“Tired” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield

Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
“Tired”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2006

I stayed at the hotel for one night with my wife and two children. I am sure the hotel was once a really great place but it is now very tired and clearly overdue for a total re-fit. I had to book two rooms as the hotel has no family rooms or rooms that accommodate more than three people. Both were cold, one had an electric radiator and I called to get another. Both rooms had bathrooms en-suite but the wash basins were in the bedroom. OK if it was a guest house or maybe if it had one star not three or if we were still in the seventies but by today’s standards not acceptable. The hotel advertises a snooker room. It hasn’t got one. There is a room in which there is a pool table but it is occupied most of the time for staff meetings it seemed to me. I went to the hotel bar to get a drink to find the bar un-manned with a sign directing me to reception in order to muster service. The hotel has a great location and we were able to escape easily in order to enjoy a really good meal at the Porthole restaurant in Bowness. Breakfast was OK. Overall Tired/Shabby and overpriced best describe the hotel in its current state.

• Stayed February 2006
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
north east england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2005

We stayed here for 2 nights, two adults and one young child.
After reading the other reviews I must admit I was slightly worried about what we would find. No need to worry we received an excellent, professional reception. The room (suite) was excellent and overall the hotel was nice and clean,the facilities were adaquate although some money could and should be spent, i.e. carpets, furniture and the lift.
Overall we were very happy with our stay, the hotel has a fantastic location and is a lovely building, OK some modernisation is needed but the hotel does its best with what it has got.

2 Thank neildturnbull
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2005

Returned to The Belsfield for another stay in the Lake District this weekend. For the price and rating of this hotel, it's great.

It is a little shabby around the edges, but the staff and location are fantastic - would recommend it everytime.

Durham City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2005

We have just returned from stopping at the Belsfield and had a great stay , the staff were very friendly and helpful , This hotel was built in the 1800s and has a fantastic view over the lake . Our room we stopped in was room 68 which was quite large with a large bathroom, Yes the hotel is old and the lift has to be seen to believed, but this adds to the fascinating atmosphere the hotel has . The breakfast were very good and plenty to eat and the waitress asking if we wanted any more toast or hot drinks , The breakfast was very hot with a good selection . The only negative part I can say was the hotel pool , very cold , in fact that was a under statement , I was expecting to see ice floating on the top ! The sauna resolved that
If you are going to stay at the Belsfield you will not be disappointed ! The hotel receptionist deserve a mention they are very professional and very welcoming .

3 Thank Sclarks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

IF YOU ARE STAYING IN BOWNESS/WINDERMERE - THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY! I have stayed in hotels in Bowness for the past ten years and nowhere touches the hospitality of the Belsfield House (NOT BELSFIELD HOTEL)! The rooms are spacious and luxurious, the owners are friendly and will do anything for you and the location is GREAT! Trust me - book here - you won't be disappointed.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2005

I read the review of this hotel, which was posted on 1st August this year, and wondered what I'd let myself in for. I had already booked via the Corus website and thought about cancelling and booking another hotel. I was glad I didn't. My opinion of the hotel was the exact opposite of the author of that review, which goes to show that in this situation there is no 'right' or 'wrong'...only opinion!
This is a grand old hotel built in the 1840's and whilst it is old and the floorboards creek and the furniture isn't from Ikea and it isn't the most up to date building and my mate caught his finger in the old lift door (ha ha), this is all part of its charm and appeal. The reception staff and very friendly, helpful and efficient. Our room (61) was modern, clean and we couldn't fault it (could do with some better instant coffee though). The standard of cleanliness, decoration and furniture was faultless. We didn't use the hotel for any meals as we had booked a value room-only break but there were plenty of people taking tea in the bar and lounge when we arrived which is a good indication, to me anyway, that the quality of the food and drinks is good.
I've been coming to The Lakes, in particular Windermere and Bowness for years now and this is the first time I've stayed at The Belsfield. Based on my experience I will definately be booking to stay here again. I would also recommend The Belsfield to anyone else.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield? Share your experiences!