The hotel is in a quiet street near the lake and a church. However, just a minute stroll and you are right in the centre of town with great access to all the shops, pubs, restaurants nearby and also perfectly placed for a lake side walk. The reception staff have someone who can park your car for you in their car park for no additional cost, so you can literally park up outside and go in and they will park your car for you. They also have a few places immediately outside the hotel which is useful for those with mobility issues or small children.
The hotel isn't what I expect from a five star but is certaily a four star. The room we had overlooked the lake and was large and comfortable. Rooms at the back of the hotel overlook the lake.
Dinner and drinks are very expensive. We did eat in the restaurant on the first night and used a gourmet society card which gives you 25% off the total bill so that helped. But you are so well placed to walk to other pubs and restaurants nearby so it isn't a problem Would recommend THE ALBERT pub. The food is lovely and well presented and the choice was excellent as was the price. You pay approx £14.95 for two courses. Also JACKSONS bistro was good but you need to book there at Easter hols etc.
The hotel has a library room with comfy seating and games like scrabble etc in there which was a nice place to spend an hour or so in the evening. On one evening we took the game into the bar and ordered peppermint tea for two and it cost £9.10 for two teas! No wonder the bar is so empty. Have to say we found the staff in the restaurant and at breakfast and in the bar absolutely lovely. They were friendly, courteous and attentive. However, with so much competition on the doorstep the prices of food and drinks need to be addressed!
We really enjoyed our stay here. The Spa is wonderful and the spa manager and the therapist I had were brilliant. The spa gets incredibly busy so booking ahead is advisable and ask about the deal of the month. I had a ginger and salt glow treatment that came with an excellent Elemis gift and really couldn't fault this spa in any way and I have used many! I would have booked more treatments but it was fully booked throughout the Easter week. During the holidays the pool is available to children from approx 10am till 7pm. So if you want kid free swimming go out of the school hols.
We would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District