We stayed at the hotel at the beggining of August. The hotel itself is very grand and in a lovely setting overlooking the lake (Shame the kids were off school!).
Check in was very smooth, receptionists very proffesional and immaculate. We were fortunate to have a room over looking the lake, I think its the nicest view I have ever seen out of a hotel window. The room itself was very clean and serviced to a high standard however slightly dated decor, but anything modern wouldn't be appropriate in a hotel like this. You kind of forget the decor with a view of the lake and a big window!
We ordered drinks from the bar... Be warned VERY EXPENCIVE! Small white wine (125ml) and pint Lager came to £12.95. However we were given complimentary olives and nibbles which did compensate a little. We ordered 2 large whiskeys later that night which were served in crystal glasses.
Now onto the negatives. Breakfast was awful. It took 10 mins to seat us because they couldn't find our name on the list, it was only when a suppervisior interupted they managed to seat us. 40 mins to even order our breakfast and when it arrived it was wrong. Fried eggs instead of poached. The breakfast staff appeared rude- Bit of a language barrier. Black pudding was like slop, I have never seen anything like it, bacon undercooked and full of fat, slightly confused why a full english option wasn't available you had to choose between beans, black pudding or sausage. Couldn't have all 3! Service caotic, Kids running round the dining room.
On check out we told the gent on the reception desk about breakfast and he kindly appologised and took the 2 drinks off our bill which we had ordered the night previous.
Overall the hotel is beautiful and the staff friendly and proffesional, however don't have breakfast, have a walk up the hill there are some lovely cafes that do a great breakfast.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District