“Best hotel in Lakes? - Best hotel in Britain!”
Review of Linthwaite House

Linthwaite House
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Put simply, Linthwaite House is the benchmark against which we will judge any boutique hotel in the UK. We have yet to find one better. It isn't cheap but despite the prices the place is always full, (but never seems crowded).

We have just had our wedding there, (which was perfect) so it might be easy for us to be dewy eyed about the hotel, but this was our third trip to Linthwaite and every occasion compels us to return. It was the obvious choice for our wedding.

The location sells itself, set in beautiful grounds overlooking Lake Windermere's southern end (Bowness is mercifully out of sight).
The rooms are all fantastic - we have stayed in the new loft suite (31) which is awesome, but also in what the hotel think is their least attractive room, which was itself entirely satisfactory.

The food is as spectacular as the view. Full of little touches of genius, but with quality throughout, Linthwaite is not only our favourite hotel in Britain, but one of our favourite restaurants as well.

The whole ambience of the hotel is relaxed, quiet and calm. A pot of tea is never more than a polite request away. There is ample lounge and conservatory area for all guests to relax in comfort.

But the best thing about Linthwaite is the service. The staff are all amazing. Not only do they patiently cater for your every need, they genuinely seem to enjoy their work, and they all seem to have a very gentle demeanor about them, which is both reassuring as well as welcoming.

As for the wedding, we couldn't be happier with Linthwaite. The hotel has its own wedding co-ordinator. I understand the hotel hosts about 30 weddings per year, but we felt like we were the only ones throughout. The co-ordinator does a fantastic job in helping with the planning, keeping momentum and answering queries.

On our wedding day (27 March 2009) the staff were again amazing. If readers think that we are easily pleased then read our other reviews - after three visits to Linthwaite, we simply cannot fault their staff or the hotel.

For new visitors to the lake district, I regret to report that the high level of competition does not always drive up quality... but there are some places with a real passion for delivering great service. Linthwaite is one such place, and if anyone knows of a better hotel experience to be had in the UK, then I would be delighted to hear about it.

1  Thank claireandchris
There are newer reviews for Linthwaite House

Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed in Linthwaite House Hotel for Christmas. Excellent hotel, very friendly staff, very clean rooms and the food was just superb!

Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is the third year I have visited - from Asia, where I hop around between 5-star chain hotels all the time - and I will definitely be back later this year and I expect again in 2010.
Everything about the Linthwaite offering fits perfectly the low-key, civilised, relaxed holiday break I need - with good food, a very attentive and friendly staff (and loyal - good to see the same faces year after year), and of course a great setting right above Bowness and away from the hurly-burly of "downtown" Windermere.

Good value too, especially with one of the mid-week/off-peak specials. You have me converted!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Stayed in one of the outside new rooms and it was beautiful. Food was good and the service was excellent the staff are very friendly and nothing seems to much trouble. The hotel has a lovely warm feel about it and we will be back for a third visit soon.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2009

We went here to celebrate my birthday and everything was wonderful! We're both vegetarians and the menu was great, for once we were spoilt for choice. Very attentive staff and a beautiful location.

Reviewed March 7, 2009

We've just had the most spectacular few days at Linthwaite for my birthday and, quite honestly, I couldnt have asked for a more beautiful, peaceful, unhurried, romantic birthday if I'd spent a month of sundays thinking what I wanted! The setting is exquisite but we knew that from having researched it before hand. What we were unprepared for was the magnificent room we had! The view over the lake was quite the most magical image to wake up to and whilst the weather was very cold, (well, it is the Lake District in March so that was hardly a shock), it was bright each morning.
The food is fabulous! My partner fancies himself as quite the foodie so this was right up his street. The imagination that went into the presentation was beyond belief!
We didnt tell the hotel it was my birthday but I suspect, given the effort they went to for us and every other guest, it seemed to me that there could have been something very special arranged for me, had they known.
My personal criteria for a good hotel is non-negotiable: a good, firm, comfortable bed, hot showers, plenty of towels and peace and quiet! Check all those! The hotel was far from empty but we really didnt hear anyone once we had closed our door!
Thank you hugely from a very very happy and contented birthday girl!

Reviewed March 7, 2009

my family and I stayed in this hotel for my brother in laws wedding, the hotel itself was situated in lovely grounds with well kept gardens to walk round and relax in. The hotel was gorgeous inside very tastefully decorated and felt very welcoming and relaxing. The staff were really helpful and friendly nothing was to much trouble for them. Our room was lovely, there was nothing at all that i could find fault with this hotel, we all really enjoyed out saty there .

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Linthwaite House? Share your experiences!