We booked this hotel for one night away on the 16th March 2013. We arrived around midday and the hotels location was great, right next to the lake with fantastic views over windemere. We took a look around the inside of the hotel and it was very grand, with very tall ceilings resembling an old style museum sort of style, typically english, which we liked. We was looking for a romantic, cosy hotel to enjoy which we did. Our room was spacious with a big double bed, and a big spacious, bright bathroom aswell. It had tea/coffee making facilities, tv with freeview channels, hairdryer and an iron (we had to dial for reception to bring us an ironing board, which was no trouble), it was brought up to us within ten minutes.
The only downfall was our evening meal ordeal... We booked our reservation for 20.30 and was sat on a table beside the large windows overlooking the lake. We were offered homemade bread as we sat down with butter as an appetiser, which was a nice touch.
We ordered a bottle of white pinot gricio wine, two carrot and corriander soups and two lamb wellingtons for our mains. The waiter returned asking us if it was white or red wine we wanted, we told him white and he brought us a bottle over...
Our soups were brought out which were very tasty, we were offered more bread by the young waitress and asked several times by an older lady waitress if we and our meals were ok.
We then were delivered our main meals, which were just average meals. one postit-note sized big chip for our potatoes, and a tiny peice of lamb wrapped in thick pastry. My meal was ok, however my boyfriends lamb was literally just grittle, he could not cut through it at all infact he couldn't even get his knife and fork into the meat! He told the older lady waitress who agreed it wasnt edible and we ordered him the chicken meal instead, which she informed us would take 6 minutes... I had finished my meal by the time my boyfriends meal had been brought out. I ate a meal on my own and then my boyfriend ate his... not what usually happens in a restaurant!
His chicken meal was grilled chicken with peas and other various veg with a very thin watery sauce. He didnt enjoy it at all. We complained to the lady who seems to think we was out of order explaining we hadnt enjoyed our meal. We told them we wasnt going to pay for the food as our evening was made feel very awkward and unenjoyable and only paid for our wine... We ordered white pinot gricio which was £18 a bottle, our wine bill was £20, we had been brought out the wrong wine after being asked twice. The food and the older lady waitress seems to be bringing the hotels marks down.
On a lighter note, we woke for breakfast to snow covering the hills and nearby area, breakfast was lovely and this regained our faith, but you cant really go wrong with breakfast.
Another note at breakfast time, the same older lady waitress brought us two pots of tea, one with two tea bags in and one pot with just boiling water... confusion as to why simple things couldn't be done correctly.
Overall a nice room/hotel/break away!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Bowness on the Eastern shore of Lake Windermere and directly overlooking the "Belle Isle", the Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield is the perfect place from which to enjoy a holiday in Windermere. Set in 6 acres of landscaped gardens the boutique hotel offers unparalleled views over Lake Windermere in the foreground, and on the farther shore can be seen the often snow-capped Langdale Pikes and the Fairfield Horseshoe. The Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield has 62 designer bedrooms, including 25 Lake View bedrooms and 12 Garden View rooms, with 2 Four Poster bedrooms and Suites all enjoying views looking down Lake Windermere. Dining is provided in the Belsfield Restaurant and Belsfield Brasserie, with drinks in the Lounge Bar and opportunities to relax and take tea or coffee in the Drawing Room and Library. The setting makes the hotel the perfect location for your dream wedding, with a beautiful new glass reception overlooking Lake Windermere creating a magnificent arrival. Facilities for up to 100 guests are available. Newly refurbished meeting rooms with state of the art conferencing facilities make the hotel the ideal venue for your company event in the Lake District. We are also able to assist in organising special events within the grounds for special motivational or sales driven events using tents and various performances. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotel.de, Travelocity, Agoda and Orbitz so you can book your Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belsfield Hotel Bowness On Windermere
- Belsfield Bowness On Windermere
- Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District