“What a lovely hotel and view of the lakes” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
perth australia
“What a lovely hotel and view of the lakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel really lives up to expectations. The rooms are clean, linen crisp and fresh and room service top notch. The hotel was very clean and the staff pleasant. The restuarant food was lovely and creative. The view from our room was out over the lake was glorious. Overall a good hotel and one I would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake..worth the extra money
1 Thank veritus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Arabic first
Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in the Old England last weekend the 12th of July. It was my husbands 40 birthday and a family treat. We have been visiting the Old England hotel annually for the past 6 years and this time we disappointedly saw a very notable decline in service and over all quality.

This is a 4 star location but unfortunately this year it is 0 stars for service.

We left our little teddy bear at the breakfast table as we had to quickly depart to the toilets as potty training. When I returned to the table the table had been cleared all but my handbag and one toy were left on the table I had to go and ask for water beeker to be returned. A macdonalds restaurant would not have cleared us away so fast. At that moment I did not realise she had also brought her monkey teddy bear to breakfast. Later that day we turned the bedroom upside down looking for this teddy and I sent my husband to reception to ask if it was handed in and he was told no " no monkey teddy had been handed in but had he lost sunglasses".

We did our best to passify our little one but a favorite teddy to a two year old is a difficult thing to lose and you dread putting them to bed that night.
We went to dinner that evening and a little girl of a similar age was sat at the table next to us. Emily was thrilled to yell out that she found Ooh Ooh Monkey. The Mother of the child was mortified and exclaimed that the toy was giving on arrival (around midday) by the reception staff or concierge. Kindly the toy was giving back to us and we were able to get our little one to bed that evening.

This toy was handed out by supposed 4 star reception staff less than 2 hours after we had left it at breakfast. I understand that mistakes our made but to actually then deny it when we asked is unacceptable.

Other issues this stay included
(1) Request for a fan as 29 weeks pregnant not responded to
No air conditioning in the rooms ( this is probably standard and can be excused as we are having exceptional weather) - However I asked as we had a room in the attic which was quite large with only a velux window for vintilation for a second fan and was told by reception all guests were asking for the same. When I pleaded that I was 29 weeks pregnant she said she would see what she could do and I hoped that pregnancy and an above average temperature would mean that I would be shown some mercy but No when I got back to the hotel no note excaliming what had been done to assist me and my request felt ignored.

(2) Mixer in the Shower faulty however with the heat did not mind cold showers. Did not even mention this as I am not a usual hotel complainer.

(3) Dinner on the saturday night was over done we had sole and lamb and the only option for a pregnant woman for starter was soup. My main meal had three black flys land on my red cabbage which efused to shoo away which was not the most appetising. From previous visits we expected the usual high service and when I mentioned it was not as previous visit the excuse was that they had a busy day due to a wedding. This should not mean a decline in standards for all other paying guests.

I would have rated terrible however the location and the swimming pool were brilliant and we will be looking at other hotels in this area with swimming pools as they are a must for a family. I believe the best western around the corner may have.

Room Tip: If heatwave and pregnant avoid the second floor and don't expect any mercy from staff
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Joanne G
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

A lovely hotel ,that has been brought up to date. The staff were excellent, extremely polite and helpful. The room was large with lake views. There was plenty of storage, an iron with board, hair dryer and safe. The swimming pool was warm and an constant depth for the whole of its length. (You need a pound coin for the locker )Unfortunately, we were unable to try the spa treatments, as they were fully booked. However, we did enjoy the steam and ice rooms, also relaxed on the sun terrace facing the lake, in 25+ degrees!
The restaurant was superb, food graciously served and fantastic tasting! The tables were arranged so that most diners had a views of that lake.
It would have been helpful if the spacious bathroom had hooks for clothes and bathrobe. Beware if you book on line, make sure you phone the hotel to confirm your dinner and spa reservations.

Room Tip: Request a lake view. Very popular in the summer, so some noise from boats and other holiday makers.
Yorkshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a mid week break early July and managed to catch the almost perfect weather. The Old England is perfectly situated by the lakeside and we had a lovely room with lake views, absolute perfection ! We had a good sized room, very comfortable with a large, modern bathroom. The Reception Desk staff and Concierge were friendly and helpful, the breakfasts in the Restaurant overlooking the lake were first class, the waiters and waitresses prompt and efficient.The reason I give the hotel 4 stars instead of the 5 it deserves is due to the service on the Terrace Bar. The Terrace is perfectly situated on an elevated level overlooking the lake, we have stayed at the hotel previously and enjoy sitting on the Terrace late afternoon or evening to have a quiet drink and watch the boats coming and going. Unfortunately on each occasion this visit we found the staff serving the Terrace to be totally inattentive, uninterested, vacant and void of any personality, people were ignored, tables were not cleared, etc.generally very poor service. This will not deter us from visiting again however, by next time maybe the service on the Terrace will have improved and our stay will then be perfect.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a lake view
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stuart84
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

A perfect place for a relaxing break. The staff were very attentive, food and service were excellent, The Spa is definitely worth a visit. Our room had a balcony which allowed us to enjoy the sights, the Bar terrace also enabled us to sit and 'watch the world go by' with lovely views over the lake. The Hotel is ideally situated to enjoy either taking in the beautiful Lakeland scenery or for touring Windermere. A tip if visiting, the car park is not easy to find but if you pull up outside the Hotel we found the staff were only to willing to park your car for you whilst you check in

Room Tip: We had room 23 I believe this is one of the 'superior' rooms benefiting from a balcony overl...
1 Thank Peter C
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Old England on weekend of 5th/6th July to celebrate my husbands 60th birthday. Accompanied by our two daughters their partners and our two young grandchildren. We booked three rooms, two overlooked the lake with absolutely fantastic views and although the family room overlooked the side of the hotel the view was still lovely. All the rooms had excellent facilities. The hotel service was excellent over the two nights of our stay both at reception and in the restaurant nothing was too much trouble and the hotel is well staffed. The terrace overlooking the lake is fantastic made even better by superb weather which was glorious. The pool is fantastic clean large by hotel standards very modern with a separate terrace also over looking the lake, the pictures on the website don't do it justice. All three families thoroughly enjoyed the stay which was a real treat. Food was lovely with breakfast a joy so much to choose from. I cannot fault the hotel it gave us an excellent celebratory weekend.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel with a view of the lake it is magical
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Taylors798
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We visited the outdoor bar/terrace for a drink and a bite to eat. We found a table and sat down as all staff were ignoring us. We then waited ages and still no acknowledgement or menus. I went inside to just buy the drinks as we had decided by now that ordering food was going to be too much hard work and waiting. I eventually was served and then told I had to have the drinks brought out! So still thisty and still waiting. A further 10 mins later we were given the drinks after chasing for them. The table also was eventually cleared from the remains of the previous peoples lunch. Then we had the debacle of paying for the drinks. I had enough by this point and waited outside, it took my partner 10 mins to pay inside at the bar. He paid cash and she did not even give him his change until he asked for it.
Absoloutly disgraceful from a hotel claiming to be 5 star. The view was nice but everything else detracted from this.
Overpriced, slow, pretentious, inattentive.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Wendini82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#19 of 20 in Windermere
The BEST WESTERN Burnside Hotel & Spa
The BEST WESTERN Burnside Hotel ...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,438 reviews

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!