Our second visit in as many years - taking advantage of the special 'reduced rate' deal they do at this time of year. we are not 'high rollers' (though she's a Dr.) this is becoming an annual 'treat'. We regard what you get under this deal as very good value for money.
As before: service is friendly but not fawning, smart but not stuffy. Food again excellent and eye opening. Room was warm, comfortable and spacious enough.
it is a gorgeous out of the way location, but also very convenient for windermere and the rest of the lake district.
i like the fact you don't have to wear a collar and tie to dinner if you don't want to (but don't wander in with an offensive t-shirt)
i think this hotel is genuinely interested in making sure that guests come back, and keep coming back.
For those who haven't been before - and i've read some of the negative reviews on here - guests need to understand this hotel is offering FINE DINING. they don't have a michelin star but are in the michelin guide - that is the standard and style they are aiming at. After a five course dinner you shouldn't go hungry. However, if you're looking for somewhere offering a 'slap up feed' then this hotel might not be for you.
they accommodate children but within certain rules (my family and nieces and nephews have been for sunday lunch before in the past - and the staff - and other guests - were very tolerant of them and theire 2- 5 year old ways ) but this hotel's offer for overnight stays is firmly aimed at couples and older family groups.
and finally - if you're not happy with something - TELL THEM - because they'll want to set it right. If you're not happy then come on here to moan about it, how can they set it right then?
Only minor niggles were:
last year's canapes were much more interesting (crab, arancini balls, bruschetta etc) ... this year's were all based on 'something you could serve in a glass to spread on toast'. Chicken liver parfait, hummus etc. She joked they were on a baby food theme - i think thats a bit harsh. this might be a reflection on current economic realities. would love to see the old canapes back next year though!
took nearly half an hour to serve up a chicken sandwich in mid afternoon on saturday (not sure what was going on there)
on the sunday night there were cubes of maple syrup jelly in the soup. I have no idea how they got there, i can only presume they fell in there by accident.
still the odd bit of over-seasoning going on e.g. on one occasion with the fish. and i like things well seasoned. (kitchen - its better under than over, then it can be corrected at the table if necessary)
Overall, terrific again though.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the Lake District's best country house hotels, but unstuffy! Great views, acres of private grounds, fishing, golf nearby, hiking, walking, extreme sports all within easy access. Great food, from fine dining to the Unstuffy Hamburger! Many wines by the glass and beers from local macro breweries. Lots of staff to pamper you and help you relax. Two rooms have private hot tubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Linthwaite House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Linthwaite Hotel Windermere
- Linthwaite House Hotel
- Linthwaite House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District