“Good location for Alton Towers!”

Clayton Lodge Hotel
Luton, United Kingdom
“Good location for Alton Towers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here the day before Alton Towers as it was an ideal stop off location, without the stress of having to do the driving and theme park all in one day. The reception staff were friendly too. The room is pretty basic, and the view was just of a roof, but realistically it was just a stop off place to stay, we weren't looking for luxury. The hotel does have an Indian restaurant next door, and there is information about it in the lobby, but we decided to drive out and see what was around.
Not even a 10 minute drive away we found a retail park with different food chains, choosing Frankie and Benny's! If you go Sunday to Thursday, they do a two course meal for £10.99, so for those who have families, it's ideal.
If I was going to Alton towers again, I would stay here, it was only a 35minute drive away and there was no morning rush!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The staff are friendly, the breakfast is plentiful, the parking is free. I chose this hotel based on their very reasonable room rates and was pleasantly surprised by the venue as a whole. The rooms could do with a freshening up and the doors take some getting used to but these are not reason enough for me to not want to stay here again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We booked this hotel becuase its close to alton towers... wish i slept in my car! Room was filthy handles hanging of the cupboard doors shower curtain pole falls on your head when in the shower and room is to hot no ac! One member of staff does three jobs ie recepiton bar man and porter! STAY AWAY ITS CHEAP FOR A REASON

• Stayed August 2013
Kinloss
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Travelling from Northern Scotland to Devon, I wanted to find a Hotel to break the journey and chose this Hotel based on what I considered to be best value for money. The Hotel is just about 1 and a half miles off Junction 15 of the M6 and very easy to find.
There is ample parking which is free and upon arrival I was welcomed by friendly and attentive reception staff. The rooms are adequate and comfortable and you can be assured of a comfortable night's sleep. The Bar is if of a very pleasant design with very comfortable seating. (Happy hour is between 5 and 8 pm) Exceptionally good food available from the restaurant or as a Bar Meal. Local pubs nearby if you just want cheaper option of Pub Grub.
A superb buffet breakfast awaits you in the morning: Continental or full English, leaving you ready to continue with your journey. Chosen initially on value for money but pleasantly surprised with the exceptional high standards of service and comfort. When I next drive South, I will always choose to break my journey at the Grand National. Thank you to all the Staff and very well done!

Room Tip: I had abooked a single room and the room had a comfortable double bed.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Liversedge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

In need of better bed linen, towels etc. Window would not lock, no fan in red hot weather, no hot water for 40 mins. Need I go on? Ok. View out of window was scruffy overgrown wasteland. The good thing was the lad on reception. Funny and friendly! Lots of car parking and close to the motorway

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bellshill, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife,daughter (15) and I had booked to stay here for 3 nights. We stayed one night. I had an A4 page of issues, which I gave the General manager. She promised to be in touch; I am still waiting.

No drinking water in any rooms - yes and I mean from the taps.

But they did give us a jug of water and 3 glasses. OK I had to ask four times and eventually get it myself but hey!!

There was no air-con so it was warm and we asked for a fan, Yep we got it and this time I only had to visit reception 3 times for it.

We were in room 26, lovely big room, well the floor creaked VERY LOUDLY and what are a few nails sticking up beneath the carpets.

The female receptionist was nice, mind you she did tell us she did not do"service" so why I should have expected any I don't know.

The barman/night porter/breakfast waiter were all one and the same person; he was genuinely helpful but had too much to do.

I could go on about the dirt, cobwebs, lampshades falling apart, poor internet connection; but hopefully you get the picture.

Advice: Don't bother stopping.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

booked two family rooms and a single which were confirmed online via e mail. Travelled 5 hours to be told they only had one standard room and a single and couldnt accomodate us... eventually gave us a broken z bed and I slept on the floor, sorry lay on the floor awake until I could leave at 7am! My daughter and her friend shared a single room and were kept awake all night by a drunk with his TV on full volume despite the 17 year old receptionist/ bar tender/ housekeeper/ porter entering his room at 2 am to swith off- Fawlty Towers it is not at least that was funny! Do not waste a moment of your time even thinking of going here- the streets would be a more comfortable option!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House

Been to Clayton Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!