“gorgeous place to escape from megapolis”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“gorgeous place to escape from megapolis”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

it's a lovely little hotel not far from Windermere (10-15 min walk), trying to stay there each time i and my boyfriend want to go to the lake district. we like everything there, location (not in the centre of tourist flow), nice room with great views, nice cuisine and service.

Room Tip: ask rooms on top floors with view on windermere lake, but if they are occupied, other rooms are good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello Jane M
Thank you for your kind review of Lindeth Howe Hotel it’s great to hear that you have had an enjoyable time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Tony Holden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We used a voucher for an afternoon tea which would cost £14.95 per person. We booked and arrived at 1pm on a Sunday in June. At first we were the only people there although later a couple arrived for lunch and another couple arrived for afternoon tea.
We were given some rather scruffy menus and we were told to choose our sandwiches. The menu gave a list of sandwiches and types of teas and coffees. I decided on Ceylon tea and cheese and chutney sandwiches and my husband decided on a cappuccino coffee and tuna sandwiches. The waiter came and asked what sandwiches we wanted. I asked for one tuna and one cheese and he said "Just cheese?" so I said "No, as on the menu - cheese and chutney please." He then said "Tea or coffee?" and we were not given the opportunity to choose which tea or which coffee. I thought this rather odd but did not speak up in time. When the food arrived, there was no tuna sandwich in sight. One was cheese and chutney and the other was just bread with tomato and cucumber and nothing more. I resolved to tell the waiter when he arrived to ask how things were but he never did arrive and so we were never given the opportunity to say that we had been given the wrong sandwich. Over the other side of the lounge, the waiter was being quite abrupt with the Chinese lady who could barely speak English as he wanted her to choose an sandwich and she did not understand. All in all a disappointing experience and I wish I had gone elsewhere.

Dear innyperson
Thank you for letting me know about your afternoon tea with us I have passed on your comment to our restaurant manager how is looking into these matters for me.
Many Thanks
Cumbria
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We were given a voucher for Afternoon Tea so duly took up the kind gift with the thought that if we enjoyed it we'd go back for dinner that night should they have a table available

On arrival the front door was closed and on entering we found ourselves in the hallway not knowing where to go and no one there to help - until my husband almost went in to a small office type room.

We told to go into one of the lounges - which was quite dark but comfortable and waited for someone to come to us.

After reading all the reviews on here (before I started to leave this one) and good reports from friends I expected friendly efficient service.
Unfortunately this is not what we received.

Eventually we were brought the menu and told to choose a sandwich - no please, no smile. We were left to peruse and made the decision to upgrade to a large afternoon tea. When the waiter arrived back I asked if it was possible to upgrade and pay the difference - he didn't really seem that bothered. Surely up selling is part of the job? It was as though it was inconvenient to upgrade
Coffee came first eventually followed by the sandwiches - which were lovely and fresh
The cakes etc were very disappointing as I'm sure everything but the tiramisu was bought in. Now for a 2 AA rosette restaurant hotel I certainly expected everything to be home made and fresh. I apologise if it was all homemade but the muffin most certainly was not nor the little tart case.

We were never checked on to see if everything was alright nor to be offered any more tea/coffee or anything else. We got just one cup each and that was all. I did want a glass of wine and to sit for while but changed my mind and we decided to go.

It took around 10 mins of us standing up and walking about before we found someone to pay - it would have been easy just to leave as no one would have noticed.
My husband paid - only to be given a bill for the full amount (the voucher had not been deducted). this was corrected when he mentioned it. Again it seemed like we were an inconvenience and were being a bother.

The place itself could really do with a bit of maintenance and refreshing. I know it's an old country house and know exactly what that entails and what to expect but still feel a little bit of spending on the public rooms would be money well spent.

All in all I would not go back to Lindeth Howe based on this experience. If they can't get afternoon tea right then we wouldn't chance dinner. It's a shame because we regularly eat out all over the Lakes and Dales had hoped for a lot more as it has a good reputation.

I know we only had Afternoon Tea but with so much competition they should be getting this right.
Throughout the whole experience we felt like we were an inconvenience and not a valued customer. Surely customer service is of upmost importance in a country house and this is an absolute basic that needs to be right.

4 Thank ollieanddarcie
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear ollieanddarcie
I have just received you review and I makes for a disappointing read, the team and I are very proud of the food and the service that we provide to all our guests, we try to create a relaxed and friendly atmosphere for everyone who comes through are door and it saddens me to think on this occasion we have not lived up to the very high standards that we set our selves. I can assure you that everything on the afternoon tea menu is homemade by our chefs and nothing is bought in. with regard to your comments about the maintenance of the hotel we do have a maintenance team who work constantly to maintain the character of the house and we reinvest heavily in this department to keep this beautiful old house in tip top shape.
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We absolutely loved this Hotel. Our room was lovely with an amazing view. The welcome package of a glass of Champagne and small tea was a super start to our visit. The 5 course evening dinner in the restaurant was excellent. The only disappointing part of our stay, was that our toast at breakfast was rather burnt... with hindsight we should have requested another serving, but we were in a rush to head on up to Scotland!

Room Tip: Lovely South/West facing room with a fantastic view of Lake Windermere and the beautiful Hotel garde...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear minisusie
Thank you for your lovely review of Lindeth Howe Hotel I have passed on your comment about your dinning experience to Rob our Head Chef and also Sunil the Restaurant Manager how are both really please that enjoyed you evening in the dining room and I am sure that the Restaurant Team would have been more than happy to replace the toast if it was a little over done for you.
The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe in the very near future
Wiltshire
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Recently enjoyed a one night stay here as part of a travel zoo offer. The property has oodles of character and lovely gardens. Lots of photographs and artefacts to do with Beatrix potter which was interesting. Our room was traditional, fitting for the type of property, and had lovely views over the gardens and out to lake Windermere. We enjoyed a mini afternoon tea in the garden as part of our offer which was very nice, just enough so as not to ruin our appetites for dinner. Our evening meal was fabulous, the starter in particular worthy of a Michelin star!! The staff were attentive and friendly. We did find the hotel very warm, but then it was a warm day outside. One grumble is the mattress in our room which was very soft and in need of replacement I think.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view of th lake if you can, so pretty.
Hello Seasidespencer
Thank you for your review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel I have passed on your kind words to the whole Team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Fabulous room, fabulous staff, excellent food
From the minute we booked this hotel, nothing was too much trouble (Martha, on reception, you are a star!)
Warmly greeted on arrival, shown to a stunning room with stunning views, excellent facilities and spotlessly clean
I had requested flowers and champagne to be in the room as we were celebrating my wife's birthday, not only were the flowers gorgeous and the champagne cold, but there was also the added and thoughtful touch of a birthday card for her
On to dinner, fabulous, a match for any of the top London restaurants
In summary, a wonderfully relaxing 2 night stay, thank you to all of the staff, you are all wonderful!

Room Tip: 204 is stunning!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello johnb2123
Thank you for your lovely review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, I have passed on your fabulous comment to all at the Hotel and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at this hotel as a family visit and this is the worst hotel for families I have come across. Children are not allowed in the resturant and there are no lifts.

Really do not recommend this hotel if you want a nice stay in windermere. I informed the management of my dissatisfaction and they really werent bothered. In addition they had the cheek to try and charge an additional £2 for repairs...

Really shocking hotel for the price, I think management need training on how to deal with customer satisfaction.

Really disappointed.

If you have no issues during your stay and are a young couple who dont mind climbing a lot of stairs you may like this place although forthe advertised prices I recommend the macdonald hotel instead for a guaranteed great stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ryan J
Dear Ryan J
Good Afternoon Ryan
I have just received your review about your stay with us and if I may I would like to answer the points you have made.
With regard to children dining in our restaurant it is true that children under the age of 7 cannot dine in the restaurant in the evenings but we do have a children’s high tea menu available from 5pm onwards and we also offer private dining for families in the library, with regard to the issue of the lift it would be very difficult for us to install a lift as the house was built in 1879 and I’m afraid there is just nowhere for us to install one. The additional £2.00 is not for repairs it is a charitable donation to the nature Lakeland and is used by them to maintain the Lakeland fells and foot paths and I believe that the lady on reception did take it off your bill for you. Now coming to your point about the management needing training on how to deal with customer satisfaction the receptionist did ask you if you wanted to speak to me as I was on shift Sunday morning but you declined her offer, if I would have been aware of your disappointment I’m sure we could have sorted out all the issue that had arisen apart from the problem with the lift I’m afraid there is nothing I could of done with regard to that one.
I hope the next time you come to the Lake District you and your family have a wonderful time.
Kindest Regards
Tony Holden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Linthwaite House
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!