“lovely ,busy place”

Balance Of Bowness
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual cafe restaurant open from 12 noon for lunches life bites and our full al a carte menu a lake district cafe restaurant
Reviewed April 21, 2014

food varied, value for money, all cooked fresh, varied menu day and evening, pleasant staff.clean and fresh.

shrill29, Owner at Balance Of Bowness, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed your meal at fat olives

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We wanted a quick meal on Saturday night in between acts at the Rock the Blues festival and Fat Olives was the nearest! The service was friendly, there was a good selection of food to choose from on the menu and the food we had was pretty tasty (although the portions were slightly on the small side)

One negative: combined male/female toilets!! I did notice a sign on the wall saying they were being refurbished so hope they have the good sense to have one for each!

Thank you for your comments, I am glad you enjoyed your meal.
We have found that the unisex toilets are the best solution to the perrenial problem of queuing for the ladies toilets. We have no intention of changing this, and most people dont seem to have a problem with it. We find most men are perfectly house trained these days.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I both chose the butternut squash and goats cheese cannelloni with a side of home made chips and a jug of home made lemonade.

I insisted on finishing the cannelloni even though I was full part way through because it was so lovely. We waited a while before ordering dessert and didn't feel pressured to hurry.

The sorbet was lovely and the lattes we had to finish the meal were exceptional.

The service throughout the meal was excellent, even towards the end when they got busy.

I want to pick up this restaurant and move it to Manchester so I can visit it every week.

Thank you very much for your kind comments. So glad you enjoyed your meal.

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I ate here two years ago and felt that I had had one of the best meals out ever, so my expectations were very high.

We ordered a sharing platter to start that included hummus, cured meats and olives. It was beautiful and there was plenty of everything to feed me, my wife and our five year old son.

Things went a little down hill with the main courses. I had hake which was perfectly cooked and served with some roasted vine cherry tomatoes and roast potatoes but no other veg - it looked a little sparse.

My wife had pot roasted belly pork. Unfortunately the pork was tough and the fat hadn't been crisped up and as such was quite unappetising.

My son had steak and chips and whilst the chips were gorgeous the steak was very tough and had to be chopped into tiny pieces. Having said that it was very tasty.

So it was a bit hit-and-miss but expensive enough that everything should have been perfect. It was such a shame because on our previous visit to Bowness, this was or favourite restaurant.

Thank you for your comments which we have taken on board. Sorry you were disappointed with your meal.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Wide selection on the menu which suited even the picky eater with us. Lovely sharing starter with enough for three for us. Fresh and well presented mains with excellent portion sizes. House wine was lovely too.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed your meal