“Beautiful Vintage Property By The Lake”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Beautiful Vintage Property By The Lake”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

The highlight of our stay here was the fact that I brought in my birthday here! The staff was very very helpful and accommodating, especially Matt, who helped organise a beautiful surprise for me.
The rooms do not have an Air-con, but have a small fan and openable windows.
Clean well maintained rooms.
Breakfast was good, and the walk in the gardens by the lake was the high point every morning.
It is very very well located too!
Loved it, will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Lake View Rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Edward C, General Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the hotel.
I have passed on your kind comments to Matt in the bar who is delighted to have been able to make your stay extra special.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Old England and to the beautiful Lake District upon the occassion of your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

We have just returned after spending August Bank Holiday weekend at this delightful hotel, which I can highly recommend. The Old England Hotel & Spa ranks amongst one of the best hotels in the Lake District. It oozes olde world charm & a level of personal service which sets is head & shoulders above the rest. The accommodation is very good & the food is excellent. It is everything a country house hotel should be. The views are exceptional & matched only by the staff who are at all times pleasant, professional & polite. We would in particular like to thank the lounge staff Aitana, Connor & Matthew together with Maria from the restaurant who all went that extra mile to make our stay so very enjoyable & memorable. Best wishes to you all from Mark & Sylvia H. of room 315.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a Lakeside view - it is well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Old England Hotel and Spa.
I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the class and charm of our hotel.
I have also passed on your kind comments to all the staff members mentioned who were all thrilled to have contributed to your enjoyable bank holiday weekend break.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Bowness's Old England Hotel & Spa holds a special place on this wonderful lake. This hotel is reminiscent of the old days and is very well appointed with classy rooms and a great breakfast. However the piece of a room is too much in August and I would not rate it as 5 star even though it seems to favour itself that way.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lakeside view room on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
lancs
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

We started our honeymoon here last week and were really touched to find a congratulations card and chilled champagne in our suite upon arrival! What a nice thoughtful touch. Later that evening at turn down, two filled champagne glasses and a box of chocs appeared in addition.

The weather was dreadful and not the start to our honeymoon we had hoped for but this warmed is nicely.

Lovely bar areas, fabulous breakfast and super spa. Plus, the views from our suite, out into the lake, were stunning.

Well done McDonald Old England!

• Stayed August 2014
Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Other reviewers have said it so well.....great location on the lakeside. BUT I booked a family feature room, the website implies feature rooms gave lake views but family rooms do not. As soon as we found our room this became evident. I queried this with a receptionist who told me I could not have made such a booking and then asked me to prove it. Fortunately I have screen shots on my ipad of the differential in cost between these alternative rooms and I am still awaiting an outcome from the Manager regarding my query.
The girls could see the lake if they stood on a chair and looked out of the velux.....not great
Restaurant stuck in the 70's, service very, very slow. Not 4 star. Plenty of local restaurants to try though.
Great to have a pool but very mundane as previous reviewers comment. Lanes for swimmers, great, but filled with couples chatting so families and swimmers all in the remaining pool area, not ideal for either. Poorly managed. Aroma-shower not working properly. Disappointing compared to website images.
We stay at Macdonalds hotels on an almost monthly basis. Others are far superior. This experience has rather put me off the chain and I gave deliberately avoided the Oxford Macdonald for my current stay in Oxford.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank G M
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
I am sorry that you found our website misleading, I have reviewed the room type descriptions on the website to see if indeed any updating is required to eliminate insofar as possible any confusion.
Thank you also for your comments regarding the Restaurant and Spa which I am investigating with the relevant managers.
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed August 24, 2014

The Old England is in many ways a fairly typical four star hotel, with very much the amenities and standards you would expect from somewhere with that rating . Service in particular was very good.

Its USP though is the unbeatable position literally feet from the shore of Lake Windermere, and of course the fabulous views that go with it. You do pay handsomely for that position however...£300 per night for a poky, odd shaped room (a standard double) with virtually no hanging space and barely room to put a suitcase down.

I don't blame the hotel for capitalising on its position, and if you want to stay in a four star hotel slap in the middle of Bowness right by the lake...well, this is it. For comparison though, after two nights at the Old England we moved to Linthwaite House, a highly regarded country house hotel, also with four stars, which is located in a picturesque position overlooking the lake about a mile outside the town. Here we stayed in a fabulous room virtually twice the size of the Old England's offering with its own balcony, for about two thirds the cost. I know which I'll be going back to...

Room Tip: Avoid room 134 - poky room with no storage space.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mysel
Edward C, General Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am happy to read that you found the service throughout the hotel to be very good and that you enjoyed our wonderful location.
We do offer a number of different room types here at the Old England and I am sorry that on this ocassion your room did not meet with your expectations, on the occasion of your next visit I do hope that you have the opportunity to try one of our feature rooms, executive rooms or suites.
Midlands
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We visited the new Spa/Pool as guests today. The pool was extremely cold - no atmosphere and it looks like an olympic training pool virtually filling the whole area with very little room to walk around it. The hotel would have been better building a smaller pool with two jacuzzis at the window end. Such a shame as the rest of the hotel looks lovely.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BellydancerMidlands
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to our Spa.
We do regulate the temperature of our pool to remain within a degree or two of the median temperature of 28o which is the norm for pools of this type. I appreciate your comments regarding the pool setup and I also hope that you had an opportunity to try our sauna, steam and ice rooms as well as our state of the art gym facilities and beautiful Elemis treatment areas during your visit to the Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#19 of 20 in Windermere
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,462 reviews

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!