We needed a break - there was an item in "Which?" which recommended Lindeth Howe and I emailed and received a most personal and lovely reply. I booked! The journey over (from York) was on 20th April - probably the best day of spring and we were greeted warmly and shown to possibly one of the nicest rooms in the (ex-Beatrix Potter) house - (205 if you want to know!) with outstanding views over the luscious gardens right down to Lake Windemere. The room (described by a member of staff as one of her favorites) has a raised seating area overlooking the lake, a brand-new sparklingly white-tiled bathroom, robes, chilled water, a deliciously comfortable double bed ... break? I want to live here!!
We had booked DB+B and were not let down in any department. The evening meals were all excellent, with enough choice from the (non-changing but with a chef's special each night) menu for three nights. Faultless breakfasts from the starter buffet and cooked-to-order English (which included kippers if you are so inclined) were enough for the day. I agree that the staff were not always synchronised ("I've already ordered that!") but it just added to the charm. The two new boys from Oz were a delight!!
I know there can be problems about noisy rooms in an hotel if you are over the kitchen or outside the staff car-park. Sort this out before you arrive if you can and you will have, as we did, a most relaxing and special three days which I would happily recommend to TA readers. Bravo Lindeth Howe!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover peaceful surroundings and breathtaking views of the English Lake District at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. Located within walking distance of the lakeside village of Bowness-on-Windermere, Lindeth Howe overlooks Lake Windermere, the largest lake in the country and the Cumbrian fells beyond.This unique 4 star country house hotel was once owned by the best-loved children's author Beatrix Potter, and boasts 34 beautiful bedrooms, cosy lounges and a fantastic 2 AA Rosette Dining Room which is also open to non residents. Guests are also invited to relax by our indoor pool, sauna, fitness room and indulge themselves in various body treatments and massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindeth Howe Country Hotel
- Lindeth Howe Country Windermere
- Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District