“Lovely location, wonderful service”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunderland
“Lovely location, wonderful service”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed a night over the May Bank Holiday and had a lovely time.

On arrival our car was valet parked and our bags taken to our wonderful room. Big bed and bathroom and a fantastic view of the lake.

The pool and spa areas were great and when we returned to the room and ordered ice it was delivered by room service in minutes.

We had dinner in the evening in the hotel and were given a table in the window which again had wonderful view over the lake and we really enjoyed the food, again the service was swift and attentive.

Although cooked breakfasts were not included it was far more than simply a continental breakfast. We could have eaten breakfast for hours!

Checkout was quick, though we did leave earlier than most.

All in all it was wonderful, we can't wait to get married there in August!

• Stayed April 2011
MacdonaldOldEngland, General Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2011
Dear Guest
Many thanks, I am delighted to receive your positive comments about the Hotel and service. I have made a point to pass on your kind remarks to all of the staff and we are very happy to have been of service to you and your family. We look forward to accommodating you again.

Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Arabic first
London
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We booked standard family room - travelling just with one 10 years old child. The room was very small with a lake view but also with a roof view of adjacent service block. The room with a bunk bed for children can't be called a room - it was a closet. The bathroom was outdated with poorely working taps and the water barely running. There was no porter to help with luggage. The service at breakfast and dinner was exceptionally inefficient - people were sittied at the tables already taken by someone else, we had to wait about 20 minutes for the toasts to arrive after ordering them first thing. The food during breakfast was good however. The choice was good but they ran out of most of dishes by 9:30 - I guess because they were full and simply couldn't cope. The service stuff - mainly easter europeans - were not very well trained. You could constantly hear guests complaining about service etc. Waiting for a simple drink at the empty bar for 15 minutes is too long.The greatest disappointent was swimming pool which was closed for the children most of the day. They have just 2 slots during lunch time and tea time when children under 13 can use the pool which basically makes it unusable for children. However, the hotel didn't have any reservations to allow small babies at the candlelight dinner. With very slow service it was inevitable that poor babies cried their heads off so you could barely hear the piano. It could have been easily accommodated since there were 2 adjacent dinning rooms. The food at dinner was ok but nothing special.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank VictoriaP_London
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. Upon arrival we discovered the free parking was offsite (3 streets away) with no offer of assistance with luggage or parking of car and as my husband is disabled this would have helped greatly, instead upon check in I overheard an elderly gentleman being offered both services!

We paid extra for a lake view room only to find we could not control the hearing within the room and the window opened approx 3 inches. Those 3 inches let in the cigarette smoke from the smokers in the garden area below our window.

Staff were 'huffy' when you asked for anything - we requested ice to our room only for it to be delivered by a very huffy gentleman who then decided to argue with us over the ice bucket.

Breakfast was of poor quality for the price - I could see more of the plate than I could food and that was only after sending it back as they got the order completely wrong.

We did find the spa and leisure staff to be extremely helpful and kind. Spa treatments were very good as well as expensive but we left relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the treatments.

We found this hotel did not provide the level of service I would expect of a 4* McDonald hotel and put a dampener on what should have been an enjoyable and memorable time away for us.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank FRC83
MacdonaldOldEngland, General Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Dear Guest
We always welcome feedback weather it be positive or negative and ways in which we can improve our Hotel service and quality, and as such, I would like to assure you that all aspects of your review are taken on board and shared with the team.
We have three car parks at the hotel, two being onsite with our larger car park a short walk away from the hotel. Because of this we do offer valet parking and would have been delighted to park your car for you and help you with your luggage. I am sorry to note that you did not see the signage for this service. As you are aware space around the hotel is slight due to the heritage style streets and I apologise that you had to park in our off site free car park. Due to safety reasons our windows only open to a certain degree, had you informed reception of the heating issue you had in the room we would have been more than happy to lower the temperature of the heating to your specification. I noticed you described the staff as ‘Huffy’; please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service standards experienced at this time. This is clearly not the usual high standard of hospitality we would wish to offer and I am very sorry your expectations were not met on this occasion. I am surprised the selection of breakfast offered was not satisfactory, we do receive a number of positive comments about our breakfast selection quantity and variety; however I respect your point of view on this. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your spa experience and pleased to note that you found the experience relaxing. Please be assured that we always take guests feedback on board and thank you for writing you comments on trip advisor.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Four of us stayed on a bed, breakfast and dinner package. From the moment we arrived and the concierge dealt with parking we suspected this would be a good stay. It was. the staff were unfailingly helpful, the views from the lounge over the lake were great and both huge rooms also had good lake views. The hotel is much in the style of keeping tradition alive, but updated to fit the twentyfirst century. Altogether we all thought it was relaxing and such a good location. Dinner was excellent - helped by a staff who actually seemed to enjoy their jobs. Breakfast was continental unless you paid a supplement. The Continenal Buffet was just about OK and could be a lot more varied. One of us had a cooked option which was served at the table. They thought it was good quality but not a generous portion. We stayed at the weekend when prices seem to be decidedly higher than mid-week. As several reviewers have said, the Hotel is pricey ( but good Lake District Hotels tend to be, I guess). We would all recommend the Hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelalot053
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor. Please be assured that we always take feedback on board and I am delighted to receive the positive comments that you have given our Hotel from your experience. I will be sure to pass on your feedback to all of the staff involved. I will be speaking to our chef direct about the quantity and variety of the continental breakfast and thank you for bringing your opinion to our attention. We look forward to seeing you back at the hotel soon.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Just got back from staying here, and although the first room we had had building work outside waking us up early in the morning, a quick visit to Reception, and we were moved to another room with a view over the Lake ! The rooms were well presented, but had a few awful nights sleep - the pillows were not great. Stayed in better 4* hotels, but would recommend this hotel to others. We did not dine in the restaurant or have Breakfast included.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
I am glad to see that you found our rooms well presented. I do apologize about the noise from the building work from a neighboring property waking you up on the first morning of you stay. We have discussed the matter with them and they have ensured that no noisy work will be carried out in the mornings from now on. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am also sorry to hear you did not like the pillows, I will direct this matter to or house keeping department for investigation and resolution. Thank you for your comments.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights . fantastic stay. excellent location and a very good veiw of lake from the rooms.
Staff was very nice and helpfull thumbs up for the conceirge one with glasses sorry cant remember name.
my wife used spa services and she was very pleased. gym swiming pool sona.
if i had to mark i would give 10/10.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest
We have always had a passionate approach to hospitality, and it is wonderful to see this coming through in our service. I am pleased that you felt that the staff were helpful, and this has been a comment that has been echoed by other guests and travelers. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I can really only echo what other reviews have pointed out here, this is a very, very nice hotel but high in price. We arrived floundered after a tough 5 hour trip up the M6 on Good Friday only to be told (by an Alan Rickman sound-alike) there was no record of our booking. Thankfully, I had proof and everything was swiftly sorted out by the helpful Juliette, whilst our car was valet-parked for free. Our room was lovely, clean and airy with a blissful view of the Lake. We had a few hours walk around Bowness, stopping for the odd beer at the numerous pubs - we did chance the hotel bar but once we'd picked ourselves up off the floor upon seeing the price list we ventured out again. My wife used the spa facilities and gave them a thumbs up. Breakfast was continental - I like me fry-ups so was a bit miffed that a cooked brekkie was extra but there was enough choice to fill my belly in prep for a day's walking. Day two I did shell out for the brekkie and it was really nice, although one did have the eclectic choice of fried bread OR baked beans. I negotiated away a grilled tomato so I could have both and it was accepted without a quibble. We left after two superb days with heavy hearts.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Many thanks for all of your positive comments about our Hotel and Spa facility and team. Macdonald Hotels have a passionate approach to hospitality and so it is really encouraging to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa. I have noted your comments regarding breakfast and passed them on to the Food and Beverage manager for review. It is only by receiving feedback from our guests both positive and negative that we are able to improve the service that we offer, so please be assured that we take your comments very seriously. I noted you found our hotel a bit pricy, if you are interested in returning to the hotel may I direct you to our web-site on which you can find some fantastic deals which include meal and accommodation deals. I hope to see you back soon at the Macdonald Old England Hotel and Spa for your next trip away.
Jonathan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#3 of 20 in Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!