“A modern gem in Bowness”
Review of Village Inn

Village Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Village Inn is one of Bowness-on-Windermere's most popular bars, situated just seconds from the shores of Lake Windermere and is open daily from 10am until late, serving fresh, locally sourced produce, with homemade pasta dishes and creations from the grill, a speciality. The bar offers a wide range of real ales and an excellent selection of vodkas, beers, brandies, and an extensive wine list with 50 wines from around the globe. In the summer, the Village Inn also launched a new range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails, which have proved especially popular, in addition to new outside furniture and heaters. The Village Inn Bar and Grill is in the heart of Bowness-on-Windermere, its busy restaurant and bar make it a great place for locals and tourists a like. Come and see for yourself!
Leicestershire
“A modern gem in Bowness”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We have been visiting Bowness for many years however this was our first visit to The Village Inn. We didn't fancy going before however as we noticed that it had been taken over and had, had a face lift, we thought we should give it a try. The bar and dining areas are lovely, clean, comfortable and modern. The menu is diverse and resonably priced, there aren't many restaurants in Bowness where you can get a main course for under £15.00. In contrast the main meals ranged between £8.00-£20.00ish, tasted fantastic and were generous in size. We had chicken breast in mushroom garlic sauce, beef burger and fish and chips. fantastic!!! will be back soon.

• Visited May 2011
queensheadtroutbeck, Owner at Village Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
As one of the first to review the newly refurbished Village Inn Bar and Grill, we very much appreciate the praise you have given us for the food, cleanliness and new interior.

Thank you for your review, and hope you have returned since.

• Greek first
“Lovely”
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Waiter wasn't the happiest but place and food was fab

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2011
Thank you for your review. We have only recently opened and have already changed some staff as we only want professionals, but to find decent staff takes time.
“Was a bit dissapointed”
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I have been visiting the village inn for a while now and made frequent visits from Dumfries just to get their mussels in garlic and wine cream sauce, which I might add were beautifully done and was one of my main visits . I arrived last nite to find the village inn taken over , the decor is lovely very tasteful but my mussels were they were brought to me in a pot thing and don't get me wrong the portion was good although the mussels were tiny , they had been steamed in milk with a hint of garlic but i was so disappointed as it wasn't the standard I was used to. So I can say I won't be making anymore frequent trips for these as I can get this anywhere. I also had the fish and chips which also was a bit disappointing , the lady in front of me left some of hers, but I could see it was mostly batter, but I had already ordered and thought it would be fine , needless to say the batter on mine was soggy I removed the fish, ate it and left the batter the home made tarter sauce was nice as was the mushy peas but the fish defiantly was a let down and for over ten pounds didn't think it was good value . My husband got a fillet steak that cost twenty-one pounds , that was defiantly not worth it , it was small and very salty , so normal when I come down to Windermere I would eat here every night but tonight I will go somewhere else sorry

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Thank you for your comments, we are sorry to hear you were disappointed with the new Village Inn Bar and Grill.
The mussels at this time of year are small, but are always cooked from fresh and in cream not milk. The previous owners used mussels that were frozen, but we always use fresh mussels. I apologise if you prefer frozen but we always use the best quality products freshly delivered to us.
We are in the middle of getting the Hot Rocks which allows you to cook your own steak to how you like. We apologise if your steak was over seasoned but £21.00 is the going rate for a Fillet Steak nowadays.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food - 3 nights in a row!”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed in Bowness over Easter and having eaten here before and loved it, we went back expecting good things. Were a little concerned when we learned it had recently changed hands but it was actually even better than before. A great choice of food and really good value for money. Staff friendly and service efficient. What more could you want! - a larger stomach maybe (the portions are pretty large and we never made it to dessert). Perfectly cooked seafood and steak - this place is definitely worth a visit

• Visited April 2011
Better than before says it all!

Excellent review, thank you very much.
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Very Expensive”
Reviewed April 23, 2011

The village inn is very nice, but absolutely "GOBSMACKED" at been charged £4.20 for a pint of lager. I live locally and have always enjoyed a pint in the Village inn, but I will definately be taking my trade to the other pubs in bowness

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank floyd2008
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Village Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2011
Our House Lager starts at £3.30 which is Stella IV, what I would think is one of the cheapest in the village; at least 2 or 3 drinking houses nearby have their lagers priced between at least £3.35 and £3.50. If you want to drink Perroni or any continental lagers, there is a premium and due to their high alcohol percentage, their prices are higher. When reviewing our establishment you should be fairer. I am sure product for product we’re most reasonable.
We have been open 3 days and we are opening this place to entice the locals and not to fall out with them.