We had paid extra for a lake view and we did have a superb outlook from our room although slightly obscured by bird muck on the window. The room was also very dated and overdue a refurb. The furniture was tatty mahogany and very old fashioned. We ate in the restaurant in the evening which was lovely but at breakfast we couldn't believe it was the same place. It was chaos with no system at all and we waited more than an hour for our breakfast. We only managed to order after getting up to ask a passing member of staff to take our order and finally got our food after complaining, along with many others, that it had been an hour. The wrong dish arrived but we were too hungry to complain again. There had been similar chaos at the spa the evening before when we went for a swim only to be told it was full and there was a waiting list. After waiting in our rooms for 45 mins we phoned the spa and were told we could now come down. When talking to others in the sauna we discovered they were from another holiday complex nearby and had been given use of the facilities! We were furious to have paid for a hotel with pool only to be made to wait due to guests from other places taking priority. All in all a very stressful experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District