Vio.com
Destinia.com
StayForLong
Hotels.com
1,281 results
All reviews the ground floor afternoon tea comfortable lounge would highly recommend this hotel high standard couldn't do enough superior room a lovely stay yogurt lake
Selected filters
Reviewed October 10, 2017

While staying close by we chose to dine here for three evenings,such a treat! The food was delicious,beautifully presented,and the service was great. The views from the stylish dining room were lovely. So pleasant to see somewhere so well run,we were greeted each evening by name and treated as friends. We will be back! Congratulations to all .

1  Thank 268rosemary
Reviewed October 9, 2017

The only reason this gets 3 stars instead of two is based solely on the outstanding caliber of the food. The Ryebeck should be incredibly grateful for their chef - whatever they're paying him it's not enough.

PROS:
Brilliant food. Creative combinations like venison with blackberries and gingerbread.
Sparkling clean bathroom.
Great bartender - the only naturally personable member of staff.
The view from the lake-view room is good (not jaw-dropping, but good).

CONS:
No wifi in the rooms. For over two hundred pounds a night, this is unforgivable in this day and age.
The room carpet and furniture is old, water stained, showing definite signs of wear.
The bathroom fan runs all the time, whether there's a light on or not. There was no visible switch.
The bedroom side lamps have no on-off switch - had to literally turn them off at the electrical outlet.
Low quality toiletries in beat-up containers. I've stayed at cheaper places that give you Molton Brown or L'Occitane. This was a no-name brand in refilled old containers.
Weird (and too loud) music in the restaurant. Very un-British "Florida patio" design with tile floor and cheap country club vibe - it looks like they haven't updated since the early 2000s. I could feel the frame of the upholstered chair the second I sunk into it.
Most egregious was the cloying, mediocre, inauthentic service staff. I've seen better staff at Nando's. Almost none of them were from the UK and language was a noticeable issue - they called my wife "Mr"; they asked if it was "ok" if our meat was "cooked pinkish"; they came over to ask how the food was before we tasted it; they attempted to explain the menu but it came off as preening and childish. The excellent bartender made my wife a G&T at lunch - she made note of the gin so she could ask for the same drink at dinner. When she did, the server didn't understand the request and asked my wife to get up from the table and come over to the bar to locate the bottle. Frankly, we were embarrassed for them.

Lastly, as we had to have a very check-out but had paid for the bed-and-breakfast rate, we asked that a takeaway breakfast be arranged for us. They readily agreed. When I checked out, nothing had been prepared (we were expecting a scone or croissant, a little jam, maybe a juice) and the staff member cobbled together a bag containing 2 brown-spotted apples, two packets of weetabix bars and a tiny packet of marmite. HIDEOUS.

Overall, this is a serviceable hotel but not at this price point. Management would do well to start paying attention to the little things and to re-train their staff. Thankfully, my husband and I stayed somewhere else the previous night that was miles better and half the price. Just know that there are much better places to stay near Windermere. And only come here for the food.

Room tip: Probably not worth it to spring for a four-poster bed room. We did and thought it overpriced.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magda S
Reviewed October 9, 2017

Went for Sunday lunch using a voucher my daughter had bought me for my birthday. Never been before and if you blink, you will miss the turnoff (like I did!...lol). Thankfully I re-orientated myself and found the drive.

The view over the lake is stunning ...as you would expect for Lake Windermere and the restaurant looks quite new. All the staff were professional and very polite and the food was of the highest order. The chef is obviously of the highest calibre too as the food was both exceptional in quality and beautifully cooked. I won't harp on about the different choices etc, as that will change regularly I guess. The meal deal came with prosecco, which would not be of my choosing.However, this was easily changed to a lovely organic Chilean merlot. I certainly will be returning as I only live 25 miles away and would recommend this place to anyone.

Room tip: The view looks fabulous from the restaurant, but I only went for lunch.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch after a friend bought me a voucher for my birthday. Its a beautiful setting over looking Windermere near Bowness.
From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated to food and service of the highest quality. The set menu was great value and also had lots of choice. Food was beautifully presented and service outstanding. All in all a fantastic experience. Thank you.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank AndyWR
Reviewed October 5, 2017

Had a lovely two night stay at The Ryebeck Hotel our room was quite small (larger rooms are available) but really clean and the bed comfortable, would have preferred to have had a view of the lake. All the staff were lovely particularly the receptionist Linda who was very helpful and informative, also Kevin made us feel very welcome. The breakfast was delicious.