“Not the best steak I have ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Village Inn

Village Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Village Inn is one of Bowness-on-Windermere's most popular bars, situated just seconds from the shores of Lake Windermere and is open daily from 10am until late, serving fresh, locally sourced produce, with homemade pasta dishes and creations from the grill, a speciality. The bar offers a wide range of real ales and an excellent selection of vodkas, beers, brandies, and an extensive wine list with 50 wines from around the globe. In the summer, the Village Inn also launched a new range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, which have proved especially popular, in addition to new outside furniture and heaters. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness-on-Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
“Not the best steak I have ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have to disagree with the last review, I have eaten at the village inn many times and never had a problem with the food, till now. I went in this week and the steak was terrible, also my wife had a chicken dish which was just as bad. Please go back to how it was.

• Visited September 2013
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
It is too late to deal with your complaint about the steak and the chicken. If you had made a comment when you were there, or even contact us directly, we may have been able to find out what the problems were and rectified them as without knowing what was wrong with either dish, at the time, and being able to find out the cause, it is very hard to find out the cause.
We have just done a recent survey of customers, which came back with a glowing report of how tasty the steaks were especially.
I am sorry that your experience wasn't memorable, but this is the problem with TripAdvisor, rather then the old fashioned way of writing a letter, or even an email, giving some detail as to what was actually wrong on that particular evening. If you would like to send a letter to management, we will then try and deal with it if possible, or at least pass on any criticisms.
Glad you enjoyed it all the other times.

• Greek first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cool bar, great atmospheres, nice cocktails!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

We spent quite a bit of our evening in this bar sampling the cocktails! There is a cool interior and atmosphere, great selection of cocktails and the staff were great to have a chat and a laugh with!

Visited September 2013
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hi Aaron M, we are so glad to hear how much you enjoyed sampling our cocktail menu. We are in the process of updating our list with some exciting new cocktails, so we look forward to seeing you again soon for your feedback on the changes!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, bad and ugly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Walked into the restaurant, thought very nice, lady with pink spiky hair although doing something didnt bother to acknowledge us. Got seated and within about 3mins were asked if we wanted to order,err not yet no. Food came and it was decent in fairness, at no point thereafter were we asked if the food was ok or did we want another drink. Once we had finished we waited and asked twice for the bill finally got it and then waited for someone to collect the money, nobody came! Took the money to the bar nobody ackowledged me so I asked the two chatting waitresses can I leave this with you, the plump blonde waitress took the money from my hand whilst still talking, no thank you or eye contact, very poor in my opinion. Plenty of places with similar food and better service

• Visited September 2013
Dealing with the service at this moment in time, for the first 2 years we had generally good staff but this year have suffered with arrogant and soulless staff and are trying very hard to rectify this situation. Hopefully the service will be better next time.
Luton, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing food at reasonable prices very friendly welcoming staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I absolutely loved the food best steak I have had . Cooked to perfection the desserts are delicious and such a good range , the staff were so friendly and welcoming I will certainly be coming here again on my next trip to the lakes.

• Visited September 2013
Many thanks for your great review. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your steak and the service you received. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Lakes.
Liverpool
“Quantity over quality”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

After reading a few reviews on this site, although there was a couple of negative comments about the service, we thought we'd give it a chance.
We had no problem getting a table as it was a Tuesday anyway! After being seated we had to wait 10 minutes to place an order, not too bad but then we did notice at least 2 other customers having to leave their tables to get the attention of a waitress.
When our food arrived it look nice if a bit huge. But as we started to eat the chips we were suprised to find they were frozen chips.
Very poor considering I ordered fillet steak at £22.50.
And as we sat in the restaurant it became obvious that at least 4 or 5 other tables had started laughing at the very poor attention to service they were NOT gettin. At no stage did we get asked if everything was ok with our food?
To finish Quantity is no substitute for Quality.
Will not be returning as there are plenty of other restaurants to pick from.

• Visited September 2013
Firstly, we use only the best ingredients. As for frozen Chios, there had never been a frozen chip at the Village Inn or any other establishment I have run over the last 40 years. I pride myself in using fresh chips at all times. This does of course cause a problem, as you are forever changing the type of potato used.
As far as the steak is concerned, once again we use top quality steak, and as local as possible.
We have been giving not top quality service this year and we are in the middle, as stated I other comments, of promoting, training nd improving our service level. However, we say quite clearly what we are about - good quality, big portions, cooked simply in modern surroundings.