My husband and I spent a Friday and Saturday night at Hawkrigg Guest House as a "mini honey moon". We booked the room the day before and got the last one available which was the four poster room with the lake views.
The rooms are clean and spacious enough and the view of the lake from this room truly makes the room!
No bath, only walk-in shower, but this was not a problem for us at all.
Greeted by the owner on arrival and shown to our room, unfortunately there was a problem with the plumbing so the toilet would not flush. They said that the plumber had promised to be there earlier but was very late. They let us use the bathroom in room number 2 which was fine by us, and I got to see this room also. OK, so the bed does not face the window in this room, but it looked lovely nontheless.
I would have liked Emma, the owner to have given us a bit more information about what to do and where to go, especially as she seemed to be aged the same as my husband and I (we are 33 and 31 respectively), but her introduction was rather brief in my opinion. I don't know whether everyone gets seen on check in, as a couple of times we saw a room key with a "Sorry we are out but welcome to our hotel" note left by the entrance door.
On a very plus point, Emma and her partner gave us a lift from the ferry on Saturday night back to the guest house which was a blessing as we would have otherwise had a walk up hill of almost a mile in the pitch black (we were in the Lake District for relaxation, not walking!). That was kind and very appreciated.
The breakfast was very fresh and absolutely perfect. This was served by Emma's mother on both days and she was an absolutely lovely lady who enjoyed chatting to all the guests.
Finally, enjoyed having a glass of wine in their garden area which is furnished with wooden benches, and also has a children's play area. This was a great facility as far as we were concerned.
All in all, I would recommend this guest house if you want to be away from the main towns for the peace and quiet, but still close enough to get there easily. It was peace and quiet and relaxation that we were after, and we got just that. I would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hawkrigg Guest House is a beautiful family run guest house situated on a hill over looking lake Windermere.It has 3 rooms with fantastic views and all are en-suite. It is in the middle of the lake District national park, which gives you easy access to everything the lake District has to offer. There are many Pubs and Restaurants nearby, in the villages of Bowness, Windermere, Hawkshead, Coniston and Ambleside. It is also pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Hawkrigg Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hawkrigg Guest House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- Hawkrigg Guest House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District