“Great for a family meal”
Review of Hyltons

Hyltons
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We went here for tea and we were not disappointed. Staff very helpful, food nice and reasonably priced with a good choice of children's meals.

There are newer reviews for Hyltons

Reviewed July 31, 2014

A little suprised that this hasn't had better reviews. Staff were worked off their feet (only one person dealing with whole of upstairs) but the service was good and two of our four meals were outstanding. The other two were difficult to review because those members of my family chose to order basic pasta dishes. My steak and ale pie with new potato and a (very small) portion of veg was one of the best I have ever eaten. Thick gravy, tender meat, good short crust pastry and huge! My son had half a chicken which was cooked very well but why do restaurants that serve excellent food still serve stringy "fast food" type fries. All in all a very good meal in a nice restaurant .......would highly recommend,

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Attentive staff, good food at a fair price. We only used restaurant because our first choice was closed on Tuesdays. It turned out to be a great choice.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Being on holiday means trying the local eateries, but one I wouldn't try again is Hyltons, in Bowness-in-Windermere. We went for an early dinner to avoid the crowds later, and they must have had a busy daytime service because the carpets around our table were in desperate need of a good vacuum.
While I can understand waiting staff being tired after a day's work (particularly in the summer heat), there is no excuse for disinterested, lack-luster service, which is precisely what greeted us.
I ordered a steak (a rare treat for me as I am not a great red meat fan), and my husband ordered a gammon steak, both with French fries and all the trimmings.
I sincerely hoped that after a very long 45-min wait during which we had no choice but to listen to Radio One blasting out across the dining room, the food was going to be worth it. However it only just hit the mark.
The presentation was nice - on wooden board with little baskets for the chips - but the chips were cold. The steak, to be fair, was done to perfection (medium rare for me). And while the meat was rested well, it was only just above being too cold for comfort. My husband's gammon was a lot warmer and was very tasty.
On the whole, Hyltons should bear in mind there's a lot of very good restaurants in Bowness, and given that a couple of fellow dinners left most of their meal, I don't think the day we tried it was a good one for them.
We won't be returning, which is a shame because the quality of the meat was actually very good. But the service was totally inadequate and I'm sorry but I can't forgive that in this day and age.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

When I ate here I was expecting an average experience as the restaurant has a distinctively average feel about it upon arrival. Think Harvester / Toby Carvery for example. However it was suprisingly good. The food was of a high standard and well presented, our waitress was excellent despite being clearly over worked, the prices are reasonably and perhaps most importantly the girls on our table thought their raspberry bellinis were delightful.

Go later in the evening if you prefer venues without families.

Would happily recommended this restaurant to anyone and would definitely return.