We decided to book a last minute get away with a bit of luxury to spend some quality time together in beautiful surroundings. The MacDonald Old England Hotel & Spa has a prime location in Bowness-on-Windemere right on the lake side and minutes from the piers, shops & restaurants.
Upon arrival there is no obvious parking other than a few blue badge holder spots out front but they provide a valet service. The staff were polite but not overbearing & very helpful with advising hotel amenities or recommendations for local restaurants.
We were helped with our bags to our room which was a good size & though not modern, it was clean & decorated in keeping with the hotel. Our view was of the the gardens, the lake & piers, stunning. There was a wedding on with the bride & groom having photos taken in the garden overlooking the lake.
The lounge area is a great room with large windows overlooking the lake & big comfy chairs & sofas. We decided to have a cream tea & sat out on the terrace in the bar area again overlooking the lake enjoying the sun.
Food was quite expensive, with tuna sandwich at circa £8 but the cream tea was good value. We then went for a wander round the piers, shops, bars & restaurants; which are literally accessible within minutes.
After our sunset cruise we had a lovely meal at one of the recommended restaurants & then went to bed. The beds are comfortable & we had a good nights sleep. In the morning we were treated to a good breakfast with lots of choice for both continental & cooked breakfast and good service. Though we were glad we didn't take sugar as when cleaning the tables the sugar got a blast of the spray used to clean the tables and would probably benefit from clearing the table fully before wiping clean.
We vacated our room but had some treatments booked in the spa, leaving our luggage at reception & our bill open we headed down to the spa. It was was lovely. We didn't see the pool or gym but if the treatment area and relaxation room was anything to go by I can imagine they were of a good standard.
The staff were very friendly & extremely professional and the treatments were great. I have regular facials at my local reputable salon and though the costs were much higher this is usually the norm & to be expected at such hotels.
Would we go back? YES!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District