I visited this hotel with my boyf for Valentines Day, and stayed 2 nights. Overall, we had a wonderful time. The hotel is in a nice location, right on the lake and as you enter, has a welcoming reception. Check in was very efficent, although we asked for some help with our bags, which didn't arrive. They did however park the car for us - which was nice. We had a lake view room which was OK - clean and OK furniture but i have stayed in better - there are a number of room types above this one, which i think have been refurbished. Our room was fine though - lovely view of the lake, flat screen TV, small but serviceable bathroom, nice power shower. If we went there again though i would upgrade the room just to have a bit more luxury.
We had booked on a dinner, b&b basis and i have to say the food in the hotel restaurant was superb. Alot of foreign staff, but they worked very hard and the service was very good. Some of the food was out of this world - best fish dish i have eaten in a long time and the pre-starter veloute was absolutely sublime. We eat out quite a bit and this definately rated amongst the better meals we have eaten. Nice wine list too - and quite reasonably priced.
Breakfast was good as well, although cooked breakfast isn't included in the b&b rate - they charge an extra £6.50 for that which i think might be a bit stingy! We had it both mornings and did enjoy it, but noticed alot of people weren't prepared to pay the extra.
We also made use of the spa - having a couples massage which was very good and at £90 for both of us, quite reasonable.
Overall, the hotel is very good - quite pricy in some respect - 2 nights cost us £1000, but we did have wine/champagne/treatments etc. so i suppose that isn't too bad. Would i go back? Yes, but Bowness is a bit of a dull place - full of tacky tourist shops and hairdressers that close on a Saturday!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District