We were already quite familiar with the Old England as we stay at Bowness a couple of times a year but this was our first stay in the hotel.
We booked direct via e-mail mainly to make sure I got a re-furbed room as I had heard some weren't, I think almost all are now.
On arrival we got the weekend off to great start with the pleasant and funny Desk manager and concierge (I'm not too good with names), they were extremely helpful and extremely courteous at all times - a welcoming start to things.
We booked an executive room with lake view and it was very well furnished, very comfortable and very quiet through night, the double aspect view was great in the morning looking over the lake.
All the staff were pleasant even on just passing in the corridor and never failed to speak with a smile.
The public rooms and bars are very well thought out and decorated to a high standard, the service is second to none (we have stayed in country house hotels in the area quite alot and this is up there with alot and exceeds most)
We had dinner in the restaurant on one night and it surpassed my expectations again, basically, no its not cheap but neither is it overly expensive, this is a double rosette winner not Harry's greasy spoon!!
Room service also faultless on the couple of times we used it.
I would add that we didn't do breakfast on either day in the hotel as we knew we could get a very nice feed within a 5 minute walk at various cafe's, Bistro's etc, don't be afraid to go room only there are also some excellent restaurants in walking distance (chinese, indian, italian, american, briitish, tapas...) there's even a Costa 2 minutes out of the hotel door!!
All in all we couldn't fault the place, we loved it and we love Bowness although we only go in off season.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District