I took my wife as a Surprise 2 Day Break Birthday Break to this hotel for a little R & R before spending an enjoyable but exhausting week at The Edinburgh Festival.
Upon arrival, Chris not only helped with all our luggage, but also Valet Parked my car ... He is a Credit to the hotel and a Great Ambassador whose talents should be utilised in more Customer Orientated Areas as his People Skills are excellent.
We were promptly checked in and several 'extras' I had ordered for my wife all appeared at the right time and in the right place thanks to the efficient staff.
We found the view from our Feature Suite quite incredible with uninterrupted views over the lake, the food plentiful and the taste outstanding, bedroom and bathroom very clean and well maintained.
Any Minus Points ? Well only one ! .......... I booked a treatment for both my wife and myself. Tan I was to have a Full Body Massage, which was quite good, 7/10 but my wife's Hot Stone Massage was much shorter than it was booked for and indeed after 10 minutes of waiting on the Treatment Table had to search to find her therapist !
Upon discussing this with The Duty Manager, Justine, we were offered some compensation and the unhappy situation was diffused.
All in all, we would highly recommend a stay at The Old England, but be careful, the Spa Treatments do not warrant the prices charged .
So enjoy the ambience, the food and the views all enhanced by helpful staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District