Received this complimentary break due to a poor service at Kilhey Court, Standish for our wedding in 2010. We arrived on the Friday night and the welcome we received was excellent. We had a lovely room with a lake view and balcony (think this was down to the manager from Kilhey Court) . We went to the restaurant for dinner and the choice of food was very disappointing. If vegetarians don't like mushrooms you will have to eat elsewhere!! The view was gorgeous though. Although our dinners were paid for we decided to eat elsewhere on the Saturday night as the menu didn't change and it isn't value for money. We went down for breakfast and were told we had to pay for any hot food - again the choice was disappointing and the same for both days. If you had paid for bed and breakfast at £120 (minimum) a night you would have expected something hot!! There was a lovely pub called The Albert 2 minutes away which had some good entertainment on Friday night and excellent food. The staff love anyone who is willing to pay over the odds for service (older couples) and will run around after them prioritising over others (especially younger couples)
Everything at this hotel was very clean and well maintained. The free car park was 2 minutes walk away but is not very secure - you need to pay for a card to go in but you get the money back at the end but you don't need to swipe it as you leave the car park at any time so anyone could take your car as it is down a side street - the hotel will not accept any responsibility. Overall a good experience and would stay again - without breakfast and dinner!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District