“Perfect for a short stay in Bowness”
Review of Ruskin's

Ruskin's
Reviewed April 14, 2012

I had a lovely stay in Ruskins . Location is great, room was fine could probably do with a little updating but perfect for resting your head at night, was a little chilly though but there is an extra heater in the room. The breakfast was delicious and the staff could not have been more accommodating and helpful. I went down to the bar one night for a few drinks and the locals and bartender were chatty and friendly. Would recommend a stay here if you;re in Bowness, good value for money also.

Room Tip: The rooms to the back are probably less noisey although my family had a room facing the road and had...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 10, 2012

We booked here for my boyfriends birthday over the easter weekend. There was a problem with our room on the first night which meant we had to be booked out to a holiday apartment near by. This wasn't a problem for us and Malcolm the owner sorted everything out for us, gave us a lift and a bottle of wine for the birthday boy. The bar is very pleasent with a fantastic atmosphere and breakfast was lovely. We stayed on the 2nd evening & the room was lovely.
The owners are really good at what they do and I would not hesitate to stay again or recommend. Thank you for a really lovely weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2012

As far as value for money goes Ruskins is good compared to other B and Bs in Bowness, it is central for other pubs and resteraunts, the bed was really comfy, however I felt that the room was tired and there was a big damp patch on the wall, the toilet roll holder was falling off so I put it on the floor and the following day it had just been propped back, the room we had was looking onto the main road so was a bit noisy in the morning, we came in quite late and the bar was still quite lively so if you are a light sleeper or go go to bed early I wouldnt recommend it, the breakfast was ok but not the best ( I am just a firm believer in good quality produce so may be a bit picky) I dont think I would return as I would rather pay a little extra next time for a nicer room.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We only stayed the one night but the service was friendly and helpful, the room was nice and clean and the bed was very, very comfortable :) we had a room facing the main road which was quite noisy once it became early morning, but other than that we would stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Overall for the price of Bed & Breakfast, location, hospitality and comfort we were more than happy.

Nice big beds with a thick cosy duvet. Warm and comfortable room with enough space to not feel claustrophobic. The shower room was quite large too even if some of the fixtures were a tiny bit on the tired side.

We got a full, well cooked English breakfast every morning which was freshly cooked to order. That also came with the usual selection of cereals, pastries and drinks. Sorted us out and fueled us for the day. Very nice.

The location was excellent. Well within walking distance of both Bowness and Windermere centres. We preferred Bowness so it was ideal for us.

Overall, The welcome we received was very warm, room was very nice and the price and the location was spot on. I'd recommend and I will more than likely go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Just stopped here for one night. The lovely four popster bedroom was impressive, but a little warm! The bathroom was a tad tired but fully functional. The service was sound, breakfast was standard and the location was fantastic. A great base for a night round Bowness.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My partner and I stayed here the last Sunday in August for 1 night for my birthday. As soon as we arrived we were told there was free parking around the corner from the hotel near some houses and a sports field. Once we had parked up we went back into the hotel which is just like a pub and the barman checked us in, gave us our keys and showed us through a side door leading from the pub into the passageway then up the stairs to our room. We were on the first floor. Since it was my birthday they put us in a room with a huge four poster bed which you would have normally had to pay more for but we didn’t which was nice! This must have been a family room as it also had an extra single bed in it. The room also had a nice flatscreen TV and DVD player, and tea and coffee making facilities. We were also given a key to the actual front door of the hotel in case we were returning late.

The location was excellent as it was smack bang in the middle of Bowness and only about a 5-10 minute walk to the Lake itself. The weather wasn’t particularly good and was quite windy but we still managed to have our picnic at the Lake. We had friends staying in the Winderemere Hotel which was located about a mile away so we enjoyed a nice stroll that evening to their hotel and stopped at a few pubs on the way all of which were really nice.

Ruskins is in such a good location that you don’t have to walk far for something to eat or drink and we had a great time. The following morning I was a bit worse for wear and didn’t manage to make it down for breakfast. My partner did though and the staff said he could bring my breakfast up to our room which is apparently not normally allowed. I thought this was very kind of them and was extremely grateful after my birthday night out!

Before returning home we went for a long walk around Bowness as the weather was much better than the previous day and actually quite warm. Wish we had stayed for more than 1 night!

We will definitely be returning to this hotel in the future!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple