, with ingredients sourced from the surrounding area. It's not cheap, but I've paid much more for far worse food, and the five-course table d'hote menu, which changes nightly, was varied, well thought-out, beautifully cooked and presented, and plentiful enough for the healthiest appetite. I'd also hesitate to describe the breakfast as "basic", and I wonder whether that reviewer stuck with the fruit, cereal and juice available self-service, and didn't opt for the cooked and continental selections, which are cooked to order and all included in the one price. My daughters definitely recommend the cooked breakfast! If there was one thing we had to pick on it would be the music in the public areas, which seemed to be confined to a single (admittedly very soothing) selection, which went round and round on a loop about an hour long. We soon got to anticipate the next track, particularly during our leisurely evening dinner, and would suggest investing in a couple more tapes or CDs for variety's sake. However, this is just a niggle. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed Lindeth Howe, would cheerfully recommend it to anyone for a special break, and would happily go back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Merseyside
Reviewed February 28, 2010

This was our second visit to this beautiful hotel and we were not disappointed as you often can be when returning somewhere. Again, we a `bed, breakfast +dinner` offer and chose to upgrade to a DeLuxe Lake View Room. It was certainly worth paying for this upgrade as the room was lovely and the view magnificent. Once again, the food was superb with breakfasts more than ample with so much choice, and the dinner menues good enough to rival any top restaurant. This year we stayed 3 nights ( 2 last year ) and were glad of the extra night as it was just that bit more of an unwinding break. We did not make time to use the Hotel`s pool, sauna, spa treatments or gym-- we were far too chilled and relaxed to stir ourselves for anything that energetic ! All the staff were friendly, polite+ helpful from the moment of arrival to checkout and the rooms kept spotless withany items used replaced frequently--- waste bins emptied twice a day--without disturbing us once. We would recommend this Hotel to anyone either for a special occasion or just for a relaxing break. We will certainly be returning. Anyone who likes good food should give this a try---a gastronomic delight.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Grange ovr Sands
Reviewed February 20, 2010

My husband took me to the Lindeth Howe for lunch on my birthday. We loved it! The food was fantastic, as a keen home cook we are so often dissapointed when we eat out by the quality of the food. My husband had pork cheeks to start which were divine, melt in the mouth tender and really full of flavour. My main course of chicken tasted just like chicken used to but often doesn't anymore. The deserts were fab too, the sicky toffee pudding being the best I have ever tasted.
I had read a reveiw before we went which was critial of the service. Our experience was very different. Yes, a large proportion of the staff have english as thier second language but this was no barrier to friendly, polite and efficient service. The waiter was excellent and a senior staff member came and wished me happy birthday which was a nice touch

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Have to say first off that we went for afternoon tea and did not stay overnight so cannot comment on the rooms, dinner or breakfast.
However the good bits of the curates egg were very good....nice welcome when we arrived and beautiful tasteful, comfy furnishings in the public rooms. And when we eventually got it the baking for the afternoon tea was excellent - scones, ginger cake, a twist on bakewell type tart etc.
However, once we had been seated in the comfy lounge the staff all but disappeared in a puff of smoke! We were brought the afternoon tea menus by a polite young man who obvsiously had very little English (having recently been to Swinton Park where almost all the staff had English as a second language, but were fluent) and who did not seem at all familiar with what he was meant to do. he immediately asked if we would like tea or coffee - so we said tea....and then he was off, after saying words to the effect that the manager would be along shortly to take our order. A few minutes later a waitress (who we never saw again) brought a tray of tea with biscuits (if you just want tea you do also get it served with a lovely homemade shortbread)...and then she was off too!
We looked at the menus and decided what we wanted (having also noted that they had about 6 different types of tea but we were not offered any choice at all!) and then waited, and waited and waited for ANY staff to appear. In the end I had to search out someone from the marie celeste that was the Lindeth Howe and I found the aforementioned young man in the dining room. I asked if we could order afternoon tea but he said we had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for the manager as he was not able to do the afternoon tea order...I said that we had been waiting already for 25 mins but he just shrugged embarrassedly and said there was nothing he could do!!
So I had to track down the lady who had welcomed us in (in an office by the front door) and ask her.....she said something like "oh he should have taken your order" and went to sort it out. A few minutes later a young manager type man appearred and did indeed take our order for afternoon tea...! Luckily we were all in a reasonably relaxed frame of mind because the room itself was so nice.
And as I said, the baked part of th tea was delicious...but the sandwiches could really have been from any pub in the land. We had asked for a selection from the menu, which included tomato, cucumber (which one of us really wanted!) roast beef, ham, cheese. We did ask for a mix of white and brown bread. And what came was a couple of rounds of Warburtons best (crusts on) each of grated orange cheddar, (tasty) ham, tuna mayo and a couple of stray prawn mayo...with a big pile of crisps in the middle..! Not quite what I had imagined ! I guess as very plain sandwiches go they were fine, but no garnish (oops, sorry there were the crisps) and nothing at all to make you feel you were having a special (£12) afternoon tea. Yes we could have asked for cucumber sarnies and I guess they may have arrived, but as it was someone elses treat I did not want to make too much of it.....
On the plus side we were not hurried in any way (cos there were no staff!) and it was a lovely relaxing and leisurly afternoon..... But when we came to leave it was another hunt through deserted lobbies to find anyone to give the money to!
- So overall, I don't know how to rate it. Maybe this was a fluke and they had new staff, or they were all having a lie down after an exhausting Sunday lunch service, I don;t know. But the end result was extremely poor service (though each individual person was fine) which makes me seriously question whether I would risk coming here for a meal - which is a shame because if the baking we had is a reflection of the overall standard of the food I would love to eat here.....(and the dining room itself looked a lovely room)
(and in case they are reading this, I did not take it up with you at the time a) cos you were all so hard to locate! and b) cos I was someone elses guest.)
I have said that i would recommend it to a friend cos there is no "maybe" option! Benefit of the doubt and all that....

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Lindeth_Howe_CHH, Hotel Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2010
Dear Weerherdy,

Thank you for your constructive comments with regards to afternoon tea. When mistakes are made we are open to the reaction of our guests and we will endeavour to do our best to correct them whilst you are here to enable us to improve your experience.

Your experience of afternoon tea and the lack of team members are completely unusual. I am pleased you enjoyed the delightful baking treats we serve and I do hope the birthday girl enjoyed her 14th birthday card from us.

I do hope you be kind enough to revisit Lindeth Howe to confirm how unusual your past experience has been.

If you like to correspond on this further please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Kindest Regards,

Alison Magee-Barker.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2009

We booked the hotel direct and were dealt with in a most delightful and efficient manner by Sally on reception. On arrival, we were greeted and shown around the hotel and its leisure facilities before being taken to our room. The room was superb being dual aspect with views of Lake Windermere and the extensive grounds. We booked half board. Breakfast and evening meals were served in the dining room by most couteous and attentive staff. The food was of exceptional quality. The evening meal of 5 courses was preceded by canapes in the lounge in front of a log fire. A truly wonderful stay and we would not hesitate in returning.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luckygables
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 17, 2009

How nice to arrive on a wet and windy night to find lovely fires and a great big and warm bedroom.
Dinner was a bit old fashioned, dainty portions, minimal vegetables, amuse bouche etc and I would have preferred the more modern style of sensible portions.
Satt were very helpful and breakfast was prompt, although the toast was only lukewarm

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rs031114d
London
Reviewed September 15, 2009

If you are some sort of Beatrix Potter fan then you have to stay here. If you are not, it is still more than worth a visit.
It's a while since I was there, but this hotel still stays in my memory.

good points - Quite decent food and a quality breakfast with local ingrediants. Not for weightwatchers. Waiting staff were always to hand and very polite.
Bad points - It seems very hot in there. The room seemed to be quite a bit old fashioned...and a long way from reception (!) but was decent and clean in a chintzy sort of way.

In summary a decent place - not outstanding - , but a little overpriced given the local competion.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Penguin_Family_1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!