“Amazing food and great service”
Review of Jackson's Bistro

Jackson's Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Visited one evening after walking past earlier that day and like the look of the menu. It was only myself and my boyfriend and we had some great service, amazing food and choice of wine.

I'd definately recommend this place if you're after something a little bit special and not on a tight budget.

Reviewed November 28, 2010

We went to Jackson Bistro on a Saturday night 27th November, hadn't booked but they managed to fit us in literally as it is a bit small, Service was fine on the night despite some of the other reviews comments, The food was very good but the portions were far too small, ok for my wife being a small eater but not for me, We both had the 3 course special and choose the sirlion steak which was very nice but it only came with a small bowl of vegetables i was still expecting some potatoes to come but when i tipped the bowl out there were only two new potatoes at the bottom, i then realised that was it.! There was also a £3.00 supplement on the sirlion steak for the Daine sauce on the £15.95 three course menu so at £18.95 didn't seem value for money considering the portion sizes.

Reviewed November 27, 2010

I went this restaurant with my husband and two friends and had a had great night, the staff could not of been more helpful and the food was Devinne and the price was very reasonable.

If you are on this site looking for something that is a cut above the rest (we have tried most) then this is the one for you, we went on a Monday night and asked for the last table available, we decided on 9pm and we thought we may be rushed through but the staff made us so welcome we couldnt of been more comfortable.

Reviewed November 13, 2010

Booked a table for 6 over the phone and initially the staff on the phone accommodated us well and said they could fit us in. The restaurant however on arrival was overbooked meaning 6 had to sit around a table for 4 pushed against a wall in the corner. This made for uncomfortable eating in a restaurant that was as hot as the sun.

We all ordered from the offer menu which is £15.95 for 3 courses, great value with a supplement for sirloin steak. On ordering the steak however it was ordered medium rare x 2 and a medium x 1.
2 came out medium the other medium rare. Simple to cook however, soooo wrong, the sauce was also weak! They were cheap steaks with small portions of veg and potato. To top them off they also got the wine order wrong, when the waitress was corrected she gave a look to say “well it was your fault!”

The service we received was rude, abrupt and unprofessional. We were not asking for silver service, but maybe a service with a smile or some courtesy, no staff introduced themselves nor greeted us with a smile. It was a long time for our plates to be cleared and being seated downstairs, we were often left on our own and could not find a waitress when we even wanted to pay the bill.

On our way out of the restaurant, my girlfriend walked past two of the waitresses, she was not thanked or told good night like you usually would expect. Instead one of the waitresses gave her look that I can only describe as looking at something you have on the bottom of your shoe. My girlfriend was quite shocked by this and asked the waitress if she had a problem, the waitress looked away and refused to look at her. Then I also asked the same waitress if there was a problem as she had continued to look at my girlfriend as she walked up the stairs. The waitress would not look at me and it was the waitress standing next to her, who shook her head, to say there was no issue!

As a couple we eat out locally and across the world. I have never experienced a service attitude like this before. I think the owner or manager should concentrate on service rather than neglect this and pack people in like cattle!

We actually left a tip out of politeness; I really wish we had gone back now and removed it from the bill!!!

1  Thank M00N1E
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We go to the Lake District at least twice a year and our holiday would not be complete without a visit to this restaurant. My husband always has the Jacksons Special Fillet and says it is the best steak he has ever had. It never fails!! I particularly enjoy the Salmon and Sea bass Duet which once again this week was absolutely delicious. All the food is beautifully presented as well as tasting great. To complete our meal we had Sticky Toffee Pudding which was indulgent, but irresistible. If you enjoy good food in pleasant surroundings, good service and value for money then this is the place for you.