“Nice place - quirky menu”
Review of Porto Restaurant

Porto Restaurant
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Just a five minute stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere. Serving food all day with indoor and outdoor seating areas
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We recently ate here whilst staying in the area the restaurant was very quiet when we entered but got quite busy. We opted for the early bird menu which had some odd combinations of food, but nothing really jumped off the a la carte menu either. I enjoyed a main course of chicken with bean cassoulet, but why on earth it required a huge serving of mashed potato on the side?
Some strange descriptions on the menu - I was put off a goats cheese starter as it also contained beetroot which seemed a bit odd - (Maybe that is just me) - but the smoked mackerel was good. In general the food was excellent and the presentation was lovely, although the portions were rather too large for me. The staff were very attentive and efficient - a little too much so as we had eaten two courses in less than 40 minutes so perhaps a little too speedy.

1  Thank Judith R

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Went last night with my wife. Great food and service. Just a lovely place to eat. The pork main was a winner in particular!
Only reason I did not give a 5 rating was because It was not quite up there with restaurants I have given a top rating and there are not many of those because I am quite picky and they were michelin places! I could go into detail but there is no need because I would recommend this to anyone and I will be going back for sure!!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We visited Porto on Monday evening. The food, service and atmosphere were all excellent. we will be calling there again. We had starters from the fixed price menu and mains from the a la carte,a bottle of wine, jug of water and two coffees. The bill came to less than £70. At this quality and price we'll be returning on our next trip to the lakes. The only fault I could find is that it's a 150 mile round trip to get there!!!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Simply wonderful. The rib eye steak is to die for and the sauvignon blanc from New Zealand just the way I like it. I would recommend making a reservation because it is justifiably popular. Will be going back in next visit.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I must state that I am not one of those reviewers who pick up on the slightest little thing and try to be as honest and factual as I can and that is what this review is based on.

If was reviewing this restaurant on food alone it would have got 4 stars, but to me a visit includes numerous things. Food, staff, ambiance, value for money and customer service and the last one was where they really let us down, so much so that I'm pushing it giving them 2 stars.

We in the Lake District to both visit family and watch our team play football. On our last night there we wanted to take our family members to a nice restaurant to say thank you for looking after us. They recommended Porto because they said as well as serving fantastic food, they offered a set meal from 6 to 7pm at a reasonable price and with being on a tight budget, (I was recently made redundant) it sounded perfect.

We arrived at 6:45pm and was shown to a table upstairs. We were given both the set and a la carte menus to peruse. On the set menu there was 3 choices of each course and 3 of us were going to have the chicken for our main. This was the only meat option, there was also a mushroom risotto and seafood ravioli salad.

Before we had chance to order we were told that they had sold out of chicken. As this was the only meat on the set menu we asked if we could substitute with another meat dish but the waiter said he didn't think it would be allowed. We asked him to please enquire for us. He came back five minutes later to say no we cannot have another choice. We explained that 3 of the party did not like the other options and also that we had visited the restaurant with the set meal in mind. We asked if we could possibility pay a small supplement towards another meat main as this would still have been a reasonably priced option.

He went off again and came back in another 5 mins to say no. He said the chef had refused then started preaching profit and loss to us. I was astounded as were the rest of our party. You do not preach profit and loss to customers. It was for 3 people to have an alternative and we were refused point blank! Where was the customer service? Neither manager or chef or whoever was making this decision came to see us, they left it to the poor waiter.

This then put an atmosphere on the evening as the people who we were with had gushed about this restaurant and in some way blamed themselves, though it was nothing to do with them. If it had just been my partner and myself we would have walked out, but didn't want to create a fuss in front of family members.

In the end we ordered off the al a carte menu, but were each aware of the cost. We had a starter and main but declined puddings due to the rising bill. We also only ordered one bottle of wine (no profit and loss mentioned there despite paying £17 for a rather mediocre bottle of wine) where we would have had two.

Though we enjoyed our food, we didn't enjoy the atmosphere this had created and was pleased to leave. Mind you despite having profit and loss dictated to us and despite the bill being considerably larger than anticipated, we didn't take it out on the poor waiting staff and left a £10 tip. Shame the Porto management didn't have the same sense of decency.

I have had similiar things happen to me previously and the restaurant has bent over backwards to assist, but not the Porto. In fact on the Friday night our football team were at a restaurant who had mistakingly ordered 3 specific puddings less than was required. Not only did they offer an alternative, but they then did not charge for 24 puddings at £5.50 each. THAT is the way to treat customers.

I cannot recommended the Porto due to our experience and our family who live in Windermere say they will not be visiting again either.

5  Thank hippychick62