“Great value”

Slater's Country Inn
Calver, United Kingdom
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed with friends here- mainly for it's convenient location. However, we were truly impressed by value for money; friendly and welcoming staff; great food; and comfortable rooms. Exceptional value!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Waterford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for one night whilst we were visiting relatives. The staff were all very helpful, and as my wife has difficulty with stairs we were able to have our very excellent breakfast downstairs in the bar restaurant instead of upstairs in the usual area. The accommodation was first class.Very clean, warm and well appointed. I recommend a stay here. It was first class.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Having stayed at Slaters for several months for work (March to August 2012) I can fully recommend this hotel. The staff are friendly, thanks to Julie, Beryl, Suzy, Andy and George to name but a few. The food is exceptional but huge portions, if you are on a diet beware! Good selection of Beers and a nice unhurried service.The menu is varied and there is something for everyone. The rooms are very clean and comfortable with pretty much everything you'd need and its only a rumour Room 11 is haunted! Breakfast is cooked fresh and isnt your buffet nonsense where it dries out for hours.

The only thing to watch is if there is a wedding on during the week as it can be very noisy but thats a rare event. The countryside is lovely and there is little noise at night. I cant fault it really and I've stayed in 5* hotels around the country, for a long stay this is hard to beat especially at the room rate. Thanks guys and I'll see you again sometime. Mike H

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best if you are there a while only because the walls seem thicker and there i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

stopped over night for a wedding,, venue was great food was fantastic , rooms lovely and clean, staff great, location is a bit far away from anywhere else, good pub adjacent to hotel , with good choice of food

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I have just spent 2 nights here to attend my sons graduation at the near by University at Keele, I was on my own and at first felt nervous about checking in and having a meal ect.... with out my husband, but I needn't have worried as the staff were wonderful, they really looked after me, I felt very safe and welcome. The room I was in ( 6) looks over the car park at the rear of the building, I wasn't needing a view as I had checked in here for a bed and a meal not for a 'view' the bed was comfy and the room was cleaned to a high standard. Every meal was superb, at breakfast I was asked if I would like a paper, and could have anything specific I requested, I don't like a full English so was really happy that the chef made me poached eggs and toast, other guests were asking for a vegi breakfast and this was also no trouble. The surroundings are lovely and I would absolutely recommend it 100%

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet mine was perfect number 6, if you want a garden view then its the room opposite...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Castle Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

This was a very pleasant surprise - an ideal break on my way from London to Scotland. The bedrooms are comfortable and very well equipped - both the evening meal and breakfast were excellent - staff were friendly and helpful - excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Went for a meal with work colleagues. Staff were very much in a rush and courses were served very close to one another. When they served the dessert, I didn't get mine. I stayed for 5 minutes waiting for it to arrive but nobody came out of the kitchens to ask if everything was alright with the desserts. I went to the kitchens and they were in darkness. I went to the empty bar (it was 10pm), the barman said everybody had gone home! He offered to "make a me a dessert" but by then my colleagues had finished and were ready for home!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Neil P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Slater's Country Inn? Share your experiences!