I booked this hotel last minute for a one night midweek stay with my wife on the dinner bed and breakfast deal which included afternoon tea. We arrived about 1pm but our room was not ready so we were invited to wait in the snug little lounge beside the fire where we had afternoon tea which was lovely.
The first thing that struck us when we entered the hotel was the beautiful Christmas decorations throughout the public areas. The staff were friendly and pleasant in all areas of the hotel.
We came down to the lounge for a drink before our evening meal and enjoyed the canapes before being taken to the dining room which was very well presented. The food was lovely and we really enjoyed everything. We then retired back to the lounge for coffee which was served with three lovely little treats.
Our accommodation was a standard room which was perfectly adequate.Nothing out of the ordinary, just a good sized clean room with a massive bed - I think it was maybe two singles pushed together. Tea/coffee, TV, trouser press, iron etc. All good quality and in good condition.
Breakfast was buffet style for the cereals, fruit, pastries etc but waiter service for cooked food. Once again the quality of the breakfast was excellent.
Our only gripe would be with the pool/sauna. The pool is very small - I could push off from one end and reach the other without taking a stroke. The sauna was not working, although as I was leaving I overheard another guest saying he had asked for it to be turned on?? Very strange - but if their policy is to only turn it on when required I would have expected a notice displayed to advise guests of such an unusual arrangement. I should probably have queried this with reception but forgot to do so.
In summary - a lovely hotel with a really nice atmosphere, friendly staff and excellent food. I should probably give it only four stars because of the pool/sauna but that would be picky when everything else was so perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover peaceful surroundings and breathtaking views of the English Lake District at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. Located within walking distance of the lakeside village of Bowness-on-Windermere, Lindeth Howe overlooks Lake Windermere, the largest lake in the country and the Cumbrian fells beyond.This unique 4 star country house hotel was once owned by the best-loved children's author Beatrix Potter, and boasts 34 beautiful bedrooms, cosy lounges and a fantastic 2 AA Rosette Dining Room which is also open to non residents. Guests are also invited to relax by our indoor pool, sauna, fitness room and indulge themselves in various body treatments and massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindeth Howe Country Hotel
- Lindeth Howe Country Windermere
- Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District