Cranleigh Boutique
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
View Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Pool
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Restaurant
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
1,766 results
All reviewsluxury roommood lightingair spa bathsanctuary suiteescape suitelip balmhideout houserose petalstortechampagne on iceteddy bearmy partneripod dockunderfloor heatingon arrivaleggs benedictlake cruise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend in suite 10 two weeks ago and have to say it was absolute luxury, beautiful room, spa bath with TV, teddy bear, roses, petals on the bed, champagne, mini bar (reasonably priced). The lades on reception were very accommodating and friendly we had no bottle opener in the room and the lady came round in the rain to bring us one.

The room was gorgeous, very clean definately unique and a rare experience. The lounge area was very cosy and inviting and we were offered a glass of prosecco before we left for our evening out. The boutique is literally a minutes walk from everything perfect location.

The breakfast in the morning was superb and the waiters and waitresses were very attentive and friendly but not overbearing.

Lovely stay and hope to return at some point this year if you have the chance to stay here take it as you will love it. Thank you Cranleigh for a fantastic stay.

Lynsay and Janine - Bolton

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Emma D, Guest Relations Manager at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thanks Lynsay and Janine from Bolton! We’re really glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. You make the hotel sound really warm and inviting which is great for us to hear. We hope to welcome you back later in the year too. It’s always lovely when we know we have attracted a new repeat customer (we know we have done our job right in the first instance), hope to see you both soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My boyfriend and I returned today after a 2 night stay at the cranleigh including a bottle of procecco and lake cruise. After a disruptive and delayed train journey I walked into our room and thought wow! That journey was worth it.
The decor was gorgeous and stylish, the Jacuzzi bath with plasma tv was amazing. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've overslept in!
The staff were very welcoming and helpful with local information. The reception is fab with comfy leather sofas and an open fire. It's perfectly located only a short walk from all the restaurants, bars,shops and of course the lake! I recommend Jackson's bistros fab seafood if you like that or steak. The hotel breakfast was fantastic especially the eggs Benedict and pastry selection.
For a time of luxury as our short break I feel the cranleigh was worth the expenditure. We will definitely be back to the lake district soon!
My only negative would be that from room number 5 you can hear the clatter of the breakfast being made and staff chatter as there is no door at the top of the staircase there.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time out to review the hotel. We see you have been taking advantage of one our offers, we’re glad you had a lovely relaxing time despite your disruptive journey to us. Thanks for stating ‘I feel the Cranleigh was worth the expenditure’ and we’re sorry about the clatter downstairs at breakfast time. I’ve made the hotel manager aware about this. It’s difficult as this area is used to make our service in the restaurant more efficient during the breakfast hours but we will try our hardest to minimise the noise within this area more. We hope to welcome you back to the Cranleigh and fingers crossed you had a better journey home than to us.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed for a weekend for my partners 40th and as I do agree with a few of the negative points made my Michael G, I do also agree with his points that the place is well designed and things really have been thought about, which is great! We stayed in the Escape Suite and the whole room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and well laid out, I too found that the iPod dock didn't take the new iPhone 5 so I called reception and they had an adaptor round to the door within seconds!! Great customer service!! We also had trouble that night with the tv in the bedroom but I mentioned this to the receptionist on our way out on Saturday morning and by the time we'd returned on Saturday afternoon this was sorted out too, again great customer service, but then again when your paying nearly £300 a night for bed and breakfast I would expect nothing short of this!! All in all the hotel is perfectly placed and all the staff were more than helpful whenever I asked anything from them, I would recommend, but it's a pricey stay!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your stay in the Escape Suite. When it comes to technology in general these days, things don’t always run as smoothly as we’d all hope, do they? Or they don’t tend for me anyway – big technophobe!
We’re glad that despite the issues you faced we managed to resolve them smoothly and quickly for you. The reception team are only ever a phone call away and they will honestly do their utmost to rectify any situation should a problem arise and we’re happy that this was noticed by you. Thanks in advance for your recommendations. We hope to welcome you back sometime soon.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Just back from the Cranleigh staying in ‘The Hideout’ from 7th February till the 9th, 2014. And although this place is definitely what everyone is saying it is, luxurious, quirky and romantic, it, in our opinion makes some fatal errors in livening up to its rather expensive price tag.
Ok first things first, the good points, of which there are many.
The hideout is decorated from top to bottom in extremely chic, artistic and mood setting décor, from the wall coverings to the mood setting lights to the cushions and throws that give every room its own character and feel.
The best of the best is most definitely the ‘Wellness Spa room’, which although looks to be a converted garage deserves praise for whom ever designed and implemented its transformation. From the massive air spa bath to the huge 65” hidden TV to the complimentary cocktail bar, this room really does what it says on the tin and makes the whole experience worthwhile.
The middle floor comprises of an extremely small toilet and bathroom and a very well decorated bedroom, although the four poster bed in my opinion should have some kind of canopy or veils as it is just a chrome frame which I didn’t personally like (just a matter of taste though am sure many others will love it).
Upstairs is great with more mood lighting, a well equipped kitchen an extremely comfy L-Shaped couch with another big screen TV, Blu ray player, Halogen flame effect fire and a funky coffee table that pulls open to reveal lots of magazines etc.
All in all extremely good, unique, quirky and a lovely experience for my wife’s special birthday.
Ok negatives, and this is where everyone reading says “ohh he is just being picky” or “some people will moan about anything” but to be fair for a hotel that is allegedly 5 Star and costs £225 per night MORE than an executive room in the Hilton Waldorf in London, £525 per night. Then you need to live up to that price tag.
Check in was pleasant enough by an extremely friendly member of staff who hands you a map and explains how you drive to the hideout, I have a good sense of direction and struggled finding the place mainly because even when you drive past it is not what you are expecting, if there were pictures of the outside on trip advisor it might put you off, hence I have not posted any as inside more than makes up for it.
The parking slot you get is tiny and needs a competent driver to park but after many inching backwards and forwards we were docked, wish we had emptied the boot first though as once parked its almost impossible, I must add if you have a small car then this would not be a problem.
Ok we wandered round and really did get the WOW factor; it is amazing, especially when you first get there. On getting to grips with everything we found as all 3 levels had different equipment it was like getting to grips with a different remote controls for every room, extremely frustrating and annoying after a while. The claims that everything is controlled by the ipad are exaggerated as for what we could see it was only the lights, the sonos and the Apple TV downstairs.
Ok if you are wanting to use your own music etc then I hope you have an old Phone as all of the rooms have Ipod Docks but all are for the old 30pin Apple connectors which means anything over an iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or iPod Touch, that uses a lightening cable are useless (I had downloaded loads of music for the weekend but was a waste of time).
10.30 that night it started to get very chilly (it was February and the weather was awful), we could not find any heating controls at all and all of the radiators were stone cold. A chilly night was in store but by the morning the radiators were back on and it was not till later that we were informed that the heating was on a timer, the controls were locked away and they sent someone round to turn the timer off. One night out of our two was already gone though and this really had me confused. Apparently it is because some guests have complained about being too hot. However if it is left on you can turn the radiator off and it cools down, if its turned off and the controls are locked away…its off…this excuse didn’t make any sense and I put it down to penny pinching (which at £525 a night is a bit cheeky).
Breakfast, a continental is left in the hideout, however, one of each cereal sachets? One of each? So if you and your wife both like Alpen, sorry one of you chose again…really? Penny pinching again I am afraid. You can of course go up to the hotel and enjoy a cooked breakfast (which is fantastic by the way) but unfortunately there only a handful of parking spaces at the hotel, at no time in our stay was one of them free and anywhere near the hotel as Bowness seems to be the home of the double yellow line. In the summer this is probably not a problem as it would be a nice 10-minute stroll to breakfast. In the winter and with ice cold pouring rain as it was for the entire length of our stay, you arrive for breakfast cold, wet and fed up….5 Star…..£525 a night??
As I have already mentioned the breakfast is extremely nice, the service however, not so I am afraid, not showed to a table, which resulting in us sitting down as someone’s table who was off getting fruit juice, how were we to know. The room is tiny for breakfast and involved lots of sorry and excuse me’s whenever pulling chairs out etc. We waited about 10 minutes sat down before anyone approached us then a further 10 minutes for our Coffee to arrive and all in all 45 minutes to get our breakfast. Now all of this in a Hotel not claiming to be top of the tree…fair enough but once again 5 Star? £525 per night? To top it off on both mornings we asked for some more toast (the one they bring you has 3 slices in it) and both mornings two different girls serving came back saying “Here is your EXTRA toast” and the toast rack was smaller (only 2 slices) really? Its about 10p a slice!
Ok last one….
The toilet back at the hideout is bizarre, extremely close to the wall which houses a heated towel rail so to enable you to use this toilet you almost have to go side saddle, the seat is very round , almost although they know this issue and have fitted the round seat to enable you to sit at an angle, here’s the twist the toilet roll is housed on the wall behind your left shoulder, so you have to perform some insane shoulder dislocating exercise because your side saddle on the toilet which if nothing else had us in fits of laughter the first day, second day the funny side had worn off!
OK all in all as a one off this place is great if not extremely over priced, the owners have displayed a no expense spared attitude in some aspects of the Hideout but some of the penny pinching housekeeping throws a spanner in the works.
As a suggestion if the hideout can not have reserved parking for breakfast I would stick the ingredients in the fridge to enable the guests to cook it themselves as turning up soaking wet and freezing cold does not start the day on a good footing. Having paid for what is undoubtedly the best seat in the house at no point did I feel like I was sat in it.
Also adaptors for the ipod docks, come on guys their only £25 each.
Overall experience was very good but claims of being the best in my opinion are way off the mark.

5  Thank Michael G
hudson101, General Manager at Cranleigh Boutique, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to post a review about your stay at the Hideout. We are pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay and sorry that the weather wasn't very good for you, although I don't think any area of the country has escaped the rain this winter.
We take all of our comments seriously and take on board all feedback given.
We appreciate your positive feedback with regards to the decor, design and facilities within the Hideout. On the middle floor we do have a small bathroom but we took the decision this didn't need to be any bigger due to the huge jacuzzi bath and rainfall shower downstairs.
We have an allocated parking space at the rear of the property and does fit most cars. From the outside it is a 3 storey town house in the centre of the village with neighbouring properties, the map we give details the position of the house and how to get there within a 2 min drive from the Cranleigh, sorry that you found this confusing.
The Ipad controls the lighting, sound, tv, internet etc downstairs as this was a newly refurbished area of the Hideout house. Unfortunately this does not control lighting, tv etc in other areas.
You have mentioned that you couldn't use the ipod docking station because you have a lightning connection (iphone 5 connection). We have adapters that can be borrowed from reception and this could have been requested at any time and we would have delivered this to you but we were unaware of this problem. Our reception team are available from 8am to 11pm each day in case of any problems, questions or requests you may have and this is explained on check in and within the letter you received in the Hideout.
In connection with the heating I am sorry that you found this too cold at some points of your stay, we have tried to regulate this as much as we can as previous guests have been too warm and is certainly not a penny pinching exercise. I am glad we could alter this for you after you had notified us and hope that the rest of the weekend was at a suitable ambient temperature for you.
The continental breakfast option that is provided in the Hideout includes 5 different cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, milk, orange juice, eggs, cheese, continental meats, butter, bread, croissants and a selection of jams. We have tried to include everything possible and take note of your comment that we only provide 1 of each cereal. This has now been changed. Unfortunately at weekends we are normally very busy at the Cranleigh Boutique so parking on site can be difficult but we do have another car park 1 min walk away which we could have directed you to if we had known you had difficulty parking when coming for a cooked breakfast at the Cranleigh. Breakfast is served between 8.30am and 10.30am at weekends and we have found that this is a suitable time to accommodate all of our guests for breakfast.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and hope you return to the Lake District again soon.
Emma Johnson, Manager

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Just spent a night at the hideout house with my wife and will definitely recommend it

Before booking I did think it was a little pricey for a mid week night but going off the pictures I decided to pay it . When we first arrived outside I was a little worried as it doesn't look much from the outside but as soon as you open the front door you relise your in a one off hotel room, and it just gets better when you walk down stairs to the lower lounge to be greet buy a huge jacuzzi bath cinema size tv and a Bar stacked with complimentary beers wine spirts soft drinks cockails and snacks. The upstairs middle level has a well decorated bedroom with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in !!!! The top floor has a large kitchen again stocked with bread cheese chocolate etc and a living area with large corner sofa, tv and sound system

We spent most of our time in the lower lounge listening to our favorite music which is all controlled the the iPad before watching a movie in the jacuzzi
Pure luxury and relaxation and worth every penny it won't be the last time we are there

Room Tip: Worth the extra money for hideout house
1  Thank robcass83

Thanks ever so much for your lovely review on the Hideout Boutique. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay. It’s such a different place from outside to inside and I think that’s part of it’s charm as you really feel like your in a different world. We’re glad that you could fully relax and have the luxurious feel to match the price tag “worth every penny” – that’s nice to say. We really look forward to welcoming you back.