“Worth a visit”

Balance Of Bowness
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Balance restaurant in Bowness brings together the best of traditional dining with fresh ideas and a smart interior. The tables are beautifully set with linen and candles, the music is soft and ambient, and the atmosphere is calm and relaxed. All of this sets the stage for the food, which celebrates the best Lake District ingredients alongside hand-picked flavours from around the globe.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited during the recent heatwave and it was very hot in the restaurant.All seats outside were as taken.We had the fixed price menu which was two courses plus wine and it was good value for money.Both my husband and I had the mushrooms in creamy Stilton sauce,excellent flavours but a little on the watery side.It was served with bread to mop up the sauce,it tasted delicious.We both had the homemade fishcakes,again excellent flavours and cooked perfectly.These were served with salad and chips.The chips were poor,frozen rubbish.It's a shame they don't serve proper homemade chips as well.The service was good,overall worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have eaten here several times and always had a first class experience! Friendly waiting on staff who are happy to accommodate for all needs, whilst the food I have had is delicious, very good value for money! Lots of choices but I usually go with the special boards which have some interesting food like mussel popcorn! A must go for anyone in the area

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were very disappointed by our visit to this restaurant. We'd had a bad experience there before with service a few years ago but after reading some good reviews decided to give it another go. when we arrived we were seated and had to wait for along time before we even ordered our drinks. My husband ordered a large Peroni which was advertised as 660ml bottle for £6.25. I was sitting close to the bar and watched the waitress pour it into a glass, I noticed some appeared to still be in the bottle when she placed it behind the bar. she brought the glass but not the bottle to the table. After a while we noticed the glass he had been given was a pint glass which is round 100ml short. when we questioned the waitress she seemed shifty as if this was a thing they did and said the remaining beer in the bottle must have been "froth". I believe this is against the law. The waitress then went to another member of staff, in which they had a very quiet conversation whilst staring at us. We were then told we would only have to pay half price for the drink. How many times have they done this??

1  Thank reviewer1236
shrill29, Owner at Balance Of Bowness, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

First of all can I apologise again for the mistake made by our waitress. The situation is that we normally purchase our large peroni in 500ml bottles and she forgot to give you the end of the bottle. By the time you brought it to our attention the end of the bottle had been thrown away. Obviously she consulted with the assistant manager about the best way to deal with the problem. They apologised at the time and only charged you for a small bottle. It was an honest mistake which we feel we corrected at the time. I am sorry this error seemed to spoil your evening as you made no comment about the meal you had but feel that we did our best to correct the mistake at the time.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Attended with my family (2+2). Very hot night but the advertised air con had either packed in or couldn't cope.
I loved the wide choice from the menu especially the children's options, not just your usual sausage and chips. Both my boys had mussels and loved them.
The bruchetta to share was okay but not anything special. My wife's main course wasn't right which was dealt with promptly and their dealing with it was a positive experience unlike most other restaurants, well done. My main of mussels were excellent and came with nice chunky bread, chips and a garlic dip. Didn't have any dessert but the choice looked nice. Overall a very good restaurant. It was very busy but the service was excellent, would thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very tasty fishcakes and lovely homemade chicken and chorizo pate. Good choice of dishes in the fix price menu. Had a 2 course meal for £16 including wine. Very generous portions and lovely staff. Worth a visit!