Stayed here for our mini moon in September, beautiful hotel, beautiful view from the room and the bar area. The only down sides we had, we waited 4 hrs to check into our room luckily we had spa treatments booked in so we got on with them but 4 hrs is a very long time to wait to get into your room, when I complained about this as it as our mini moon they gave us a complimentary bottle of fizz with our evening meal, which was delicious meat was so tender just melted in my mouth :), day two we went out for a boat trip which was nice took 45 mins then had a coffee when we returned to our room, the door was wide open wedged with a towel! We walked right in a stood by the window in complete shock, the maid then walked in said hello and got on with the cleaning, I went straight down to reception to complain about this as it was highly unacceptable! I was stood waiting in a que then was told to take a seat and waiting another 5 or so mins for the manager, when I told him what had happened and how unhappy I was as we had left our wedding gifts in the room and my jewellery he replied, they have to leave the doors open for the cleaning supervisor to check the rooms! He asked me to check that everything was there and let him know, he then offered us another free bottle of fizz with our evening meal, nice gesture but still didn't take away the fact that they happily leave rooms wide open for someone to check, they have keys so they should just let themselves in! He then rang straight away to check that all out things were still there, which they were. The morning after we went for breakfast and waited 15 mins to be seating, once seated we waited a further 10 mins for our drinks to be ordered, we then waiting another 10 mins for them to come and for our food to be ordered, they had 4 people cleaning one table while they had guest sat down not having been seen to, we complained about this and the manager dealt with our complaint in a very nice mannor. Having had some many problems in a small amount of time we wer left not wanting to return, but the managers apology made us feel better. We would visit the hotel again so it wasn't that bad that it made us not want to go back again, the manager offered us to contact her when we return for our anniversary so she can make sure our next visit has no problems :) we would recommend the hotel to our friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District