“An okay stay, just for one night!”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“An okay stay, just for one night!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night for my boyfriends graduation. On arrival I was surprised to find out I had to pay a £50 charge just in case we damaged something in the room, I was assured this would be payed back to my
account which it was. The room on the face of it was okay, then once you really looked the window didn't open fully, and the room was stiflingly hot! The carpet was worn and had marks all over it, and it all needed a dust! The bed was comfortable enough; and the bathroom was clean. Checkout was easy enough! Its somewhere I would never want to stay again, but it was okay for that one night, but no longer!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Bryony F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel was booked for a night before my graduation, I was in tears from arrival.

The staff member at booking in, although polite was unhelpful, then there was the room,
What can I say that is nice? well...the only thing that was clean was the bed and bedding, which was comfy although the pillows were lumpy.

The room was completely disgusting, the bathroom on opening the door stank of cat pee. The tiles on the floor were loose and two completely smashed to bits. The tiles round the bath were unclean with the previous occupants shower gel (I think, but dubious) splashed across all surfaces not to mention the scaly watermarks down the back of taps/shower, with thick cobwebs across all corners of the bathroom and doorway. The shower was pointless and didn't even get hot, luke-warm was the best I got. You basically had to run about to get wet, I felt dirty even after getting out!
The bathroom skylight was dirty and the extractor fan doesn't work effectively because it is so full of dirt. Although the toilet was clean, the toilet seat moved about on sitting and the toilet roll was not stocked, nearly empty.
The hand sink was dirty, and the hot and cold were the reverse of what was marked on the tap, no hand towels were provided but two bath towels were, that felt like sand paper. The water was NOT safe to drink either, handy though there is a garage with a co-op next door.

The bedroom was just as horrible, the windows were covered in some white cloudy grime, the view was the apex roof at the back of the hotel, all looked horrible. The carpet was seriously wrinkled with a great big pucker that forms a trip hazard. The room generally was dusty (with more cobwebs).
The cups provided with the brewing equipment were also dirty, one having dried milk in the bottom of it, only found once one cup was made. Regardless to say it was poured away and not touched again...I did not dare to stay here for a meal.

Upon leaving we were not even asked how our stay was or if everything was ok. I think they have stopped asking because they know we are being robbed of our money.

I have never stayed in such a horrible place, it is by far the worst hotel I have seen and would never have parted with my cash for it...especially as they wanted a £50 security holding fee via card in case of any damage. LOL.

Room Tip: Not good Don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amy M
Brampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We booked 2 rooms on 18th of june for my daughter's Graduation on the 14/15th july.The wife and i in 1 room and my son in the other.(My daughter was staying at the university). We arrived at the desk where an irrate man cancelled his room because his room had'nt been cleaned from the previous people as there was no cleaner's available nor the manager (the receptionist said he would'nt pick up the phone as he's not interested). Our turn came.There was a booking but only for 1 room. She was suggesting it was our fault until my wife produced proof of the booking on her i-pad. She said it was strange but there was nothing she could do as there was no more room's. My son ended up sleeping on the floor of my daughter's room at the Uni.But here's the twist.A man behind us had the same bother but because he made more noise he got a room which really should have gone to us.People were complainig that their door locks would'nt open even the maid's could'nt get in with pass key's.When we checked out they tried to charge us for 2 room's. Just needed Basil Faulty and Manuel to finish off.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rockhopper2112
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights from the 14th July on a family trip
To Alton towers . En route I decided to read the trip advisor reviews of this hotel - had I read these before I had booked I most certainly wouldn't be stoping here ! On arrival we checked in with ease - the only issue being a 50 pound surcharge needed to be taken for each room on arrival despite the rooms being pre paid . Whilst we were checking in there was a number of guests complaining about rooms not being serviced and one had booked three rooms with only two available ! ( yikes where were we about to stay :( ) The poor receptionist who had only just started with the company was unable to contact any management to help her out and was left to deal with angry guests all by herself .Once we got to our rooms ( we had two booked ) I was actually quite relieved ! The room was basic but tidy and clean white towels and linen was on the bed . For twenty two pounds a night I don't think you could ask for much more . We also had the issue of our key cards not working on the second night - so we went to reception and got it sorted ! There was also a few other people who we're having the same problem . We didn't take the breakfast option so can not comment on the quality however it did smell nice on the way to check out . If you want a basic room in a convinient location with just somewhere to put your head down this is absolutely fine !

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank BEXJS520
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Bet left lo to desire. Room was cold and windows with rust on them. Information does not tell you that there is no lift to upper floor. Staff difficult to find when needed. I requested wake p call. Never happened.
Uckily managed to make it to goal on time. Transpired somebody was trying to wake me up by phone, I was told. But no phones in room.
Next day found rooms not serviced. On inquiring, was told no staff to service rooms.

Good breakfast. Courteous staff when in conversation but manager no available when needed.

Room Tip: No idea considering
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tanzie1952
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the weekend after a day at Alton Towers, as expected when we arrived all we wanted to do was get in to our room and relax. After checking in we had to go up and down stairs (as there are no lifts) to get to our room only to find our key card didn't work (that would not usually bother me but when we were checking in there were several other people returning to the desk to complain about the same thing) after the second time they sent someone to our room to help us open the door. The room was basic as expected of a low price hotel but the floor was badly stained and the toilet appeared to be leaking. Found someone else's hairs on the bed and in the bath. There were no pillow cases on the pillows and the desk was covered in scratches and what appeared to nail varnish.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caitlin S
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Okay it's clear from the reviews, it isn't a 5 star retreat. It was for me a secure bed for 2 nights Friday 11th and sat 12th room 3. If you are looking for a country manor move on, if you are looking for a room with basic amenities this will be fine. The hotel is desperate for an uplift and a team of cleaners for a deep clean but the bedding was clean and bathroom was too. Will I return.. Probably not but it's was okay, I have no drama to report other than sore dancing feet from the wedding I attended in Stoke :-)

Room Tip: It's not disastrous i wouldn't choose for romantic night.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sara B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House

Been to Clayton Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!