Review of The Old Pump House

The Old Pump House
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Old Pump House is a small well established coffee shop, we specialise in good coffee, fantastic home made cakes, sandwiches etc. We also have fresh fruit frozen yoghurts, icecream, icecream milkshakes,smoothies and lots lots more. Come and see for yourself.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just returned from a weekend visit to the Lakes.

No visit would be complete without a cup of tea and generous slice of home made cake and the Pump House definitely delivered.

I am at a loss as to understand previous negative reviews on this establishment?

The tea and cake were top notch and it was definitely service with a smile!

We will most certainly be returning on our next visit.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Roddy G

• Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A cafe which doesn't seem to like it's customers”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We visited about 4 pm on a glorious day and should have realised that there was something wrong when there was only one other group of three there. Talk about Rude and Ruder!!! 2 staff, an older woman and a woman with a foreign accent in attendance. No how are you doing? No hello, De nada, zilch, just blank stares. My sister ordered tea for two and asked if they took debit cards. A straight and short NO we don't do that!!! My turn next, very little food in the fridge and no offer to make a sandwich. OK I will just have a diet Tango, No, we don't do that. OK a normal one then please. "It's in the fridge" was the sharp reply. Got the drink was asked for the money, not a please or thank you in sight. Then, horror of horrors I asked for a glass and had a plastic cup plonked down without a word. And then I really put the cat among the pigeons and asked for some ice and in one voice they said "We don't do that" by which time we had started to giggle which resulted in more frosty stares. As we set the tea cups down I noticed that there were brown stains or marks inside one of the cups so went back inside to ask for a new cup. I was pleasant about it with a please and a smile but got a snarling, "That's not a dirty cup it's in the glaze" me: "I would like a new cup though please" Again it was repeated about the glaze in one voice, with an echo from the accented woman. The cup was then snatched from my hand a new cup grudgingly handed over

We really should have walked away from this place but two of the three of us use sticks and it was a roasting hot day we stayed. New Yorkers have a reputation for rudeness, but these two beat New Yorkers hands down. We sat down outside to drink our drinks and before we knew it, the younger woman was outside with a brush and was putting chairs on tables to give us the hint to go. This was at about 4.30 pm and the area was still busy. They obviously feel that customers get in the way of their day, I would have thought that at peak holiday times they would have jumped at the chance to stay open a little later to make a little more profit.

I suspect that these two don't get much repeat business. I for one will avoid the place next time I go to Bowness because of it's aggressive and very rude staff

• Visited July 2013
6 Thank roaming_abroad
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Average cafe in an average spot. Lake view is limited so offers no real scenic advantage. Average tea. Scone was nice though. Teacake was ok.

Completely average. There are far better options in the area.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MJB1986
randalstown
“Horrific”
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

No baby changing!!!
To get to the toilet which was horrible, dirty and dinghy you had to go outside.
Nothing home made. Ice cream out of a machine.
They even charge 60p for a mug of hot water!!
A complete no no ..... Never again!!! Wish I would of walked out.
My husband had to go back to car to change my baby!!! What an insult not to have baby changing.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank weegemm
Wales
“The most miserable unwelcoming staff ever”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This cafe must have THE most miserable and unwelcoming staff in Windermere. Tall dark haired foreign accented woman with a love of scarves and a short blonde on duty the day we went . No 'Hello' upon entering , just completely blank stares from the two of them , ' Grumpy and Grumpier'. When you enter a Cafe you wonder if it's self or waitress service and so look a bit unsure and their stares did nothing to help. Actually made me feel quite uncomfortable. If it hadn't been as miserable outside ( Pouring down) as it was inside i'd have turned and walked straight back out . As we were eating the miserable dark haired stomped about clearing up plates and jumped up and down on crisp boxes to flatten them making everyone who wasn't facing her jump in their seats . Quite funny that was. Anyway , they don't deserve to be in business and i bet none of the locals go there , they only manage to stay open with tourist business i expect , and the great location right next to the Lake is a massive plus for them .

Visited May 2013