“Comfortable hotel- terrific value for money!”

Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel
Leeds, West Yorkshire
“Comfortable hotel- terrific value for money!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2011

Stayed 2 nights for my daughter's wedding at Keele Hall. The beds were queen size & had lovely soft cotton bedding & were extremely comfortable. We stayed in room 53 which was small but quite adequate. Bathroom modern & clean with a good powerful shower.

We had the weekend package @ £119 for 2 nights B&B inc 3 course dinner on first night! Evening meal quite nice, breakfast excellent. Incredible value!

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Some rooms are larger than others
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Direct7
EmmaRhodes, Manager at Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Thank you for the delightful feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you had a most enjoyable stay. The room yuo stayed in was a standar size but we can offer larger executive rooms and the suite should you prefer a larger room next time. We do hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Leeds, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Recently stayed here for a wedding. Upon checking in we went to our room. The door was wide open when we got there, which seemed strange for a card-key hotel. we were in a rush and when we got to the reception, I had to run back up to the room for something and found that the door hadn't locked itself on closing. I tried numerous times to close the door but the thing just wouldn't lock. I complained at reception and was told a handyman would be up shortly. When he arrived he tried the door a few times but to no avail. When we returned to reception we were told there wasn't much they could do about it at all and that if we liked we could have all our belongings moved to a single room whilst we were out, which would have just been an inconvenience. In the end, the only help we were given was that the Do Not Disturb sign would be put on the door!!! Not exactly the most secure thing when the door wouldn't be locked the whole time we were out!

Later that evening we found we could lock the door from the inside only and being out for almost 12 hours had still not given the staff chance to fix the door!!!

I mentioned it the next morning and that clearly the maids must have known the lock was broken and was the reason it had been propped open the day before but they didn't seem to care, offering only apologies.

One massive redeeming feature was that the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had at a hotel!

Room Tip: Get a front room! No birds singing!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FameAsser
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2011

i stayed here on the 15th May, and what a pleasant expericene, receptinist very friendly and helpful, rooms just perfect, breakfast amazing, the lady who looked after us in the breakfast room very polite and friendly. i would stay here again, i was unsure when first arrving but once walking in the doors i was very pleased.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank vicsterloubury
EmmaRhodes, Manager at Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2011
Thank you for your lovely review, we do hope we can welcome you back soon.
birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2011

Myself and my son stayed over Easter weekend as my friend was getting married at the hotel.
So starting from the very beggining a few months ago... I rang to book the friday and.saturday night stay and asked for the discount rate for my friends wedding.I was told that there was no wedding that day!!.After some insistance that indeed my friend was getting married there, some 10mins or so later the detials were found and we were booked in.
Arrived at the hotel on good Friday to be told that there was no room reservation in my name!! Assured lovely receptionist that a deposit had been taken from my card and yes we were booked in.. She then discovered that we had been booked for the Sat/Sun rather then Fri/Sat!! Luckily there was a room available for us.

The room with two large single beds was very nice and clean, bathroom was also good. Overall decor of the hotel I would say is pretty good.

Included in our wedding guest package was a 3 course meal in the hotel restaurant. We were told that this was closed due to a private birthday party but we could order from the same menu but eat in the Kavi indian restaurant also part of the hotel...
This is where we encountered some problems.
1. The retaurant is very very dark, it has thiick blinds that cover all the windows. It was a beautiful sunny evening and I asked if we could have some natural light. The answer was no as the blinds do not pull up, fair enough. I aslked for some lights to be put on as I could barely read the menu it was so dark. This did happen but twice during our meal the lights were switched off again and I had to ask for them to be put back on!
2. My little boy aged 7 asked for a diet pepsi and this came tasting flat and nasty. He asked for another and it was just the same. He asked for coke the third time and there was fizz .. hooray.. I did ask the waiter if the pepsi was on tap or out of a bottle, he said on tap. What we noticed on the way out was a jug of pepsi on the fridge of the bar and no pepsi on tap at all. I do object to my son being served flat and nasty tasting pepsi not once but twice.
3. I asked for chargrilled chicken, baked potatoe and veg. I was served chicken in a sauce with mushrooms, fries and veg. When I pointed out the mistake the waiter insisted that this was chargrilled chicken, I then had to show him the menu and explain that chargrilled chicken did not come in a sauce with musrooms! No denying chips rather than baked potatoe so he offered to bring one for me. What arrived was a rock hard spud that had been put into a microwave for not long emough..disgusting.. As far as I coud see there was no chicken in sauce with mushrooms on the menu. so I suspect the chef served me what was on offer at the 30th birthday party going on that night! It did taste nice though..
On a positive note the waiter was polite and out starters and puddings were very nice.
What I mentioned above issues to lovley receptionaist she called the manager over and our drinks bill of £6 was refunded. Manger said he would have a word with the chef but he never came back to me with any explanation over the weekend.

The breakfast on both days was lovely..Hot traditional breakfast as well as continental choices and plenty of fresh fruit, yoghurts and cereals.The waitress was lovely and was always there to top up tea and cofee..

Ok so Saturday and the day of the wedding.. 4pm and room still not cleaned!! Rang reception to be told cleaning staff had all gone home but they would send someone as soon as. Room was cleaned later that day and to a high standard.

Now this is the Big One in terms of complaint..The beef that they served as part of the wedding meal was disgusting and I mean truly awful. You could barely cut with a normal knife and you really have to chomp and chew!! I had expected a few slices of high quality and tender beef with the veg and potatoes but what you got was 2 huge inedible beef steaks!! The father of the bride made a joke out of it and the grrom a former chef said that it would never have left his kitchen..Luckily the soup starter the veg and potatoes and pudding was nice. and filling.

The evening buffet food was lovely though and there was a pork sweet and sour that really did melt in your mouth ans lovely samosa..

I found the receptionist, cleaning,.waiting and bar staff to be very courteous and helpful throughout the weekend..

All in all I would recommend this hotel but please be warned about the beef if you are booking a celebration there.!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you Sir for taking the time to deiver the feedback both good and bad from your recent stay at the hotel. Firstly I apologise for the confusion you experienced on arrival with regard to your reservation. This is a very unusual incident at the hotel and appears just have been a simple human error.
I have addressed the issue raised with regard to the evening meals you ordered in the Kavi Restaurant, we expect all of our staff to know exactly what each meal is accompanied with and I fully agree this is very disappointing. Staff have since all be tested and as both yourself and I expect, all have an extensive knowledge of all menus and hotel facilites.
The feedback from the beef has also been addressed and we have now returned back to our previous supplier as we take our customer feedback very seriously.
I am delighted you found the room comfortable and clean and thank you for your kind words with regard to the buffet and breakfast.
I assure you that the minor problems you experienced and bought to our attention have all been addressed and we very much hope you return in the near future and see for yourself.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

A group of us stayed over the weekend and were reasonably pleased with our stay.

Plenty of parking and polite reception staff. Rooms were ok, although our shower (room 29) was pathetic, we did mention it to reception, but nothing was done about it. The other 3 rooms used by our party had no problem with showers. Beds were comfortable.

Location close to town and not too far from Alton Towers.

We had a meal at the Indian on site, which was very good indeed, infact it was a very high standard considering its a hotel based eaterie. The only slight problem being the waiter who wasn't particularly friendly and put our bill on the table even though we a) hadn't asked for it b) were still finishing our drinks c) the place was very quiet so really was no rush to get us away from table.

Overall value for money and I would have no problem going back.

• Stayed April 2011
EmmaRhodes, Manager at Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that you would happily return. I offer my apologies for the problems with the shower in your room this how now been rectified.
The hotel is in a prime location and easily accessible from the M6 A500, Train station and local airports. We are also as stated within a reasonable distance to the Alton Towers theme park so I do hope you find a reason to return again soon.
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

Staff very pleasant and helpful. Bed very comfortable and parking, right outside the front door of the hotel, a bonus after a long journey. Breakfast fine and reasonable value. The bathroom was tired and needed refurbishment. It also smelt (drains?) so that was why presumably the window was open on my arrival.

The whole hotel, though, needs decorating and money spent on it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank johntaylorEngland
EmmaRhodes, Manager at Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at the Ramada Newcastle udner Lyme Hotel I am delighted to read your kind words with regard to the staff , breakfast and location of the hotel. I would however like to address the issues you have highlighted with regard to the general presentation and condition of the hotel. The hotel had a refurbishment only two years ago which cost in excess of £3 million pounds. It is very disappointing that you described the bathroom as 'tired' as we are often complimented ont he contemporary decor of our ensuites. The smell from the drains you have highligted have also been checked by the onsite maintenance team and any problems that were present have now been resolved.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed a couple of times recently. Very warm welcome and good service on reception. Public areas reasonably up to date and obviously refurbished not too long ago. Both room s I stayed in were spacious with modern bathrooms. Heating had been turned off in the rooms a bit prematurely on the last stay, but was brought a fan heater when requested. Bar food good. Does feel like it could do with just a little more TLC to bring all public areas and rooms up to date. Fr the price though -it's a good deal.

• Stayed March 2011
I am delighted to hear the positive feedback from your recent stay. As i am sure you are aware the Ramada Newcastle under Lyme hotel offers only the highest level of customer service and demonstrates consistency in all areas of the hotel from the cleanliness, customer service and food so it is a pleasure to rceive your lovely feedback and appreciation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle-under-Lyme
Borough Arms Hotel
Borough Arms Hotel
#2 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme Hotel
Premier Inn Newcastle Under Lyme...
#1 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Moat House

Been to Great National Newcastle - Under - Lyme Hotel? Share your experiences!