“White House restuarant”

The White House Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Myself and my family have just finished a truly awful meal in the White House restuarant . It took over 45 mins fr any food to arrive , was advised by the waitress that they had no bread . Restuarant was very quiet so no idea why food took so long , our 4 year old was running out of steam . Food was average at best , steak pie similar to eating dog meat ! Waitress service poor , place smelled of wet dogs and in summary an extremely poor experience ..... Avoid and don't waste your money ! No one available when we went to chase up our food , eventually found the waitress chopping up veg in the kitchen ! Tomato sauce was watered down , very very poor .

1  Thank Gillian R
There are newer reviews for The White House Restaurant

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Ordered off the 3 courses for £18.95 (however nearly everything had an additional supplemental charge attached), me and my husband both ordered sirloin steaks with an additional charge of £4 each, only to be told after 15 minutes that there was only 1 left (we had booked a table in the not very busy restaurant for 8pm on a Saturday night over bank holiday weekend!). My husband therefore ordered the filet instead and they still told us they would charge us the £6 additional charge on that steak, even thought obviously it was not our fault they didn't have the other steak.
After this, when the steaks finally came I had ordered my sirloin medium rare, but it was grey and more well done. I couldn't eat it as obviously it was not what I had ordered.
I said I would have a filet instead, but they wanted to still charge me extra to order that.
Then they didn't have any filet, I tried to order the lamb, they didn't have that, or the mussels.
By this point my husband had nearly finished his meal when they finally brought out some sort of disgusting pasta dish for me instead.
They did bring us a bottle of wine to apologise, but the waitress just kept telling us that they "shared a kitchen".
I think she clearly did not understand that this was clearly not our fault and that they need to be more prepared for custom they know they are getting on a Saturday night, and also should not charge customers for upgrades for food they are basically forced to order when they don't have anything else.
Do not go to this restaurant, it was terrible.

1  Thank LauraBC85
Reviewed September 2, 2013

had the squid, crayfish linguini, steak and ale pie and steak (fillet and sirloin) all fab steak was especially lovely!!!! and the choc pud is to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

After having placed an order for drinks, the waitress then told us that two of the items on the menu weren't available, unfortunately what we would have wished to order. When we later tried to order other items, we were told that they too weren't available. If we had been told about the items that weren't available before we ordered drinks, we would seriously have considered going elsewhere.
Although we weren't taking the three course menu at £18.95, on looking we saw that this was quite deceptive as to get a decent range of choice you would have to pay supplements. The wine list, although reasonable priced, is not extensive.
The steak, when it arrived, was good, although not outstanding. The sauce for my chicken was a disappointment for the price.
When reserving, make sure you don't get a table with the ladder back chairs, they are very uncomfortable. Ask for the leather chairs. The decor is light and modern. The ambiance is also rather lacking when the window looks out onto a courtyard with garden furniture that has seen distinctly better days and loud music blaring into it. This establishment can't seem to identify if it is a hotel, a pub or a restaurant. They would perhaps benefit from choosing an identity and concentrating on that. They could do well by becoming a tapas bar.
When my husband on leaving complained about so may items being off, he was told, as if that excused everything, with no apologies, that they share a kitchen with the steak house next door. Hence them being continuing to have steaks on the menu.
I couldn't recommend this restaurant. We should have been warned when we went in to make a reservation for a Bank Holiday Sunday and by lunch time they had so few names on their reservation book.

1  Thank Jay F
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in the hotel too and decided to try the restaurant on our 2nd night stay, the offer was £18.95 for 3 course meal inc bottle of wine. It was absolutely worth it, the steak a real must, we have never tasted fillet steak like it!!

1  Thank emma b