“Waitress let the place down”
Review of Jackson's Bistro

Jackson's Bistro
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 18, 2014

After reading the reviews and coming to bowness regularly without ever trying jacksons we decided to visit. The waiter was excellent and his customer 1st class. Everything seemed to going well until our main course arrived. We ordered 2 rare fillet steaks with fries. We were told the fillets were 10 ounce steaks but when arrived they were only 6 ounce steaks. Even though we asked for 2 rare steaks one was much smaller and cooked medium. We also asked for fries which didn't arrive. We sat waiting expecting the waitress to come back and ask if everything was ok and if we needed anything else or sauces. After 5 minutes of trying to get her attention (she was a foreign waitress with terrible attitude) I asked where our fries were and if we could have vinegar and ketchup. She abruptly said they were coming and when I turned away she threw her arms up and pulled a face to her friend. We continued to wait for sauce, vinegar and fries which still didn't arrive. I then got up to find the sauce and vinegar myself and ask for the fries again. The waitress just watched me do this after I asked her to bring them. If I hadn't of asked we would not have had the condiments or fries. After ten minutes the fries arrived but we had eaten most of our main. Still she never apologised. Once we finished the meals the waiter was very apologetic about the fries not arriving. His customer service was excellent and dealt with the mistake very well but for a business to employ this waitress who didn't care and just stood behind the counter moaning to her friend when asked for things is the reason I'm marking this place down. We were sat beside her serving counter and had to listen and watch her pull faces every time a customer asked for something. She is in the wrong job and ruining what could be a lovely restaurant and her bringing the rest of the team down who were working so hard to do a good job. When you order 2 rare steaks with fries you expect this to be served instead we had a medium steak with no fries and waited for 10 minutes when asked for fries and was served by a very rude foreign waitress. If this waitress was not working there i would go back and give it another try as one steak was excellent.

1  Thank Andins2013
There are newer reviews for Jackson's Bistro

Reviewed January 15, 2014

With many of the Bowness restaurants closed for the winter break we selected Jacksons Bistro on our first evening. We had their 2 course menu at £12.95 and found the quality and presentation to be very good - in fact excellent value for money. It was noticable that whilst many other establishments were semi-deserted, there was hardly a spare table at JB's.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The kitchen was short staffed on our visit and this impacted on the speed of service.When it did arrive the food was tasty and enjoyable and the table d'hote menu offered good value.The staff were friendly,apologetic and did their best-but the delays did mar our enjoyment of the meal,not least because we made a long round trip on a wet,dark night to visit Jackson's ! On a different day I could imagine the bistro to be a good place for lunch or for dinner with a group of friends.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I thought I would visit Jackson's for the first time in about 2 years to surprise my girlfriend for a romantic meal away. Upon entering the restaurant I was greeted by a lady and told her I had phoned in advance to book a table for 2 and she looked at me blankly. I explained again to which she replied in broken English "yes". We sat down and next to the window and immediately felt cold so I asked to move. I don't think the heating was on at all! After ordering drinks we checked out out the menu and both decided what we were going to have, about 10 minutes passed and we eventually caught the ladies eye who seemed to be just having a joke and laugh with her fellow co-worker (the co-worker seemed to be doing some kind of college work behind the counter, that's what it looked like when I walked past to go to the toilet anyway). We ordered and waited in excitement... Our starters came out. I ordered the king prawns in garlic and chilli and the girlfriend ordered the Mussel's. The Mussel's were good to be fair but the king prawns were so well cooked they were actually chewy. Upon looking at them more closely they seemed to have been deep fried... they were also on a bed of salad which had brown leaves. BAD. Our main meals to be fair were cooked well, no fault there. As soon as we had finished the plates were collected and we were asked if we wanted desert or coffee, literally a minute after we had finished. Isn't it good etiquette to wait for a few minutes before asking? Not ramming it straight down after finishing mains. This is where I just couldn't be bothered any more. It's really sad that Jackson's has gone downhill, it used to be great. A warm welcome, a warm restaurant, friendly staff and excellent food. Please bring it back!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had a excellent meal as usual ,staff are always very helpfull we go to this restaurant quite frequently as we find it very friendly and never had a bad meal .The prices were the same on new years eve as any other night. We have always found Andrew and his staff very professional and nothing is to much trouble