“One of our best escapes”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel to escape for a few days from the madness. The atmosphere is very warm and welcoming but also very relaxed and we immediately felt at ease. Food is excellent and service very good also. It was great to relax and unwind by the roaring fires whilst teh weather went mad outisde.

Room Tip: any seem wonderful
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank david_trafford1
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear David_Trafford1

Thank you for your Wonderful reveiw about the Lindeth Howe hotel. We at the hotel pride ourseleves on high standards and a friendly service and our so pleased when our guest comment on this. I will pass on your comments to the heads of departments who will let there teams know.

Once again thank you and i will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel in the future.

Assistant Manger

Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

A gem of a find!

We booked to stay on our way back from Scotland as a half way point and we were not disappointed at all!
It has a charm that makes you feel right at home, to the extent that I sat and read my book in the lounge with my shoes off and feet up!
The staff are lovely and more than happy to tell you all about the history of the house as it once belonged to Beatrix Potters Mother, there are a few old photos and letters on the wall to give you some idea.
The gardens are also very pretty and worth a wander if you have time.
We had room 107 overlooking the gardens and its was lovely, clean and bright and large enough for a couple.
We had lunch booked and we were the only people in the restaurant, but that is not a reflextion on the food or the service as in the eveing it was packed!!
The food was very good and they have an extensive menu, lots of fresh ingredients and local as well.
The wine was very well priced as is the food, in fact I would go so far as to say it must be one of the cheapest Hotels we have stayed in, in the area!!!!
I think the only thing that needs attention is the Reception area - its a room and you are not sure if you should enter or not - but thats the only thing I would mention and it did not distract our lovely stay at Lindeth Howe, so much so we are looking to go back for New Years Eve as its very much a home from home.
We will be back and for longer next time, thank you Lindeth Howe for making us feel right at home!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BonnBouche
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear BonnBouche

Thank you for your wonderful reveiw about the Lindeth Howe Hotel.
We at the hotel pride ourselves on high standards & a freindly service & are so pleased when our guest recognise this.
I shall pass on your comments to our heads of deparment, who will let there teams know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will look forward to seeing you back at hotel again soon.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Mid week break for 2 nights. Excellent room, a view of the lake and the gardens.The setting is perfect, only a 20min walk into the lovely town of Bowness. The food was first class, very special. Every dish appeared to be individually prepared. We can't praise the staff too highly - all very professional yet friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - possibly a corner.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lynda37

Dear Lynda 37

Thank you for your reveiw of the Lindeth Howe Hotel. We at the hotel always welcome our guest comments, which helps us to keep up our high standards.
I will pass on your comments to our heads of departments, who will inform there teams of how much to enjoyed your stay.
I will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I had the pleasure of dining here very recently with some close friends. The ambience of the place is quite superb, the surrounding gardens quite beautiful, and the service is friendly and effortless.
We dined in a library that was totally perfect for the occasion and enjoyed some of the finest food I had experienced in quite some time. Everyone with me was quite overcome, I would dine here again in a heartbeat. If you haven't dined at Lindeth Howe then you haven't dined it is that simple. Go for the taster menu - it is a treat both for the eyes and the palate.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Yowwa

Dear Yowwa

Thank you for your lovely reveiw about the Lindeth Howe Hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed dinning experience with us.
I shall pass on your comments to Marc our Head Chef & Sunil our Restaurant Manager, who will pass on your comments to there teams.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is an excellent hotel. The food and staff are marvellous. We stayed in room 111 which has a lovely view. I cannot recommend the food enough. I have eaten in many of the so called "famous" restaurants and I can honestly say the food is of the, same, if not higher standard.
I took my parents with me and they stayed in room 107 and the loved the hotel and service.
Congratulations!

Room Tip: Room 111 - lovely double aspect views. Bright and sunny when we were there
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lozeames

Dear Lozeamas

Thank you for your kind words about the Lindeth Howe Hotel.
We at the hotel are so pleased when our guest leave there comments on how they feel there stay at the hotel with us was. It helps us keep up our high standards and staff moral.
I shall pass on your comments to our heads of department, who will let there teams know.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

When we arrived my wife found an envelope addressed to her on the dresser which was a birthday card from Lindeth Howe Hotel - a lovely surprise! I also left it very late to request a newspaper for the Sunday morning and the young lady on reception collected one for me on her way into work and added it to the final bill. The premises are very clean and the lounge areas very comfortable. The afternoon tea is fab. We actually had a small portion which was very filling and good value at £8pp. The evening meals were excellent, the service from the canape's through to coffee's in the lounge afterwards was very slick and attentive. There is a wide variety of food on the menu's with daily Chefs recommendations which we occasionally chose. There are a la carte specials which are also well worth considering (The fillet steak with steak, Guiness and oyster pudding is a must by the way). We had a problem in our room where the taps locked up on the bath, nothing to do with the quality I have to say. A plumber was there within half an hour and the problem was fixed by the time we came back to the room. The drive entrance from Longtail Hill foxed us since there's a private house at the entrance with a sign saying 'private drive'. It looks initially like you are trespassing on someones property but carry on right to the end and you'll find the hotel. I found the hot breakfast menu / buffet selection fairly basic but after all the other food I had in the hotel expanding my waistline it was probably a good thing. Overall we had a lovely time and would stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Paid a small amount extra for a deluxe garden view which was a large double window room on the 1st f...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bogsnorkeller

Dear Bognorkeller

We at the Lindeth Howe Hotel pride ourselves on High standards and a friendly service, and are so pleased when our guest recognise this.
I shall pass on your comments to our heads of department, who will let there staff know how much you enjoyed your stay.
We have resently updated our signage at the entrance to the hotel so it is more noticeable and hopefully less confusing to our guest's.

Once again Thank You

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for just two nights on a brief visit to the Lake District and will definitely return as we were so impressed. The staff were really welcoming, always smiling, pleasant and helpful. The room was not overly large but very well equipped with a very comfortable bed and lovely White Company toiletries. There was a choice of several sitting areas looking out over the lovely gardens. We had booked for dinner both nights and were amazed by the standard of the food - almost Michelin standard we thought (the chef is French) and very good value. Breakfasts were also excellent. An added bonus was the fact that the house had once been owned by Beatrix Potter and so there were lots of photos and memorabilia to look out which we very much appreciated as we'd failed on two occasions to get into her Hilltop house!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rgvwes2n

Dear RGV Weston

Thank you for your lovely comments about the Lindeth Howe Hotel.
I shall pass on your kind words to Marc our Head Chef & Aiden our gardener and the rest of the teams who will be so pleased about your reveiw.
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and will look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon.

Assistant Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Storrs Hall
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!